• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure the difference in output z is of any significance in any circumstance.
biwiring is one

Power consumption....an additional 1.8w. Really? Take a look at a class A or AB.
  • nc400: 4.5W + 8W for the SMPS600 = 12.5W
  • nc500: 6.3W + 9W for the SMPS1200 + 0.8W for the hypex buffer (potentially more for a custom one) = 16.1W
That is a 3.6 more Watts heating the case idling, a 29% increase.
Idle current is of utmost interest for me as it dominates my total power consumption.

Not to mention the 500 is twice the power output so the design is different.
Twice the power at 8 ohms :
  • 8 ohms and higher : +3dB
  • 4 ohms : +2.4dB
  • 2 ohms : -0.22dB
Now that is the 1% THD rating.
If you take a look at the THD+N vs power curves you clearly see the nc400 fares better there (beyond the first few Watts that are dominated by N, and comparing a 13dB and a 26dB gain design is not meaningful there). So for example if we chose a 1kHz THD of -100dB (0.001%) as the power limit rating instead of -40dB (1%), these would be the rating we would get, looking at the curves:
  • 2 ohms: nc400: 140W ; nc500: 4W
  • 4 ohms: nc400: 250W ; nc500: 20W (with a plateau up to 200W)
  • 8 ohms: nc400: not published (but probably around 150W, or more), nc500: 30W
Now that is a different picture, maybe a bit provocative (sorry for that), but in the end one that is more inline with what I want from an amplifier, both in terms of power and distortion.

As a long time nc400 user I have considered the nc500 (pretty easy to source even for a DIYer, much easier than the nc1200 was at least), but I chose to stay with the nc400 because its power envelop was (more than) enough for my needs, and all other parameters are in its favor.

Now considering prices for a customer, the nc400 kit can be get for around 800€ from hypex, which is pretty similar in pricing to the base OEM implementations from nord or apollon, but requires assembling the case (pretty straightforward, but still), making the comparison interesting.

For me if one does not need those extra 3dB at 8 ohms, the nc400 is the better amp of the two.

All that being said, I will be legitimately curious to see what buffer solution you come up with, and how it will measure :)

Last edited:

Sylafari

@March Audio

Are the amplifiers set to release on schedule on I believe you said 1/19?

Also would you say performance in the real world (I'm sure the monoblock measures better but it seems like a small difference?) is similar across all the amplifiers or is the Mono block one possibly better?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
biwiring is one

• nc400: 4.5W + 8W for the SMPS600 = 12.5W
  • nc500: 6.3W + 9W for the SMPS1200 + 0.8W for the hypex buffer (potentially more for a custom one) = 16.1W
That is a 3.6 more Watts heating the case idling, a 29% increase.
Idle current is of utmost interest for me as it dominates my total power consumption.

Twice the power at 8 ohms :
  • 8 ohms and higher : +3dB
  • 4 ohms : +2.4dB
  • 2 ohms : -0.22dB
Now that is the 1% THD rating.
If you take a look at the THD+N vs power curves you clearly see the nc400 fares better there (beyond the first few Watts that are dominated by N, and comparing a 13dB and a 26dB gain design is not meaningful there). So for example if we chose a 1kHz THD of -100dB (0.001%) as the power limit rating instead of -40dB (1%), these would be the rating we would get, looking at the curves:
  • 2 ohms: nc400: 140W ; nc500: 4W
  • 4 ohms: nc400: 250W ; nc500: 20W (with a plateau up to 200W)
  • 8 ohms: nc400: not published (but probably around 150W, or more), nc500: 30W
Now that is a different picture, maybe a bit provocative (sorry for that), but in the end one that is more inline with what I want from an amplifier, both in terms of power and distortion.

As a long time nc400 user I have considered the nc500 (pretty easy to source even for a DIYer, much easier than the nc1200 was at least), but I chose to stay with the nc400 because its power envelop was (more than) enough for my needs, and all other parameters are in its favor.

Now considering prices for a customer, the nc400 kit can be get for around 800€ from hypex, which is pretty similar in pricing to the base OEM implementations from nord or apollon, but requires assembling the case (pretty straightforward, but still), making the comparison interesting.

