• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Someone should measure a crushed dome tweeter

Clmrt

I side with the "it's trashed" crowd when I see a pushed-in dome tweeter.

I'm certain it'll produce sound, but even when pulled out, if any imperfections remain, the sound will be altered.

I did have some L810 speakers back in the day, and those did get pushed in, especially the mids. The textile domes with the tacky coating came back perfectly. I'm speaking more toward the metal / plastic types.

Any prediction on how such damage would affect performance?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots more break-up modes. Of course, many people might not notice. Ears aren't real picky at those frequencies.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I side with the "it's trashed" crowd when I see a pushed-in dome tweeter.

I'm certain it'll produce sound, but even when pulled out, if any imperfections remain, the sound will be altered.

I did have some L810 speakers back in the day, and those did get pushed in, especially the mids. The textile domes with the tacky coating came back perfectly. I'm speaking more toward the metal / plastic types.

It has already happened in diyaudio.

The damage that was measured was not about the visuals but about the (usually) deformity of the delicate VC which tends to wide with the force applied to the dome.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I rest the OP, my mind went straight to those old A/D/S drivers, as well!

Very easily popped back after parties. My sister had the L810s, I remember the phenomenon well!

Acoustic Research was similar. A little help from a prod from a safety pin and back into battle.

Thanks for the smile!

Top Bottom