• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DSA254 amp module

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More details from the new module based on NCOREx tech below. 4 x 250W or 2 x 500W will make them very versatile for multichannel amplifiers.

20240124111628_Hypex-DSA254-OEM-NCOREx-module-TWeb.jpg

exm

Interesting. I'm just about the pull the trigger on an 8-channel NC252MP amp. Sounds like it makes sense to wait a bit how this one compares.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Already Available:
1. Hypex NCx500
2. Hypex NC252MP
3. Hypex NC502MP
4. Purifi 1ET7040SA
5. Purifi 1ET400A
6. Hypex NC2k

Coming soon:
7. Purifi 1ET9040
8. Hypex DSA254

Alright, I’m officially lost. :facepalm:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
So besides hunting down this information from one source at a time, and wasting hundreds of hours understanding technical specifications (which not everyone can understand)...how would the user know which of these to buy?

We have buying guides for speakers, subs, and room correction....but nothing for amplifiers?

How did this happen? This is a major fail, IMO.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So besides hunting down this information from one source at a time, and wasting hundreds of hours understanding technical specifications (which not everyone can understand)...how would the user know which of these to buy?

We have buying guides for speakers, subs, and room correction....but nothing for amplifiers?

How did this happen? This is a major fail, IMO.
Since we are talking about opinions, mine is that buyers should not worry about what module is used but the overall performance.
I like taking the DAC chips as an equivalence. Some have everything embedded and the resulting performance is basically given by the datasheet, others need proper clocking, a nice I/V, filtering, ... And ASR users know very well that the chip doesn't do the performance.
If you take a NC252MP, it is almost plug and play, butchering it's implementation seems tricky and they basically all measure the same. Like an ES9080 chip. Now, on the other side of the spectrum you have the 1ET9040BA. Stellar performance, no integrated buffer or power supply and low input impedance. There is no way to have an amplifier at the level of the announced performance without a bit of work. Think composite opamp as a minimum. Equivalent would be the ES9039PRO.
Buying guides for DACs are based on the final product performance, it should be the same for amps.
IMHO.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As chairman Deng famously said "it does not matter if the cat is black or white, what matters is that it catches mice".

Get the right wattage for your speakers and that should be it.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't the power ratings in 2 and 8 ohms reversed in the table? I mean 1000W into 8 ohms looks reversed.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@boXem thanks, you are right. I guess this DSA254 module is a dream come true for multichannel amp manufacturers because with a single SKU in stock they can build all sorts of channels x power x price combinations the customers need.

Last edited:

exm

Is this simply an integrated 4-channel version of the NC252MP, or are there any other differences?

exm

Completely different animal. Needing an external power supply is the biggest difference.

So this module build in a 4/8/12/etc configuration should be more expensive compared to a NC252MP? However, what should be the benefits?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So this module build in a 4/8/12/etc configuration should be more expensive compared to a NC252MP? However, what should be the benefits?
As mentioned, one inventory sku for multiple applications. This is an OEM module not really meant for DIY though like other skus from them, it will find it's way into the community.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion 0.05% at 1W is a negative standout. How come this happens when using their new NCoreX tech?

exm

As mentioned, one inventory sku for multiple applications. This is an OEM module not really meant for DIY though like other skus from them, it will find it's way into the community.

I'm looking into an 8 channel NC252MP from one of the amplifier manufacturers out there. My point is to wait and see how the dsa254 offerings will fit in.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Distortion 0.05% at 1W is a negative standout. How come this happens when using their new NCoreX tech?
I'm looking into an 8 channel NC252MP from one of the amplifier manufacturers out there. My point is to wait and see how the dsa254 offerings will fit in.
This module is mainly targeted to manufacturers of pro audio. With customers having different needs than yours. Designing PA sound in a supermarket has not a lot to do with home audio. You guys are comparing apple to oranges.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If that was so why add their high end tech NCoreX into it instead of say UcD?

Top Bottom