• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

GaryH

Major Contributor
If you really want low frequency extension, I would suggest equalization, or the FiiO FH3 as I have them and posted measurements a few pages back. They do a much better job at replicating the subwoofers in my main system. The Truthear Zeros roll off under 50 Hz quite a bit so they give a midbass emphasis. I'm very skeptical of hearing 8 Hz both from these or any speaker, but we'll see. I'm told mine will arrive in 2 days.
Yeah the FH3 have impressive sub-bass, almost linear down to 10 Hz (although the treble is pretty uneven):
Screenshot_20220927_174358.png

The Sony MH755 are the real King of the Sub-Bass though:
Screenshot_20220927_174701.png

It's still rising at 10 Hz :D The Truthears are seriously lacking in this department compared to IEMs like these (and to a lesser but still significant extent compared to the Harman target).

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
If you really want low frequency extension, I would suggest equalization, or the FiiO FH3 as I have them and posted measurements a few pages back. They do a much better job at replicating the subwoofers in my main system. The Truthear Zeros roll off under 50 Hz quite a bit so they give a midbass emphasis. I'm very skeptical of hearing 8 Hz both from these or any speaker, but we'll see. I'm told mine will arrive in 2 days.
I am currently matching my PA5+Mythos system with this IEM, so no need for me to proceed any further, thanks very much.

The only issue is that I find them a bit fatiguing after some 45 minutes of playing...

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
The only issue is that I find them a bit fatiguing after some 45 minutes playing...
This seems to be a common issue with the Truthears once the initial hype-bias dies down and the showroom broadband elevated upper-midrange / treble over and above the Harman target becomes apparent. Try this EQ, which will bring that region down closer to the target, and should make them less fatiguing.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
This seems to be a common issue with them once the initial hype-bias dies down and the broadband elevated upper-midrange / treble over and above the Harman target becomes apparent. Try this EQ, which will bring that region down closer to the target, and should make them less fatiguing.
Thank you.
Lovely people hereabouts...

The maker recommends in the operating manual to have a rest after around an hour...

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I got them! Great if you like in ears, IEM.:) BUT if you, like me, don't really like IEM and still give a IEM a chance, the result will be....nop.

Having said that. In themselves, its performance, if you like IEM, they are great. So there is nothing wrong with them in that regard, on the contrary. With these IEMs the sound is superb (subjective impression and of course extremely influenced by all the superlative subjective praises I read in this thread)
So what I've heard, when I've listened (when they're not popping out of the ears, or about to slip out) is actually really good but...you should like IEM from the start. No Harman curve in the world can change that in itself.

Stiff inflexible headphone cord. Strange, but maybe that's how it should be, what do I know. I'm not really a headphone guy.:)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Stiff inflexible headphone cord. Strange, but maybe that's how it should be, what do I know. I'm not really a headphone guy.:)
You mean the curved part? If so, that is supposed to be that way to drape over the ear and keep it there. Rest of it is very flexible.

Jhify

Yes, it comes with seven pairs: six of white silicone and another one of foam in black.

I couldn't get any good seal but with the big ones. I'd take a guess that the ones with the larger looking canal might be a bit less V-shape to my hears but I really don't trust my brain to do any good comparison when it takes 1 minutes to swap them out. It's be interesting if Amirm could run a sweep with the left ones to see if there's any audible difference.

DanielT

Major Contributor
You mean the curved part? If so, that is supposed to be that way to drape over the ear and keep it there. Rest of it is very flexible.
The aim is probably to reduce the risk of them popping out of the ears. That in itself has never been a problem for me. I only have slack in the cable in the IEMs I've tested before, with a non-rigid, loosely hanging cable. The sound in TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero superb. :) BUT you have to like IEMs as such.

"Rest of it is very flexible", yes. :)

F1308

Major Contributor
Finally spent some time trying out the different tips in a neutral environment (not mowing the lawn). I must say the ones with the small holes provide a much more balanced response. The large hole versions are way too bright to my ears.

