• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Not disagreeing, but in their defense, Hypex is more directly engaged here than others...

They are discrete even with their OEMs (am one for sake of full disclosure). All I can add is they are dealing with supply chain issues but expect they will have some positive news for ASR members very soon. :)
It will be interesting to see how the "new gen" amps apply to amps from NAD, Primare or McIntosh to name a few who have used them in their gear.

It may take a year or so, but those implementations should be interesting to see. Perhaps we'll see them sooner in smaller manufacturers such as Apollon, Boxem, Audiophonics or Buckeye.

However, the part I'd be more curious about is the implementation on active speakers and subwoofers.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Looking forward to these. One question I have for @Hypexsales is about the variable gain. I can see the jumpers in the photo, is the layout of the circuit such that it would be suitable to connect those to an external gain selection switch? Any precautions in doing so?
Good question. Not advisable at all. The jumpers are part of the gain circuit. Connecting wires to the jumpers would have a negative effect.

Sashoir

Forum Donor
From the AudioXpress link:

"As Hypex makes it clear (see interview) this is not the company's latest NCOREx technology which was announced last month. In fact, Nilai is a completely new amplifier technology. And as such, it is 10 times better than the original Ncore!

"We are extremely excited to announce this completely new Nilai Class D technology and a completely new amplifier module, the Nilai500DIY, for the DIY community. We have taken our exciting control-loop topology to a whole new level resulting in an immense performance upgrade compared to Ncore. The overall performance has increased by not less than 10 times!", says Hypex."

And silly old AudioXpress jumps on the company-driven hype bandwagon! Giddy up, you absolute clowns!

10 times better. Wow. Amazing. Let's see, shall we?

10 times better output power? Nope. Not remotely close.
10 times better signal to noise? Nope.
10 time less residual noise? Sorry.
10 times the frequency response/bandwidth? Not even near that.
10 times the warranty? No. What warranty? Do you even get a warranty?

10 times the hype and drivel? Yes! absolutely!

...the Dutch company says, is a completely new unique amplifier module that sets a new benchmark for high-end audio applications.

Benchmark for what? Self promotion? :facepalm:

I'll let you decide that...
Such claims would be 2.65 times more believable if they didn't use round numbers.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was browsing Siegberg Audio gear yesterday. Those speakers and specially subs, with even more power should be quite amazing.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
We know you have all been waiting for a long time but we finally have some news. We are happy to announce that pre-sales will be starting at the end of October 2022 for the Nilai500DIY mono and stereo kits. The first shipments will be done in November. For the seperate Nilai500DIY and PS500DIY modules we now expect to start sales in January 2023.
Nilai-1.jpg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hypexsales could you please share the datasheets? Thanks in advance.

Carlalex

Good question. Not advisable at all. The jumpers are part of the gain circuit. Connecting wires to the jumpers would have a negative effect.
Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but figured best to ask. I presume it's in the feedback control loop? (I'm more familiar with op-amp designs). If someone were pigheaded and tried anyway, would the concern be audio quality, stability, or possible damage if switched during operation using a break-before-make switch?

Last edited:

rbg

Hi, I may have missed: does it have an input buffer or we will have to source a separate “aftermarket” buffer boards?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I measured 15 W at idle for each of the 2 Hypex NC400…a bit too much indeed.
I'm not surprised by that, I can feel the case getting lukewarm when idle. Would be nice if they fix that .

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I may have missed: does it have an input buffer or we will have to source a separate “aftermarket” buffer boards?
It's in the article in the first post: "The new Nilai500DIY module comes with a discrete buffer stage and voltage regulators, just like the NC400 it will be replacing."

rbg

It's in the article in the first post: "The new Nilai500DIY module comes with a discrete buffer stage and voltage regulators, just like the NC400 it will be replacing."
Thank you, I see. I was expecting a paragraph from them :). Am I correct to read that it is the same buffer as in NC400, the one that if I recall need some notch filtering to work properly with many sources?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Thank you, I see. I was expecting a paragraph from them :). Am I correct to read that it is the same buffer as in NC400, the one that if I recall need some notch filtering to work properly with many sources?
The Nilai500DIY does not have exaclty the same discrete buffer stage. It is an improved one with selectable gain settings. The input gain can be adjusted with jumpers in 3 different settings (11,8, 21,8 & 27,8 dB)

dhaman

Looks great. With Topping DM7 or okto dac8 should be the best for 4 way active crossover solution. (Linkwitz lx521, etc...)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“And today, 20 years after the launch of our very first Class D amplifier, we want to thank the DIY-community that has always been very loyal to us. Their support played a very important role in our company’s success. We therefore thought that letting them be the first to exclusively try out this new technology was the right thing to do! The Nilai500DIY comes with a discrete buffer stage and voltage regulators, just like the NC400 it will be replacing. Together with carefully selected high-grade components the Nilai500DIY is our best amplifier to date. Besides the amplifier we designed a new power supply to match. The PS500DIY includes a PFC and standby power supply. Just like on the Nilai500DIY we selected high-grade components for optimized performance.

500W / 4 ohm
THD+N: 0,00015% (-116dB) @ 100W / 4 Ohm / 20 – 20.000 Hz
Output noise: 9,5µV @ 11,8dB gain
Gain adjust in 3 steps (11,8 - 21,8 - 27,8)
High fidelity components
Discrete buffer stage and regulators
Dedicated high-end power supply
Available in mono & stereo kits
100 x 100 x 40mm and 355g
More information about the Nilai500DIY and PS500DIY soon!

FFT 1kHz 10W @4R:
575320D1-BF8E-4FBD-8A24-FF84D06958DB.png

Reference: Hypex’s website for DIY constructors.

Like the NC400 before it, this will be the first, and best product: fully featured, simple to assemble, easy to use. Downside is cost is high.
Cost optimized, simplified versions will be available for OEMs (they have to make a profit, unlike DIYers) for high end, studio and audiophile applications (own buffer for product differentiation)

Hypex solutions are all scalable up/down to >2000/<20W and multichannel too: recall UCD32/4/6MP

I’ve had the NC400 (mono, stereo and dual mono) from a decade ago. I am satisfied with the transparency level.

What I’d like to know is: Is Nilai500 stable down to 1 ohm? What’s the current limit at 1 ohm?

Last edited:
Top Bottom