• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

morillon

Major Contributor
Fails to pass DoP64 if I lower WiiM mini volume from WiiM Home app - my RME changes on display from "DSD" to PCM 24bit 176kHz

DoP64 rides on 24/176k PCM... so this results is perfectly expected.

Which is exactly why I wrote that DoP64 (and DTS) have long been considered great simple bit perfect tests (I wrote that here many pages ago).

So I'm personally not at all concerned by whatever digital distortion is shown by (potentially - I don't know) flawed digital captures.

In the digital domain, we only care about all the bits making it to DAC digital input... bit perfect transfer is all that matters.

excuse me
what is this "blabla"
this measurement also at the dac output...
analog output of the wiim

while pass or not the rme test... bit perfect or not etc
what concerns us, concerns you
it is:
strong distortion or not?
this measure, this control
(or means for that matter)
if not the case with you, so much the better!

in the end, more than the "postures", it's up to you to check at home whether you are concerned or not factually (even if you don't hear it by the way)

find 1khz or 10khz 0dbfs or imd smpte (very efficient to listen to) din ccif standardized at 0dbfs pk is not complicated (for those who want to find)

too bad for me
I hear it and measure it with my wiim

and you????

Icône de validation par la communauté

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it’s really good idea that Wiim incorporate a manual update where you can pick your firmware like updating a router has several choices from old to new.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Couple of things. I don't have the ability to run REW or whatever else is being used here, just the RME test files.

Expert on the RME forum confirms that the RME tests peak at 0db, and WILL NOT PASS if ANY distortion is present. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36207

You can generate dual test tones (and many others) here: https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php Note that if you try to generate the tones above -6db, it will fail, indicating "clipping detected". I can't tell from all the charts being thrown around here what level the two tones are, hopefully below -6db.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Couple of things. I don't have the ability to run REW or whatever else is being used here, just the RME test files.

Expert on the RME forum confirms that the RME tests peak at 0db, and WILL NOT PASS if ANY distortion is present. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36207

You can generate dual test tones (and many others) here: https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php Note that if you try to generate the tones above -6db, it will fail, indicating "clipping detected". I can't tell from all the charts being thrown around here what level the two tones are, hopefully below -6db.
All those wav files I have provided have peak levels below 0 dBFS. Simply listen to them on WiiM with fixed or full WiM volume.

morillon

Major Contributor

great ... you have the opportunity to verify their words
;-)))

it doesn't work that way..
it's more complicated depending on the signals...

invites you to use the rew generator...
remarkable efficiency and simplicity
very educational indeed ;-)
(to also salute the remarkable work of pkane .... its multitone also allows)

ps
it's even easier
same test
"before", wiim no worries
now worries
"before" , chromecast no worries
now...no worries
("before" wiim and chromecast very comparable)

;-)

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
I do not know. I've asked for FW downgrade but it wasn't done yet.
problems for me since just since few weeks
mi september, no
i explain that 20 times :oops:

ps
I imagine that your files were created with rew
just to enlighten
the -1.8dbfs is rms -0.13dbfs pk
the -3dbfs rms-1.33dbfs pk

it is important the "pk"...and why I have so often specified it

and why this generator is so "pedagogique"
;-)

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor

Did wiim gave you answer on what’s going on?
I did not restart..
I'm too fed up...
(ps as a reminder I bought a wiim 9 months ago for ..... nothing, deezer out)

but it is up to each other to do their tests and see if they are concerned or not thanks to the two files which have been very very kindly offered...
( me no
many have a cuckoo attitude
while mocking attacking etc to open the beak...
funny and so banal )

you do this tests?
me wiim big problem...chromecast..no problem...

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did not restart..
I'm too fed up...
(ps as a reminder I bought a wiim 9 months ago for ..... nothing, deezer out)

but it is up to each other to do their tests and see if they are concerned or not thanks to the two files which have been very very kindly offered...
you do this tests?
me wiim big problem...chromecast..no problem...
They may have been busy focusing on pro that’s why there’s little activity going.

morillon

Major Contributor
j'ai peur aussi
le service marketing-commercial... c est sûr,tres tres occupé...:facepalm:
et pour suivre...les pauvres gars des services techniques - support technique qui deviendrons fou pour essayer de rendre possible "les promesses" des autres:eek:

ps
onelyoneme a fait vraiment "le truc" pour avancer
les retours seront très intéressants
;-)

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Similar 2 test files but sounding different a bit.
OK, put both on my LMS server, listened to both through the WiiM at fixed volume. Don't hear a bit of difference, don't see anything odd on the RME's spectrum display, both look and sound identical. Just a minor difference in the level displayed.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Same with this pair. No difference through the WiiM at fixed volume. If the distortion should be obvious, it's not, at all. Nada.
Possible reasons you cannot hear the difference:
- not all WiiMs are affected
- you are extremely insensitive to distortions
- whatever else I can only guess about

I attach the files which express what I can hear and capture from my WiiM, to be played on any equipment. Distortions are part of digital audio data there.

Attachments

• bad_1.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
  • good_1.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 47

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Possible reasons you cannot hear the difference:
- not all WiiMs are affected
- you are extremely insensitive to distortions
- whatever else I can only guess about

I attach the files which express what I can hear and capture from my WiiM, to be played on any equipment. Distortions are part of digital audio data there.
Yep, I can hear the buzzing on the "bad" file straight through a USB connection to the RME. Don't hear it on your other files via the WiiM, so the other alternative is that there's something wrong in your test path.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yep, I can hear the buzzing on the "bad" file straight through a USB connection to the RME. Don't hear it on your other files via the WiiM, so the other alternative is that there's something wrong in your test path.
I could consider this if it's solely my issue. But it is not, so it seems to be a matter of subset of WiiMs with unknown criteria of being part of that.

Top Bottom