For me if one does not need those extra 3dB at 8 ohms, the nc400 is the better amp of the two.

All that being said, I will be legitimately curious to see what buffer solution you come up with, and how it will measure :)
I would respectfully disagree with you there. 0.7 mohms will make no real world practical difference. The other resistances in the loop are too high in comparison.

Again with respect the idle power differences are utterly trivial. Dressing it up in percentage terms is misleading. 30% of naff all is naff all.
Just to put this into context I performed a running cost calculation based on Oz WA electricity price of $0.25 per kW/h. If you left the amps on 24 hours a day for a whole year, the 500 would cost an additional $8 AU or about $5 US. My suggestion would be to turn off when not in use. Then it's of neither any cost or ecological concern.
You are also not comparing apples with apples as the 500 is a more powerful amp. Period.

400 Pr/2 thd = 0.0007%, 500 =0.001%. So 0.0003% more distortion for twice the power. We can play numbers all day. Bottom line is its a more powerful amp with minor performance divergences from the 400.

I have built and used the 400 myself. Its fantastic. However let's not make the misleading comparison between a DIY option and a warranted performance tested and supported commercial product. Diy is a great solution for some, me included, but you are not comparing apples with apples.

Let's just agree to disagree so we don't bomb the thread with a circular conversation :)

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@March Audio

Are the amplifiers set to release on schedule on I believe you said 1/19?

Also would you say performance in the real world (I'm sure the monoblock measures better but it seems like a small difference?) is similar across all the amplifiers or is the Mono block one possibly better?
The stereo amps are ready to go bar one component. There is a small pcb that interfaces the power switch (piezo touch switch) with the amp and I'm stuck waiting for that at the moment. I'm saying end of Jan. The monoblocks might be a bit longer as there are some case mods to do.

The mono block is better technically performing than the stereo units. What differences you will hear, or what power level best suits you is an impossible question for me to answer. I'm not going to go full schill and say you should buy the monoblocks.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I have built and used the 400 myself. Its fantastic. However let's not make the misleading comparison between a DIY option and a warranted performance tested and supported commercial product. Diy is a great solution for some, me included, but you are not comparing apples with apples.
What do think the differences actually are? Alluding to an advantage does not necessarily make it an advantage.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Just a quick update on this, that PCB has arrived and the 3 stereo amps are ready to go. Will be going live on the website by the end of the week.

IMG_0636 small.jpg

IMG_0640small.jpg

IMG_0643small.jpg

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
OK one for @restorer-john . Running the baby P122 amp at rated power for 5 mins, similar to the FTC test. The unit was conditioned for over an hour at 1/8th power as per FTC specs.

The P122 is rated at 125w RMS into 4 ohms which is how the test was conducted.

Pre condition both channels: 8 v RMS = 16W RMS.
Rated power both channels: 22.7 v RMS = 128W RMS

No problems seen. Internal temp 43 deg C. Case top 34 deg C. Case bottom 37 deg C.

Biggest problem was that I had to re-upload the video muted because youtube automatically removed it due to the copyright music playing in the back ground!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OK one for @restorer-john . Running the baby P122 amp at rated power for 5 mins, similar to the FTC test. The unit was conditioned for over an hour at 1/8th power as per FTC specs.

Fabulous! This is excellent news.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'll allow de-rating due to heatwave conditions in Australia at the moment... ;)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It's annoying that the Web shop can only currently accept one currency type although can choose what, hence being international its best set to USD.

This can be a pain with potential credit card fees and exchange rates. However if you are AU based we can do direct bank transfer to avoid this hassle.

So
  • P122 - Stereo 125 watts into 4 ohms - $650. $900 aud
  • P252 - Stereo 250 watts into 4 ohms - $800. $1100 aud
  • P502 - Stereo 500 watts into 4 ohms - $1000. $1380 aud
  • P701 - Mono Block 700 watts into 4 ohm - $900 ea. $1245 aud

Last edited:
Reactions: pos
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom