• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for how to best use 2 Aiyima A07 amps

MAB

Major Contributor
In my mind, I’m nearly done with equipment purchases. I haven’t spent much and already have a taste of what true HiFi can can provide sonically- just need a bit more power and then I’m done. I believe the Emotiva BasX A2 will fit the bill but nobody here seems to want to give me their take on it. I was never looking for a lifetime quality product, but just something basic, compact, and good enough for my ears to be happy. Like I said earlier, I’m nearly there and I really don’t want to spend a ton on big, bulky, and heavy equipment. I’ve never heard the expensive stuff, so I’ll not know what I’m “missing” and therefore will avoid the bug that send me down the rabbit hole of audiophile insanity. Lack of $ prevents this from happening anyway so I’m naturally throttled in how deep I can or want to go. I’m in the “good enough” phase and only need a bit more power to open up any bottlenecks in my meager little system.
Understood!
I don't have experience with Emotiva. Of the few reviews here, it's a mixed bag. I want to like them but they have lots of modeels that seem to change regularly. I do have history with Niles as a home installer and I was always impressed with the reliability and the sound was really great. And the Niles home install amps could drive these devilish Infinity Kappas, which only a few amps could handle back in the day. There is one review on ASR for Niles and it pretty much mimics mimics my experience. In reality, lots of options out there. You seem to have a good plan...:cool:

OP
J
I don't own any Emotiva, nor have I heard anything particularly bad about them. I have thought of them myself if needing amplification above 100 wpc, but none of my speakers are especially demanding. I think you would be fine going that route if you are thinking of it as a 5-7 year kind of investment. And yeah, I'd love me some Benchmark equipment, but that's way above my price comfort zone too. The Aiyima is a good little amp but it really is designed for a 50wpc kind of push, I use mine with a 32v 5a power supply and don't want to push it further. It is happy there and works well in smaller rooms at medium volume levels. I rarely get mine above the 11 o'clock volume position with line level input.

There is kind of a a grey zone for new 100+ wpc class AB amps... Schiit makes one but that's more like $700-800. Emotiva is in that lower price zone. I think they have a return policy, I personally think you should give it a try!

You could of course go the restored vintage integrated amp route, but that would be something that might take some time, to find a good one with full restoration and happy at that 150 wpc level. Unlikely to find one cheaper than the Emotiva even if you were willing to wait...
Thanks for the advice, I do have a 1970’s Pioneer receiver that needs a full resto. It’s a low wattage model that’s in great shape externally but the left channel is shot (blows fuses) and couldn’t drive my speakers well anyway so it’s sitting in a closet atm.

If that power supply has been working reliably for you, I’d appreciate a link so I can avoid the crappy ones. My room is medium-sized but an odd layout and it’s not as if I listen to music full blast but I’ve heard more headroom will sound better at lower to medium volumes too. I would definitely like to try the power supply upgrade first just to see if that makes enough of an impact dynamically before pulling the trigger on the Emotiva.

Thanks again, for your the advice!

OP
J
Understood!
I don't have experience with Emotiva. Of the few reviews here, it's a mixed bag. I want to like them but they have lots of modeels that seem to change regularly. I do have history with Niles as a home installer and I was always impressed with the reliability and the sound was really great. And the Niles home install amps could drive these devilish Infinity Kappas, which only a few amps could handle back in the day. There is one review on ASR for Niles and it pretty much mimics mimics my experience. In reality, lots of options out there. You seem to have a good plan...:cool:
I probably would try it but I think the JBLs might pair better with a decent class A/B amp with a linear power supply (at least with my particular room acoustics). I’m pretty limited with where I can place speakers and it’s not ideal but sounds good to my ears but a tad “edgy” on my class D which keeps me from wanting to crank it up at times (especially with HiRez recordings that carry a lot more information in the upper frequencies). I think the Niles would pair nicely with my Polks since they’re already so smooth with their treble (a tad rolled off, but still detailed).

Tangband

Major Contributor
I probably would try it but I think the JBLs might pair better with a decent class A/B amp with a linear power supply (at least with my particular room acoustics). I’m pretty limited with where I can place speakers and it’s not ideal but sounds good to my ears but a tad “edgy” on my class D which keeps me from wanting to crank it up at times (especially with HiRez recordings that carry a lot more information in the upper frequencies). I think the Niles would pair nicely with my Polks since they’re already so smooth with their treble (a tad rolled off, but still detailed).
Keep an open mind and listen to the music carefully. There are expensive class A/B amplifiers thats worse sounding than Aiyima a07 ( measuring worse to ) , and the opposite is also true.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe something's wrong with your class D amp if it has a sound...

OP
J
Keep an open mind and listen to the music carefully. There are expensive class A/B amplifiers thats worse sounding than Aiyima a07 ( measuring worse to ) , and the opposite is also true.
I’ve heard the Emotiva amps are fairly transparent to the source but not quite as “dry” or “thin” sounding at certain frequencies like a lot of class D amps with similar topologies and chipsets tend to be (never heard a class D at higher price points- though I’ve read some can almost pass a class A/B sound wise ).

I have a Dayton Audio HTA100BT hybrid class D integrated amp with a tube preamp section that really does take the “edginess” off the top but loses some dynamics because of it. It’s only 50 watts into 4 ohms, but drives my speakers pretty well. It’s just a bit too laid back on most tracks but I could see this amp appealing to those who love a more mellow, non-fatiguing sound.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve heard the Emotiva amps are fairly transparent to the source but not quite as “dry” or “thin” sounding at certain frequencies like a lot of class D amps with similar topologies and chipsets tend to be (never heard a class D at higher price points- though I’ve read some can almost pass a class A/B sound wise ).

I have a Dayton Audio HTA100BT hybrid class D integrated amp with a tube preamp section that really does take the “edginess” off the top but loses some dynamics because of it. It’s only 50 watts into 4 ohms, but drives my speakers pretty well. It’s just a bit too laid back on most tracks but I could see this amp appealing to those who love a more mellow, non-fatiguing sound.
Why are you relying on subjective statements made by peeps that apparently have vivid imaginations about amps and their sound characteristics. Most amps have no sound characteristic(s) other than going louder due to higher power levels.

MAB

Major Contributor
By your description, my guess is what you are hearing is your amp running out of power and the distortion increasing. Is that maybe why you hesitate to crank it? I sure think so. Amps running out of power sound really really bad.

I have a Class D amp with super SINAD that sounds awesome, so do the Bryston A/B amps which also have lower but still great performance, and so does the Yamaha CA-2010 that has a Class A mode. All of these awesome amps sound like crap when I run them out of power and clip them. I also had a Topping PA5 that sounded great for a few days before it broke, I never clipped it but that would be one way to make it sound bad for sure.;)

Side note... here is how bad our brains and ears are: I believe I can hear the difference between the Bryston A/B and the Class D when driven to clipping, but that's because the Brystons have red clipping LEDs so I think it sounds harsher:eek:. Would need to ABX to tell which actually sounds worse! But the thing is, distorting amps sound bad.

So, yeah. Save up and buy a nice amp with 100 - 200 WPC. The definition of nice is pretty broad, but has certain specific criteria like reliability, stability, serviceability, and usability... And SINAD.

OP
J
Maybe something's wrong with your class D amp if it has a sound...
The most notable differences in sound comes from the speakers and my room. If all class D amps were built the same with the same components and topologies perhaps they would sound the same and be transparent to the source. I probably am hearing my preamp more so than anything else since the sound hasn’t really changed much from when I was using the built in amp as an all-in-one (Douk Audio ST-01). I’m using it currently as a preamp only since I wanted tone controls and remote volume capability.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The most notable differences in sound comes from the speakers and my room. If all class D amps were built the same with the same components and topologies perhaps they would sound the same and be transparent to the source. I probably am hearing my preamp more so than anything else since the sound hasn’t really changed much from when I was using the built in amp as an all-in-one (Douk Audio ST-01). I’m using it currently as a preamp only since I wanted tone controls and remote volume capability.
I think you're more imagining things than hearing specific componentry as you say. Could be your speakers. Could be your room. Not likely the electronics so much as you seem to think.

OP
J
Why are you relying on subjective statements made by peeps that apparently have vivid imaginations about amps and their sound characteristics. Most amps have no sound characteristic(s) other than going louder due to higher power levels.
That may be the case when they’re all made exceptionally well with great design and implementation, but that’s not the case for most budget gear that uses chips that may or may not be legit, does not implement their design topology very well and has to make compromises to achieve a profit for such a low MSRP. Most well made components tend to get out of the way and remain transparent to the source.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be the case when they’re all made exceptionally well with great design and implementation, but that’s not the case for most budget gear that uses chips that may or may not be legit, does not implement their design topology very well and has to make compromises to achieve a profit for such a low MSRP. Most well made components tend to get out of the way and remain transparent to the source.
Methinks you've been reading the cool-aid.

OP
J
I think you're more imagining things than hearing specific componentry as you say. Could be your speakers. Could be your room. Not likely the electronics so much as you seem to think.
You’ve never own a component that made your speakers sound rolled off and another one that made it sound not rolled off at all? Like someone else stated “maybe you’ve got a bad class D” well, yea! None of my amps cost more than $200! Perhaps the cheaper gear is highly variable and unreliable in its capabilities from one model to the next.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You’ve never own a component that made your speakers sound rolled off and another one that made it sound not rolled off at all? Like someone else stated “maybe you’ve got a bad class D” well, yea! None of my amps cost more than $200! Perhaps the cheaper gear is highly variable and unreliable in its capabilities from one model to the next.
LOL Touche okay, no, I don't usually buy the cheapest stuff or low power stuff either. I was the one who said the bad class D, too :) I think mostly it is fine within useful limits, tho. Like I said before, if you want an amp with more power, simply get one. A good power amp of reasonable capability is useful for a long time in many situations.

ps but phrasing the audible qualities by amp class is just wrong generally.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it's time to look forward to upgrading to a Buckeye Amps unit.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Perhaps it's time to look forward to upgrading to a Buckeye Amps unit.
Just a bit higher than the Emotiva...the Buckeye amps do look well-done.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Thanks for the advice, I do have a 1970’s Pioneer receiver that needs a full resto. It’s a low wattage model that’s in great shape externally but the left channel is shot (blows fuses) and couldn’t drive my speakers well anyway so it’s sitting in a closet atm.

If that power supply has been working reliably for you, I’d appreciate a link so I can avoid the crappy ones. My room is medium-sized but an odd layout and it’s not as if I listen to music full blast but I’ve heard more headroom will sound better at lower to medium volumes too. I would definitely like to try the power supply upgrade first just to see if that makes enough of an impact dynamically before pulling the trigger on the Emotiva.

Thanks again, for your the advice!
I'm just using this one from Aiyima...they sent it when I bought my A07 to replace my A04...runs cool, have had no problems with it...
Aiyima 32v Power Brick

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After Buckeye Amps added the custom input board the units became highly desirable and have a feature set worthy of a high end power amp.
Custom Input Board w/:
Neutrik XLR connectors
Gold plated 5-way speaker binding posts
Clipping Indication
Error Indication
Soft-start
Auto On/Off
12v trigger

OP
J
“Offering 250w into 4ohms ALL channels driven, our 2ch NC252MP option is the perfect stereo companion for high sensitivity speakers”

Curious why they say it’s perfect for high sensitivity speakers? Is it not able to drive lower sensitivity speakers well?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
“Offering 250w into 4ohms ALL channels driven, our 2ch NC252MP option is the perfect stereo companion for high sensitivity speakers”

Curious why they say it’s perfect for high sensitivity speakers? Is it not able to drive lower sensitivity speakers well?
It's just sales banter.

Top Bottom