• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

rbg

The Nilai500DIY does not have exaclty the same discrete buffer stage. It is an improved one with selectable gain settings. The input gain can be adjusted with jumpers in 3 different settings (11,8, 21,8 & 27,8 dB)
Thank you. I am trying to google and can't quite find where I should buy those kits and boards from? I would appreciate if you point me to online store(s).

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you. I am trying to google and can't quite find where I should buy those kits and boards from? I would appreciate if you point me to online store(s).

Probably only available through Hypex

tktran303

Forum Donor

Yes initially via DIYclassD.com; Hypex’s own website for DIY products- It is their own website- buy with confidence.

Later, distributors may have the boards and PSU for resale.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What I’d like to know is: Is Nilai500 stable down to 1 ohm? What’s the current limit at 1 ohm?

Same here - I would like specifications and details for low impedance performance...

Perferably both 1 ohm and 2 ohm - but I would be happy with just the 2 ohm performance details!

Would also be nice to know the current limit for the Nialai500 on its own, as well as the combo with its own power supply (which will indicate whether you can eke out a bit more by choosing a better PSU....)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Recall that the NC400 was capable of 580W/2ohm and the fabled NC1200 was capable of 1200W/2ohm, but their 8 and 4 ohm rating exactly the same.

Nilai500DIY will be the first and finest, but more Nilai products will come to end-consumers.

Brief history:

Yes.... still want to see actual specs - and see the amps rated for those impedances.

diyhobby

We can annouch now that the Nilai mono and stereo kit as well as our pre amplifier kit will be available on the web shop upcoming Monday. So keep an eye out on the shop. We will release a newsletter and post on Facebook when they are online.
Will be able to use exsisting Hypex dsp main modules with the new amp modules ?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
@Hypexsales

How long will NC400s continue to be available?
that is a good questions. We will out face this module now. still have existing stock so it depends on how quick these are sold out. We expect still to have stock for a few months. Service on these modules will of course be done for several years and for out of warranty modules we expect to have replacements available for at least 5 years in total.

diyhobby

The current DSP we offer is not compatible for the new Nilai products.
I would like to have a crown amp replacement instead of a plate amp
Hypex done or done by an oem vendor. Dozens making nCore based amps but done with dsp

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not very encouraging for potential buyers of those last units... but your honesty is appreciated

Seems very reasonable to me (notably for niche DIY electronics). Have been in Hypex place and forecasting is tricky enough usually. End of life forecasting is a whole other level of uncertainty and parts are even worse. Often end up with too many and have to write them off. After a few years, many hobbyists are likely itching for an upgrade too. Am guessing Hypex ability to repair would likely be even longer than 5 years.

May be that I have lower expectations, but how long do you think Hypex should support?

MCH

Major Contributor
Seems very reasonable to me (notably for niche DIY electronics). Have been in Hypex place and forecasting is tricky enough usually. End of life forecasting is a whole other level of uncertainty and parts are even worse. Often end up with too many and have to write them off. After a few years, many hobbyists are likely itching for an upgrade too. Am guessing Hypex ability to repair would likely be even longer than 5 years.

May be that I have lower expectations, but how long do you think Hypex should support?
Well, I own an hypex based amp (commercial one, not diy) since aprox one year ago. Before that I had a Yamaha that I used for like 10 years and sold still working and before that I had a Sony that I believe was close to 18 years in use. So yes, I hope my hypex can be repaired for well beyond 5 years from now, as I believe many owners, certainly not all, but for sure many, hope too.
What is inside the box, if it is niche or is easy or not for the company to keep stock, is not my problem and I could not care less nor I am going to research when I purchase something.
It is true that maybe, only maybe, diy stuff goes by different rules and expectations, but still cost good money are are certainly not mean to be consumables. Just my opinion.

ABall

Forum Donor
Hands up anyone who is already intent on a purchase Monday..... I am looking for a DIY 8 channel amplifier so count me out, keeping a very close eye on this thread though.

ABall

Forum Donor
We can annouch now that the Nilai mono and stereo kit as well as our pre amplifier kit will be available on the web shop upcoming Monday. So keep an eye out on the shop. We will release a newsletter and post on Facebook when they are online.
How many power supplies would be needed for an 8 channel version?

goryu

I am contemplating building two 3 channel nilai amps and wish they would open up the selling on Monday to include individual modules and power supplies instead of making me wait another few months...

Top Bottom