• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for how to best use 2 Aiyima A07 amps

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think passive bi-amping is just a waste of time/wire for the most part. If you need a more powerful amp, get one. At least you have identical amps if you do the passive bi-amping thing....

Reactions: MAB
OP
J
I think passive bi-amping is just a waste of time/wire for the most part. If you need a more powerful amp, get one. At least you have identical amps if you do the passive bi-amping thing....
Yea, I was wanting to do two mono in parallel but apparently that requires some internal adjustment to work safely? I thought that since these amps are already internally bridged that it wouldn’t be an issue. Has anyone else tried this without changing things internally?

MAB

Major Contributor
Bi-amping (vertically or horizontally) will buy you nothing, except more expense and more wire (and increase the chance that an electronics reliability issue will strike). The supposed benefits of passive-bi-amp (or passive bi-wire) are not audible. You will not even get additional headroom or volume, not one bit. The aiyaima amp you have is marginally underpowered, you will likely benefit from a more powerful amp if you like listening at moderate to high volume, anything approaching realistic spl. Especially since your speakers are not high efficiency. And, the amp is not going to benefit much from a higher voltage power supply either, it will current limit to a great extent with these 6 Ohm speakers. You don't need to bridge them either, you need to move away from them in the long run.

I would focus on saving for an amp with 100 - 200 WPC. Two of the aiyamas (or any other low-power amp) will just keep you going in circles rather than actually improving sound.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, I was wanting to do two mono in parallel but apparently that requires some internal adjustment to work safely? I thought that since these amps are already internally bridged that it wouldn’t be an issue. Has anyone else tried this without changing things internally?
Not familiar with those amps but bridging is another thing that I think is largely a waste even if the amp is capable due the tradeoff with impedance capability....if you want a more powerful amp, get one....

MAB

Major Contributor
If I understand the amplifier's current capability, I think you will just end up with a bridged amp that has more voltage capability, but is limited in ability to deliver current (current-starved so to speak). You would end up with about the same power. I'm not even sure if they would be stable driving a low impedance load in bridged operation...

It seems the Aiyima is a nice lifestyle amp, but you should consider an amp that just has more power if you are looking to improve sound.

OP
J
Any recommendations for an adequately powered 2-channel class D or A/B amp under $500? I’m not opposed to buying used to get a better deal for the $ but would prefer new if possible.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations for an adequately powered 2-channel class D or A/B amp under $500? I’m not opposed to buying used to get a better deal for the $ but would prefer new if possible.

OP
J
That looks nice but it really needs to be under $500. Just out of curiosity, would this adapter work out of my 3.5mm preamp output? DISINO 1/8 Inch to Dual XLR Male Y-Splitter Cable,Unbalanced 3.5mm Mini Jack TRS Stereo Aux to Double Male XLR Adapter Interconnect Breakout Patch Cord - 3.3 Feet/1 Meter https://a.co/d/2Q1MTgH

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks nice but it really needs to be under $500. Just out of curiosity, would this adapter work out of my 3.5mm preamp output? DISINO 1/8 Inch to Dual XLR Male Y-Splitter Cable,Unbalanced 3.5mm Mini Jack TRS Stereo Aux to Double Male XLR Adapter Interconnect Breakout Patch Cord - 3.3 Feet/1 Meter https://a.co/d/2Q1MTgH
Yes, that cable appears to be the one.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a Crown XLS1002, or the 1502 if you can spend $35 over $500.....

MAB

Major Contributor
Here is 100 wpc for $420 (dude);). If you want more power you can actually buy a second one and bridge, or whatever you desire!
I like Niles, they have been making stuff for custom install for years. This one is sleek and minimalist. Their older gear was industrial-control-panel style.

I have a pile Marantz MA-150 monoblocks that I use for all sorts of amplification. Two of them used should be way less than $500. I have found them really reliable. I don't see them having an advantage over the Niles, which is new with a warranty.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a thread on the Sabaj A30a. Currently on sale at Hifi-express.

OP
J
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ll take a look at each one and compare them before I pull the trigger. I’ve heard good things about the crown.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Maybe a Crown XLS1002, or the 1502 if you can spend $35 over $500.....
My Aiyima a04 sounds better and clearer than my crown xli 1500 ( class A/B ) . If playing music at normal listening levels. There is probably measurable reasons for this , the xli 800 tested ( smaller brother to xli1500 ) in this forum was really bad.

xls 1502 ( class D ) is probably a good sounding amplifier.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Aiyima a04 sounds better and clearer than my crown xls 1500 ( class A/B ) . If playing music at normal listening levels. There is probably measurable reasons for this , the xls 800 tested ( smaller brother to xls1500 ) in this forum was really bad.

xls 1502 ( class D ) is probably a good sounding amplifier.
Never had that series of XLS (the old one), just the current drive core series myself (where the 1500 and 1502 are essentially the same except for case and a few features). Or are you talking about XLi series, I do believe the XLi 800 was tested here but don't remember any of the old XLS series being sent in....dunno why there would be a particular audible difference in any case.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Never had that series of XLS (the old one), just the current drive core series myself (where the 1500 and 1502 are essentially the same except for case and a few features). Or are you talking about XLi series, I do believe the XLi 800 was tested here but don't remember any of the old XLS series being sent in....dunno why there would be a particular audible difference in any case.
Yes I meant xli.

Holmz

Major Contributor

IMO - Just get a single AIYAMA A07 and the 48V power supply, which gives you more power.
There are better amps, but you’ll need to save up for them…
The AIYAMA should be good enough to not be a major problem or bottleneck.

Tangband

Major Contributor
IMO - Just get a single AIYAMA A07 and the 48V power supply, which gives you more power.
Yes, this will work without problems if you dont want to try biamping. Just remember to do the damping material mod inside your 530 and the sound will be even better.

MAB

Major Contributor
I don't want to be contrarian, but this amp is current limited below 8 Ohms, higher voltage power supply isn't going to add much if anything except more noise. See Amir's review and note that the power is saturating below 8 Ohms.
It has really good performance on noise and distortion, but it is not able to deliver more meaningful power. It's just not suited for high power, which isn't really surprising.

Combined with the fact that you have a very nice sounding speaker that is on the low-efficiency side, that has impedance down to 4 Ohms, means you will really get nothing with a higher voltage power supply on that Aiyima amp except nearly 10dB degradation in SINAD with the higher voltage power supply. Likely you won't hear the higher noise though, just the lack of volume. You might hear the additional noise if you h ad some super-efficient horns. Here is from the review:

Finally, we have a typical minimum impedance of 4 ohm:

JBL Studio 530 Speaker Monitor Imnpedance and Phase Measurement Points.png

Combine that with sensitivity of around 85 dB and this is not an easy to drive "horn" speaker.
I really recommend you need a more robust amp. This Aiyima is a great little low-noise device, but any plans to push it throw away it's intrinsic SINAD performance for no gains in SPL.

edit: added the link the the JBL530 review

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to be contrarian, but this amp is current limited below 8 Ohms, higher voltage power supply isn't going to add much if anything except more noise. See Amir's review and note that the power is saturating below 8 Ohms.
It has really good performance on noise and distortion, but it is not able to deliver more meaningful power. It's just not suited for high power, which isn't really surprising.
Sort of depends on the PSU used. The 48V one use in the review was limited to 3A, whereas the 32V supply could do 5A,
not surprising it struggled at lower speaker impedances.

This is the table Aiyima provide, though I'd need to see tests done to be confident in the figures (note - these figures will be at - I guess - 1%THD rather than the knee point Amir uses):

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 22.19.10.png
so it is

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom