• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
400px-Vinyl_chloride_Polymerization_V1.svg.png

vinyl chloride → polyvinyl chloride (PVC)

Simple as that. :)
One word: plastics!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can we at least enforce a Frank Zappa rule, that any post (a 'solo') that blathers on past a certain length incurs a fine?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone explain why this garbage thread is approaching 1,500 posts?

Like many discussions here it has become Meta

Law of Meta Discussions: In very analytical communities, debates will have a tendency to shift from arguing about the subject, to arguing about the argument itself. ("...and that's how we know the Earth is round." "That's not what you were arguing for five pages ago." "You're citing me out of context." "You've been citing your sources out of context for twenty pages! Here's a hundred examples of you doing that." "Here's a lengthy, bullet-pointed refutation of each of those examples." ...And so on.) When this happens, the debate has run its course and is on the verge of becoming either flamey or horribly boring, and/or getting locked.
It is well beyond the "horribly boring" phase now

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
As a FWIW: class D is making tremendous inroads in the guitar world. This is because these days there are thousands of guitar effects pedals available and so any guitarist can sculpt their sound to be uniquely theirs. Tube guitar amps (unless you have a smaller amp, which counterintuitively are favored by a lot of metal bands) tend to be heavy and fragile, not the easiest thing to work with when doing shows. So the lighter and more reliable class D amps (serious ones, not the toys that started showing up a decade ago) have been taken very seriously by working musicians.

The guitar market has pretty well kept tube manufacturers in business. As more successful class D guitar amps show up the tubes are going to get edged out. That will get tricky for them as the tubes can make distortion that is hard to duplicate with solid state sometimes. Of course low signal types can be used to do that but if the manufacturer can't afford to make them they could vanish too.
I have built 4 tube based guitar amps - 2 from Weber Kits and 2 from scratch. I also have modified many - lost count - to fix something or change the distortion desired. Preamp tube
distortion is primarily clipping but making it asymmetrical is interesting. What is more desirable - IMO - is output transformer distortion where the core saturates and the B+ supply sags and then recovers as the power chord or note decays. The problem with that plan is if the amp is more than 1 watt you are pretty loud. One of the scratch amps I built used a self-split 6N1P push-pull for about 1/2 watt beautiful distortion. One trick pony but it did that trick well. The other scratch amp used 6V6's in self-split push-pull for about 8 watts out. Adding a pedal board gets the range of sounds. Then one day I see this Boss Katana amp in Sam Ash with loads of effects, 12 inch speaker, 1/2 watt or 25 watt or 50 watt output. Plus easy to pick up. All that for $250! Have not plugged in my tube amp or pedal board since.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
1500 post and no one has delivered the true answer. The kids are all about non binary.
That is, Its fashionable, thats it, no big secret. Turntables get you likes on facbook. But so does cutting your dick off and I don't understand that either.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
That table doesn't necessarily contradict what @Waxx said.

To do so, it would have to show specifically revenues from audio kit AND would have to show the total revenue of all the smaller audio web stores combined.

As it is it only shows which online stores individually have the biggest revenues for all stuff sold - and is not a particular surprise.
Well frankly it's all a bit irrelevant as far as the actual point goes - everything indicates that most people buying LPs these days are using cheap and nasty turntables, which leads one to think that sound quality isn't actually the driving force.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well frankly it's all a bit irrelevant as far as the actual point goes - everything indicates that most people buying LPs these days are using cheap and nasty turntables, which leads one to think that sound quality isn't actually the driving force.
Just the same as saying most people listening to digital music these days are listening on phone speakers or at best cheap bluetooth speakers. So perhaps quality isn’t the issue there, either.

Jaxjax

I have built 4 tube based guitar amps - 2 from Weber Kits and 2 from scratch. I also have modified many - lost count - to fix something or change the distortion desired. Preamp tube
distortion is primarily clipping but making it asymmetrical is interesting. What is more desirable - IMO - is output transformer distortion where the core saturates and the B+ supply sags and then recovers as the power chord or note decays. The problem with that plan is if the amp is more than 1 watt you are pretty loud. One of the scratch amps I built used a self-split 6N1P push-pull for about 1/2 watt beautiful distortion. One trick pony but it did that trick well. The other scratch amp used 6V6's in self-split push-pull for about 8 watts out. Adding a pedal board gets the range of sounds. Then one day I see this Boss Katana amp in Sam Ash with loads of effects, 12 inch speaker, 1/2 watt or 25 watt or 50 watt output. Plus easy to pick up. All that for $250! Have not plugged in my tube amp or pedal board since.
Thats a decent amp that I gave away in another shot at doing that.. My friend needed a practice amp
I'll gladly take my Princeton reverb & pedal board & when i'm pissed off I go to music room & plug a full 64 a/b stack..all 10"'s & KT 66 Whitney & dime the damn thing !!! wonderfull stuff !!!!w/ no pedal needed for that crazyness..lol
but in all fairness I could do clean with all pedals except dirt...Haven't found anything that beats clean boosted tube front ends, let alone output tube distortion & sag
I had a numbered 1 of 500 SS amp that put QSC in the eye. It is how they got started. Came with a very very nice Altec 12" & cleans were sublime.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thats a decent amp that I gave away in another shot at doing that.. My friend needed a practice amp
I'll gladly take my Princeton reverb & pedal board & when i'm pissed off I go to music room & plug a full 64 a/b stack..all 10"'s & KT 66 Whitney & dime the damn thing !!! wonderfull stuff !!!!w/ no pedal needed for that crazyness..lol
but in all fairness I could do clean with all pedals except dirt...Haven't found anything that beats clean boosted tube front ends, let alone output tube distortion & sag
I had a numbered 1 of 500 SS amp that put QSC in the eye. It is how they got started. Came with a very very nice Altec 12" & cleans were sublime.
The Katana is not perfect, but neither is my playing ability. The half watt setting is a beautiful thing for the occasional practicing I do for my own enjoyment. I don't have room to leave a pedal board out with the tube amp - both banished to a closet for now.

Newman

Major Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
The people who are most delighted with my LP system are young people ...My granddaughter was and is riveted ...the record player is cool.
And now you, Sir, can be added to the list of reasons why the vinyl renaissance will continue for generations to come. You, Sir, are part of the Problem. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is, Its fashionable, thats it, no big secret. Turntables get you likes on facbook. But so does cutting your dick off and I don't understand that either.
Now that's the best post I've heard on this thread so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that's the best post I've heard on this thread so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well if we are after a means of getting likes on Facebook - then I am definitely favouring the turntable. :eek:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does cheap have to do with it? You can get incredible good turntables for $80 used or less. $40 for a new needle and most are good to go. That’s what I did (after spending months on this site learning what audibility thresholds and how those impact me and my 50 year old, non-golden ears and how the rest of the chain effects sound.

Nasty, sure, but what measurements are you using to support that those cheap turntables are also nasty?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
1500 post and no one has delivered the true answer. The kids are all about non binary.
Turntables - good.
1664324415653.jpeg

Cutting dick off - bad.

1664324386803.jpeg

Top Bottom