• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Holmz

Major Contributor
So I'm looking for a good 100 WPC amp to power some nearfield studio monitors, and I was looking for something like this that performed well, but ideally was more reliable.

I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, but is the jist of it that this amp's reliability is just crap?

RCAs or XLRs?
If you have RCAs then the AIYAMA A-07 is good at $70, and more power (like 300W) using a higher voltage power supply.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AIYAMA A-07
Yeah it has some gumption if one buys the bigger power supply.
zzz aiyima.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly right @Doodski

Going to be using one for a centre channel, which is an 8 ohm speaker and says use 100-200W.
Wiring it up this weekend as the higher voltage SMPS arrived.
From what I am aware of the AIYAMA A-07 has been chugging away doing it's duty while the Topping breaking down stuff has made nothing short of enemies. Topping with it's breaking down models is causing issues with my usual model choices when asked for recommendations. It's a pain in the butt. :D

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RCAs or XLRs?
If you have RCAs then the AIYAMA A-07 is good at $70, and more power (like 300W) using a higher voltage power supply.
I can use either, but balanced would be first choice.

Ricardus

VTV works out to be ~$539 shipping unknown.
Ima check Buckeye Amps and see if he offers anything.
Offering the:

Hypex NC252MP for $579.00 shipping included I think it is.​

View attachment 231372
Oooh, I'm liking the Buckeye. Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh, I'm liking the Buckeye. Thanks!
Check out this part especially.>

Custom Input Board w/:

• Neutrik XLR connectors
  • Gold plated 5-way speaker binding posts
  • Clipping Indication
  • Error Indication
  • Soft-start
  • Auto On/Off
  • 12v trigger

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ricardus the pics and everything checks out very well. The layout, construction and stuff like that is exemplary. The amps have been tested here at ASR and engineering was done to improve stuff. They are simple plain jane but engineered properly and are functioning out in the field doing well.

Ricardus

@Ricardus the pics and everything checks out very well. The layout, construction and stuff like that is exemplary. The amps have been tested here at ASR and engineering was done to improve stuff. They are simple plain jane but engineered properly and are functioning out in the field doing well.
That's all I needed to hear!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's all I needed to hear!
For sure! The really cool, part is this. (All channels driven.) :D

NC252MP Specs (all channels driven):

• 180w per channel @ 2ohms
  • 250w per channel @ 4ohms
  • 150w per channel @ 8ohms
Case Dimensions: 7” wide x 13” deep x 3.5” high

Holmz

Major Contributor
Exactly right @Doodski - I have some of the Hypex 500W jobs bridgeable. But at 8 ohms, we divide by 2, so it all goes away.
Kind of the opposite of an 8ohm amp that smokes with a 4 ohm load… but does 300W into 8 ohms.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly right @Doodski - I have some of the Hypex 500W jobs bridgeable. But at 8 ohms, we divide by 2, so it all goes away.
Kind of the opposite of an 8ohm amp that smokes with a 4 ohm load… but does 300W into 8 ohms.
I want to see a 1kHz sine thermal stability test of some decent class D amps. heat signatures, temp vs current metering and protection/shutdown all metered out for our viewing pleasure. :D

Holmz

Major Contributor
I want to see a 1kHz sine thermal stability test of some decent class D amps. heat signatures, temp vs current metering and protection/shutdown all metered out for our viewing pleasure. :D

I am not employed byTopping, so I am disinclined to help them improve their product to the point it works without failing.
Sort of like I am disinclined to use a self check out,

And the market does not give me an employee discount, nor would Topping.

They can do their own work.
Plus everyone says labour costs in the US are too high… (as they go to Walmart or UPS to work). So it is cheaper for Topping to do it in China.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not employed byTopping, so I am disinclined to help them improve their product to the point it works without failing.
Sort of like I am disinclined to use a self check out,

And the market does not give me an employee discount, nor would Topping.

They can do their own work.
Plus everyone says labour costs in the US are too high… (as they go to Walmart or UPS to work). So it is cheaper for Topping to do it in China.
I still want to see that....lol :D

JeremyFife

..... because ... ??
... because there seems to be a design flaw with the PA5. When they work - and many do - they are great. Some fail (loss of one channel) and it's a PITA to get them fixed. Ratio of failing units is unclear but many users here are concerned.

Key issue is Topping's silence on the root cause and whether new units are still affected or not. Until we know that the problem is solved it's a risk.
It's a nice amp, it's your choice
@TOPPING-Service

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
assuming the XLR version is actually balanced (vs just a built-in "adapter") why would you ever get the RCA version? You can just get an adapter for rca=>xlr but you can't go the other way without losing the benefit of XLR.

Of course if they're both the same price it's probably just a 'for show' XLR as a fully balanced system should cost more.
You don't get the benefit of XLR with an RCA to XLR adapter either. You only get the benefit of a balanced connection if it is balanced right the way through.

iLoveCats

So I'm looking for a good 100 WPC amp to power some nearfield studio monitors, and I was looking for something like this that performed well, but ideally was more reliable.

I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, but is the jist of it that this amp's reliability is just crap?
I'm probably buying another PA5 as I look upon my failed NAD M10, thats out of warranty. Faced with a $3000 replacement cost, I'm going to roll the dice on another Topping PA5 for $350 and a Chinese DAC.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm probably buying another PA5 as I look upon my failed NAD M10, thats out of warranty. Faced with a $3000 replacement cost, I'm going to roll the dice on another Topping PA5 for $350 and a Chinese DAC.

Why? Just stop p#ssing around and buy some proper HiFi. Get a decent Yamaha integrated with an onboard D/A and spare yourself a few decades of replacements.

Top Bottom