• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

jevchance

The more insane thing is all this high-end stuff. Taking the recordings, speakers distortion and background noise floor that we have, any amplifier with enough power and at least 80 SINAD measurement is all we need.

Over that, i pay for the reliability and constructive quality ... more in brands that showed this in many time ... that aspects also cost money. Something only few people consider in this forum.

To be clear, Topping has had a fairly good reputation until this lemon came along. Their devices are generally well-constructed, attractive, and have a high value proposition. Nobody really knows what went wrong with this particular unit, and Topping has been pretty quiet about it.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be clear, Topping has had a fairly good reputation until this lemon came along. Their devices are generally well-constructed, attractive, and have a high value proposition. Nobody really knows what went wrong with this particular unit, and Topping has been pretty quiet about it.

It's ok ... but how many years in market have Topping? .. and how many years / lemons have marantz or yamaha? (as an example, as i see you have some Marantz)

oceansize

Forum Donor
Yeah, the L30 destroying people's headphones did no harm to Topping's reputation.

jevchance

It's ok ... but how many years in market have Topping? .. and how many years / lemons have marantz or yamaha? (as an example, as i see you have some Marantz)

Topping has been around since 2008. I've never had trouble with any of my Marantz units, but they had a similar known issue with bad HDMI boards in their home theater receivers some years ago. I also had a Denon AVR-X4500H, also by Sound United, fail on me. Any company can have a lemon, it's what you do to correct the situation that indicates integrity.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Topping has been around since 2008. I've never had trouble with any of my Marantz units, but they had a similar known issue with bad HDMI boards in their home theater receivers some years ago. I also had a Denon AVR-X4500H, also by Sound United, fail on me. Any company can have a lemon, it's what you do to correct the situation that indicates integrity.

Ok - so you are saying that they also have no integrity?

Last edited:

mike70

ping has been around since 2008. I've never had trouble with any of my Marantz units, but they had a similar known issue with bad HDMI boards in their home theater receivers some years ago. I also had a Denon AVR-X4500H, also by Sound United, fail on me. Any company can have a lemon, it's what you do to correct the situation that indicates integrity.

You are comparing more than 100 years in the market (Yamaha) and above 60 (Marantz) ... And you remember one problem with HDMI?

And in the other hand you have a great failure in only 15 years?
I don't need to say anything more.

JohnnyNG

I've got a PA5 (going on 8 months), D90, Pre90, and L30 (new version). No problems at all with any but I'll be really disappointed if my PA5 gives out - just perfect in my setup with Revel M106.

jevchance

Ok - so you are saying that they also have no integrity?
I would say, if they don't step up to make the situation correct for PA5 customers, that would be correct.

xaon60

I renovated a room from A to Z in my house to install my computer and audio equipment. It's an old house (~ 1900), the walls are cob, almost 20 cm thick, OSB plates + non-woven paper + paint. The floor is carpeted.

As a reminder, I have the d90SE DAC, the PA5, two Klipsch R-820F columns and an R-115SW subwoofer.

For two days (being aware of the problems on this amplifier), I push the volume to see what he has in the belly. It's a projection of green wood! The sound, only on the columns, is hard-hitting to slam into the bones! The treble, brilliant on these columns, is very clean. The mediums are deliciously designed.
With the extra subwoofer, it's completely explosive.

The amplifier heats up slightly, but I have never noticed any failure so far.

Happy!

anli

Have not found PA5 output impedance graph. Has anybody measured it?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To be clear, Topping has had a fairly good reputation until this lemon came along.

Please don't compare this Topping fiasco to a lemon. Lemons will get offended and they deserve better.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not the only Topping model to have major issues and for Topping to go black on it.

mike70

And you have an amplifier like the Benchmark as "in same class" to the pa5 ... relative to SINAD, of course.

But ... apart of class AB / D ... people need to understand why really good electronics (considering ALL aspects) aren't very cheap.

There's no magic ... you can't develop a high QC process, with good warranty, good materials, only high skilled employees and mass consuming delivery ... with a very cheap price tag. I think one century of experience in audio electronics shows that.

You need to spend 5k to have a really good amplifier? No.
But ... open your eyes when you have a superlative amplifier at 500 usd. Something was left in the way, surely ... and I think in this case is QC / Reliability ... one of the primary aspects over performance for me.

Ricardus

So I'm looking for a good 100 WPC amp to power some nearfield studio monitors, and I was looking for something like this that performed well, but ideally was more reliable.

I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, but is the jist of it that this amp's reliability is just crap?

xaxxon

So I'm looking for a good 100 WPC amp to power some nearfield studio monitors, and I was looking for something like this that performed well, but ideally was more reliable.

I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, but is the jist of it that this amp's reliability is just crap?
I was originally planning on buying a second. I will not be buying a second and if I could refund my first one I would.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, it has a history of failures and very poor customer service for backup to fall back on.

xaxxon

Yes, it has a history of failures and very poor customer service for backup to fall back on.
I've had good service from topping, just not the amazon seller I'm forced to work with that requires me to lie about the value of the amp to customs. Though honestly I'm not sure I'm lying if I say it's worth $20. That may be over-valued.

Top Bottom