• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PaperBoat

My studio monitor's soft dome tweeters are infected by fungus... Will it deteriorate the sound quality of those tweeters?
IMG_20221002_122628.jpg

Last edited:
OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Looks like dust to me. A vacuum cleaner will lift the veil. Promised. ;)
It's definitely fungus... Because it happens inside of the speaker packaging box! When I packed my studio monitors there was no dust at all...

Digby

Major Contributor
Where did you store them, in a garage or a loft? I suggest antibacterial (with alcohol) wipe, then let it dry before using. You don't want to breathe that stuff in.

MCH

Major Contributor
I don't know if it can deteriorate the sound, but i would make sure it can not deteriorate your health. My advice would be to get advice from someone who knows or directly get rid of the speakers.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Where did you store them, in a garage or a loft? I suggest antibacterial (with alcohol) wipe, then let it dry before using. You don't want to breathe that stuff in.
Stored them in my mini studio room... Will it deteriorate the sound quality of those tweeters? Should I use camel hair brush and alcohol? Please help.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I don't know if it can deteriorate the sound, but i would make sure it can not deteriorate your health. My advice would be to get advice from someone who knows or directly get rid of the speakers.
How should be it cleaned?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How should be it cleaned?
I would contact the manufacturer to ask that question. They'll know what cleaning materials/method can safely be used. Anyone here is probably guessing - unless they know the particular tweeter model being shown.

Paolo

What’s outside will be inside, you should open the speaker and remove everything with alcohol. And be extremely gentle while brushing.

I have to admit this is the first time I’m seeing expired electronics :D

Digby

Major Contributor
I would contact the manufacturer to ask that question. They'll know what cleaning materials/method can safely be used. Anyone here is probably guessing - unless they know the particular tweeter model being shown.
The suggestions given likely won't do any harm, but perhaps this is the thing you should do first.
Stored them in my mini studio room...
If that happened to those speakers, it is happening to everything else. Too much humidity and/or temperature swings in the room.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

The suggestions given likely won't do any harm, but perhaps this is the thing you should do first.

If that happened to those speakers, it is happening to everything else. Too much humidity and/or temperature swings in the room.
There is no hot air outlet vents in my studio room...

Digby

Major Contributor
There is no hot air outlet vents in my studio room...
Well, either add some ventilation (fan and door open), use a dehumidifier, change studio room - there is going to be ever more mould if you leave stuff in that room as it is now.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Well, either add some ventilation (fan and door open), use a dehumidifier, change studio room - there is going to be ever more mould if you leave stuff in that room as it is now.
Warrenty left for only a month... would JBL accept my warrenty claim? I doubt it...

Digby

Major Contributor
They would blame the storage environment and they'd be right. It'd be easier to clean them than return. I doubt it has impacted the tweeter performance, it is probably just growing on the surface.

Whatever you treat it with, you don't want to saturate the tweeter, just use minimal fluid to kill the fungus, this is why I suggested using a wipe or perhaps isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip/cotton bud.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

They would blame the storage environment and they'd be right. It'd be easier to clean them than return. I doubt it has impacted the tweeter performance, it is probably just growing on the surface.

Whatever you treat it with, you don't want to saturate the tweeter, just use minimal fluid to kill the fungus, this is why I suggested using a wipe or perhaps isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip/cotton bud.
I already have cleaned those tweeters with two camel hair soft brush... The fungus is now gone but leaves trace on tweeters... Those tweeters are now looking faded... Shiny coating is gone... Should I use alcohol?

Digby

Major Contributor
If you cleaned with just a brush, that won't kill the fungus, just move it around/make it into smaller pieces, probably that is why the tweeters look dull. I'd contact JBL and ask for their advice before you do anything else.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Yiu might try a soft-bristled artist's paint brush on it.
I did it already... I have two soft brush one is squirrel hair and another one is camel hair... I applied those brushes on the infected tweeters and it worked very well... But I don't know how much damage happened internally...

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

That stuff may actually improve the sound....

...........I can see it now: Audiophiles taking their speakers into the bathroom to encourage mold growth while they take a steamy shower!
What! Are you serious? :oops:

Top Bottom