I couldn't get any good seal but with the big ones. I'd take a guess that the ones with the larger looking canal might be a bit less V-shape to my hears but I really don't trust my brain to do any good comparison when it takes 1 minutes to swap them out. It's be interesting if Amirm could run a sweep with the left ones to see if there's any audible difference.

Remember to perform a little twist after inserting, backwards.

Try while listening this astounding recording...

I feel the bass going down to my collarbones....

And going north of the bass....

Yes, strings taken apart from a wire used for the brakes of a bicycle, placed on a bamboo tube, then tuned by moving some little pieces of wood up and down and it is ready, just have fun with your friends !!!!

And if you want an eternal loop in the mid tones, this is it....

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Es
For those wanting better base maybe they will follow with a variation model the sub zeros;)
Better bass or more bass...?

I can't stand-by to hear that MINUS 16 Hz tone !!!!

Last edited:

Joel

These actually make me want to try some higher-end IEMs because they are so good I wonder what "better" would sound like! I don't like the feel of IEMs but I've tried a few cheaper pairs and these are the first ones that (comfort aside) I don't find myself reaching for a pair of over-ear headphones after a song or two.

They work very well driven my Qudelix 5k but I'm sitting in the studio listening via Apogee's constant current headphone amp in my Symphony Desktop and (totally subjective bias) it seems to balance out the sound a bit more and bring out some more detail in the mid-high frequencies.

Joel

Just received my pair and tried them out. Fit great. Clarity great. Tone great. Bass.... well just a tad too much. Others feel that way too. But for $50 there is not much to complain about. These will be my new airplane earphones which I take for travel. It's sometimes nice to hear different speakers when they are still good but different because I enjoy small changes in the music I listen to. Kind of as one would go to a live show the sound is not what was released on the cd But when the bass is too great, it just keeps reminding you when you listen to your songs. What's out there which is just as good but with less bass?
Did you try the tips with the wider openings? I found that balanced the bass out a bit more.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also found them a little bright/harsh in the top end compared to some other IEMs I have. Despite the mild treble emphasis I also think they are slightly less resolving/detailed.
EQ works great, more in line with my HD600 and Neuman KH120. While tonally similar to lx521, obviously a very different sonic experience.

Damn, what a bargain!

GaryH

Major Contributor
higher-end IEMs
'High end' / 'low end' etc are just misleading terms invented by dealers and perpetuated by reviewers to drive sales of higher priced products that don't necessarily sound any better. Just use the Qudelix's parametric equalizer if you want better sound (try this EQ).
totally subjective bias
Totally.

muza_1

Just received mine and they are really good if a little bit harsh in the mid-highs, tried Maiky76 EQ and the harshness is all gone, also to me the quality and quantity of low-end is just right (using the smaller diameter tips and Maiky76 EQ).

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally spent some time trying out the different tips in a neutral environment (not mowing the lawn). I must say the ones with the small holes provide a much more balanced response. The large hole versions are way too bright to my ears.
The ones with the "small holes" you mention meaning internal narrow bore - it's not surprising you like those best as those deliver the frequency response as measured by Amir. The internal wide bore tips or "large holes" decrease the bass, so that's why you like the small holed internal narrow bore version.
Now I got them! Great if you like in ears, IEM.:) BUT if you, like me, don't really like IEM and still give a IEM a chance, the result will be....nop.

Having said that. In themselves, its performance, if you like IEM, they are great. So there is nothing wrong with them in that regard, on the contrary. With these IEMs the sound is superb (subjective impression and of course extremely influenced by all the superlative subjective praises I read in this thread)
So what I've heard, when I've listened (when they're not popping out of the ears, or about to slip out) is actually really good but...you should like IEM from the start. No Harman curve in the world can change that in itself.

I'm also not convinced IEM's are for me, I've been using these for the past few days and they've started irritating my ears - making them more itchy and the right one is getting sore. They do sound good, but not really any better overall than say my equalised HD560s over ear headphones - and the soundstage properties are different too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom