• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

heflys20

Class AB amplifiers are inherently hot due to their inefficiency. Are you aware there's an auto-standby switch on the rear of the speakers that turns off the amps when not in use?
I'm completely baffled as to why they didn't use class D, personally. If one were to ask, I'm certain they'd say it has something to with the " musicality" of AB amps or some other bull...

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm completely baffled as to why they didn't use class D, personally. If one were to ask, I'm certain they'd say it has something to with the " musicality" of AB amps or some other bull...
well that's obvious, AB sounds better... but I really hate how that BASH plate amp is known to be unreliable and yet they still insist on a flat backplate and not with some protruding heatsinks...

heflys20

well that's obvious, AB sounds better...
I'd say that depends on design in terms of THD, but I do know that Class D is infinitely more efficient. I'd love to see how it performs vs the slightly more expensive KH 150.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor

YSC

Major Contributor
I'd say that depends on design in terms of THD, but I do know that Class D is infinitely more efficient. I'd love to see how it performs vs the slightly more expensive KH 150.
I don’t mean it literally, I mean, in common believe, “they sounded better”

heflys20

I don’t mean it literally, I mean, in common believe, “they sounded better”
Lol. Part of me thought you might not be talking literally. It's so hard to tell sometimes. I'm so used to people seriously talking about things like breaking in speakers, how specific cables magically changed the sound coming out their speakers, and musical amps. Lol.
Class D chip amps are truly dire in my experience. Only a few are okay.
I've never had trouble, personally. My old lsr305' could stay on for months and barely be warm to the touch. Some a/b amp m-audio monitors I had would get extremely hot and make a popping sound if they were on longer than a day.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Lol. Part of me thought you might not be talking literally. It's so hard to tell sometimes. I'm so used to people seriously talking about things like breaking in speakers, how specific cables magically changed the sound coming out their speakers, and musical amps. Lol.

I've never had trouble, personally. My old lsr305' could stay on for months and barely be warm to the touch. Some a/b amp m-audio monitors I had would get extremely hot and make a popping sound if they were on longer than a day.
Oh, I don't mean re: reliability, I mean re: sonics. They often are quite ugly above about 1k. Distortion shoots through the roof.

heflys20

Oh, I don't mean re: reliability, I mean re: sonics. They often are quite ugly above about 1k. Distortion shoots through the roof.
I guess it depends on the quality of the amp. If I recall, the revised Alphas with Class D performed pretty good with distortion.

musictracer

I left the speakers turned on(not playing music) overnight and the morning they were still hot! And at this point I felt like leaving for work without unplugging the toaster. Cause I already said in my previous post I will forget to use the switch 9 times out of 10,
I think that returning the speakers was a good thing to do indeed. And I am not referring to the hiss or the heat you got rid of as you mentioned, but to something you didn't mention and it is probably more critical. That is the electricity bill . You see that heat you experienced is a proof of significant power consumption even when idle. Could be 50watt for the pair easily. So leaving them constantly on wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know where you are located but in EU for instance we are starting to have really serious problem with the rise on the power prices, after corona and the so called "sanctions against Russia" which only had an impact in our economy , as the Russian Ruble seems to be completely unaffected, while the Euro constantly hits 20 years negative records against USD. (I hope this is not considered a political statement, it is simply a fact :) ) So yeah, good for you and your pocket returning the speakers, as apart from the bill , the components would wear out faster than expected. ;-)

IronPyrite

I think that returning the speakers was a good thing to do indeed. And I am not referring to the hiss or the heat you got rid of as you mentioned, but to something you didn't mention and it is probably more critical. That is the electricity bill . You see that heat you experienced is a proof of significant power consumption even when idle. Could be 50watt for the pair easily. So leaving them constantly on wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know where you are located but in EU for instance we are starting to have really serious problem with the rise on the power prices, after corona and the so called "sanctions against Russia" which only had an impact in our economy , as the Russian Ruble seems to be completely unaffected, while the Euro constantly hits 20 years negative records against USD. (I hope this is not considered a political statement, it is simply a fact :) ) So yeah, good for you and your pocket returning the speakers, as apart from the bill , the components would wear out faster than expected. ;-)
Using a power cost of 12 cents per kWh, a continuous 50w idle load would be $4.32 per month.

musictracer

Using a power cost of 12 cents per kWh, a continuous 50w idle load would be $4.32 per month.
Hey there IronPyrite!
How's the weather like in Seattle? I hope you are not planning moving to the EU anytime soon :)

Attachments

• wholesale electricity graph EU.jpg
    wholesale electricity graph EU.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 95

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are old. I bought mine 10 years ago and they were not even a new product at the time.

I mean class D was available then but I don’t think it was good and I doubt Focal would experiment with that stuff at that time. These were meant to be reliable, professional monitors.

The were really great and I enjoyed them but the issue for near-field use is that you will hear comb filtering effects if you just turn your head.

I’ve seen videos of professional folks with monitors with drivers inches apart but sitting within 3 feet of them. They must have trained themselves to sit with their heads in a certain position. Of course they have a need to double check their work on avantones or some point source system.

I hope someone who is an actual professional can correct me if i’m wrong. However I have heard it myself and that was the downfall of an otherwise nice sounding set of monitors.

Edit: also I would add there are ways to save power these days like adding a smart switch.

Last edited:

heflys20

These are old. I bought mine 10 years ago and they were not even a new product at the time.

I mean class D was available then but I don’t think it was good and I doubt Focal would experiment with that stuff at that time. These were meant to be reliable, professional monitors.
I'm referencing to the new model . Class D has progressed significantly, and their own Evo line uses class D. I'm more than certain (these cost $1500) they could have easily found an efficient, low distortion class D amp. It probably has more to do with alienating the purist crowd. The guys who are anti-dsp and so forth...

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm referencing to the new model . Class D has progressed significantly, and their own Evo line uses class D. I'm more than certain (these cost $1500) they could have easily found an efficient, low distortion class D amp. It probably has more to do with alienating the purist crowd. The guys who are anti-dsp and so forth...
I did not realize these were updated.

danbei

Well, Focal did actually produce the SM8 and SM11-(L|R|C) in the early 2000s (I believe it was before the first version of the solo 6), which were equiped with class D amp for the woofers, a DSP and an AES input. It really looks like they have rolledback to less controversial designs.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, Focal did actually produce the SM8 and SM11-(L|R|C) in the early 2000s (I believe it was before the first version of the solo 6), which were equiped with class D amp for the woofers, a DSP and an AES input. It really looks like they have rolledback to less controversial designs.
Wow that’s incredible. I had no idea. Way ahead of their time.

urfaust

I had the solo6 for a while, one of the best bookshelf ive heard, if not the best with a few culprits. Hiss was audible on a desk. They were getting hot indeed on a desk but that wasn't bother me much.
Highs were fantastic, i thought however the woofer crossover felt a bit low, leaving a tad too much to do for the tweeter which sounded amazing most of the time, if only a bit harsch/forward on some tracks but i trimmed it from the back at some point. Front port could be heard a bit at high volume but that was probably still better than a back port as i had them quite close to the wall.

Im willing to pick up the new versions reading all the improvements. Im just wondering for those who already have a pair if the hiss is still there?
By any chance if somebody has heard both versions, some comparisons would be fantastic to read of course.

Last edited:

dickiefunk

I’m also keen to find out more about the Solo6 ST6. Has anyone tested and done any performance measurements of these?
I’m currently using a pair of Neumann KH120’s which are great but am wondering how these compare!?

Top Bottom