• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.2%

• Total voters

Adaboy4z

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Noire has the bump, but no meta material...

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the ear cups the same size inside as the Stealth´s (width and depth)? (@Dan Clark)
I tried the Stealth once and the cups were wide enough (other than the Noire´s) but not quite deep enough for my ears.

JanesJr1

Dan Clark has talked about this extensively, try to google interviews on the Stealth. it's all part of it's AMTS system. "It integrates waveguides, diffusion control, quarter-wave, and Helmholtz resonators into one compact structure." He craft the tonality not trough passive electronics but physics.
I mentioned this above, but the Noire has the same FR bump, but not meta-materials.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, why is this evaluated as OK?

1663020163812.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the ear cups the same size inside as the Stealth´s (width and depth)? (@Dan Clark)
I tried the Stealth once and the cups were wide enough (other than the Noire´s) but not quite deep enough for my ears.
"Oh Granny, what big ears you have!"

But on a serious note, that's a major design plus for a headphone, fully incorporating your ears without touching them if possible - it helps comfort and also helps soundstage if I've related my experiences correctly.

Oukkidoukki

That's interesting, and I don't not believe you....comparing headphones is difficult and fraught with pitfalls.........and to be fair I wouldn't expect an accurately EQ'd cheaper headphone (as long as you chose the right one with low unit to unit variation, etc) to sound appreciably worse than the perfect headphone being reviewed here. But the truth remains that this is the best measuring open back headphone that hits Harman Bass as well as the rest of the frequency bang on without EQ and producing super low distortion.....so no other headphone can claim that, and that's worth something.
You need to test yourself and draw your own conclusions. For me it didn`t turn out as I though. Same happened with chord dave and Focal Utopia. Is that it? I thought. Something like Beyer 1990 and cabable amp gets too close to justify. But maybe thats just me.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, why is this evaluated as OK?

View attachment 230480
Because in that 10kHz area the measurements become increasingly unreliable with small seating changes, so ideally you'd do multiple measurements of a headphone whilst reseating it somewhat roughly on the "dummy head/ears" - then you'd average the results to achieve your final measurement. Because Amir shows just one representative measurement then the inaccuracies around/above 10kHz are more apparent.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're meaning in the channel matching. The shortfall from 6-8kHz also comes slightly under that banner, although that might be a real attribute, probably a real attribute.

Yasuo

Wonder when (or if?) the headphone revolution will happen - same as with DACs or class D amps (something which was very expensive many years ago, but now you have premium sound for a fraction of that price). Will a HP like this ever be 10% of its actual price?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to test yourself and draw your own conclusions. For me it didn`t turn out as I though. Same happened with chord dave and Focal Utopia. Is that it? I thought. Something like Beyer 1990 and cabable amp gets too close to justify. But maybe thats just me.
Yeah, you're fine

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder when (or if?) the headphone revolution will happen - same as with DACs or class D amps (something which was very expensive many years ago, but now you have premium sound for a fraction of that price). Will a HP like this ever be 10% of its actual price?
Yes, if the motivation for that goal in the industry continues on that trend. Fortunately, we have good measurements from Oratory & Amir & Crinacle & Resolve so we can EQ headphones to the target of our choice (or Harman) - but of course unit to unit variation & pad wear is a spanner in the works in terms of our experience as well as specific headphone/anatomy interactions that can't be predicted. So yes, we're part the way there already, especially if you use EQ...but the next step is personalised DSP based on your own anatomy to really make headphones properly sound like speakers - we're not there yet, unless you spend over $4000 for a Smyth Realizer and I can't vouch personally for that experience, but there's a fair few bonafide individuals here that say Smyth Realizer is groundbreaking/breathtaking.

LearningToSmile

Very nice. Will I ever buy it? Probably not. But it's nice that it exists. The warranty really should be better at this price, but maybe it's the spoiled European in me talking.

I also hope the tech trickles down to lower end offerings. Like an Ether CX v2 with flat bass so as to not cannibalize the TOTL headphonees, but with the smooth high frequency response at a lower price.

spartaman64

i once tried the stealth and didnt like it that much but apparently it might be because my glasses makes it not seal properly. i really want to try the expanse because it probably isnt as reliant on the seal

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it could easily take the place of my HD 800 and LCD X, but I'll have to chew on this decision for the better part of 2023.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it could easily take the place of my HD 800 and LCD X, but I'll have to chew on this decision for the better part of 2023.
Like I said to the other guy, keep the HD800 until you've heard the Expanse......the soundstage is really the main thing you're not gonna know from the measurements, assuming both headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve from dummy head measurements.

Top Bottom