• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows Audio File Conversion Software

rochambeaux

Are there any differences between the myriad of applications out there that convert from one format to another?

Specifically I'm looking for an application to convert my FLAC collection to OGG, AAF, etc. so I can take them along on my SmartPhone (FlAC collection won't fit and phones with SDCard slots are unicorns these days).

Thanks in advance!

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there any differences between the myriad of applications out there that convert from one format to another?
No, unless one is badly coded or uses an outdated version of the libraries needed to encode/decode. I use Foobar to convert between formats.
phones with SDCard slots are unicorns these days
There are plenty of Android midrangers with SD card support, that applies more to the high-end segment, where they want you to pay more for the storage.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd use foobar2000. It has the reputation of being the best Windows audio player out there but it also has excellent conversion capability.

My midrange Sony Xperia 10 II has microSD slot and I have a 1TB card in mine, big enough for my music collection in flac, and lots of other stuff too.

OP
R

rochambeaux

No, unless one is badly coded or uses an outdated version of the libraries needed to encode/decode. I use Foobar to convert between formats.

There are plenty of Android midrangers with SD card support, that applies more to the high-end segment, where they want you to pay more for the storage.
Thanks. Maybe the next time I'm in the market for a new phone I'll take that into consideration but "downgrading" my S22 Ultra just for the SD Card slot doesn't make sense at this time.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I generally use Kabuu Audio Converter. Once you've set-up your output format and output location you can just drag-in a folder full of files and "click".

Are there any differences
Almost all of them are based on FFmpeg, and maybe LAME for MP3 so the differences are usually in the user interface and the formats that they choose to support.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
dBpoweramp Music Converter has a best sample rate converter but ain't exactly cheap, other than that Foobar2000 will be just fine (even more than that with great maintenance and codecs support including WavPack [FFmpeg also]).
Then upgrade your S22 Ultra and get Sony flagship instead. My old Sony (XZ1) has all I need and as long as battery can last a day I won't change it.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
SOX.

Some example .bat scripts.

deemph cd ripped .aiff files 16/44.1 in and out:

for /F "usebackq tokens=*" %%a in (`dir /b C:\Temp\SoxInput\*.aiff`) DO start /b /wait "" C:\sox-14-4-2\sox.exe -S -V2 C:\Temp\SoxInput\%%a -b 16 C:\Temp\SoxOutput\%%~nxa rate -v -s 44100 deemph stats""

Convert 16/44.1 cd ripped .aiff files to 24/192 .flac:

for /F "usebackq tokens=*" %%a in (`dir /b "C:\Temp\SoxInput\*.aiff"`) DO start /b /wait "" C:\sox-14-4-2\sox.exe -S -V2 "C:\Temp\SoxInput\%%a" -b 24 "C:\Temp\SoxOutput\%%~nxa.flac" rate -v -s 192000 stats""

KID3 tagger.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@rochambeaux but seriously what's bad with Galaxy Buds Pro (set to clarity EQ preset) with Samsungs codec or SBC successor as you already probably have them?

OP
R

rochambeaux

dBpoweramp Music Converter has a best sample rate converter but ain't exactly cheap, other than that Foobar2000 will be just fine (even more than that with great maintenance and codecs support including WavPack [FFmpeg also]).
Then upgrade your S22 Ultra and get Sony flagship instead. My old Sony (XZ1) has all I need and as long as battery can last a day I won't change it.
Thanks. I've looked at the Sony phones the last couple of iterations but that 21:9 screen ratio is a deal breaker for me - I don't watch a lot of video on my phone. Plus, the camera is way overkill for me (I'm one of those relics that uses a mirrorless camera setup) and that's a major feature/cost element in a Sony.

OP
R

rochambeaux

@rochambeaux but seriously what's bad with Galaxy Buds Pro (set to clarity EQ preset) with Samsungs codec or SBC successor as you already probably have them?
I have better TWS earbuds - it's not the earbuds or CODECS (Snapdragon Sound will improve on that soon) - it's all about storage space. For my FLAC library I need close to 1 TB TB. Doesn't make sense to switch from a current flagship (S22 Ultra) just for an SD Card slot... Converting down my library is the best option IMHO.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@rochambeaux unfortunately they (no one) don't make them like ZX1 anymore. It survived at least 100 fall's in last 4 years and still works like charm. For me that's a most useful future that it doesn't brick and works as supposed.

OP
R

rochambeaux

@rochambeaux unfortunately they (no one) don't make them like ZX1 anymore. It survived at least 100 fall's in last 4 years and still works like charm. For me that's a most useful future that it doesn't brick and works as supposed.
I'm guessing that it's beyond Android OS updates at this point? I guess you could always "convert" it to a DAP player and get a new phone but then you're carrying 2 devices around...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I leved that hype train regarding updates and security patches some time ago (being an XDA developer). Now I just enjoy that it works as supposed and that I am not anybodies Guinea pig.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have better TWS earbuds - it's not the earbuds or CODECS (Snapdragon Sound will improve on that soon) - it's all about storage space. For my FLAC library I need close to 1 TB TB. Doesn't make sense to switch from a current flagship (S22 Ultra) just for an SD Card slot... Converting down my library is the best option IMHO.

I used to feel the same as you...

I had a Galaxy Note 9 with 512GB on-board and another 512GB microSD card. The combined 1TB was just about enough to hold my whole FLAC library and life was good...

Then the AMOLED screen died on the Note 9 and I wasn't about to spend £300+ to replace the screen on an almost 3 year old phone (even a flagship one!).

So I bought a Poco F3. The F3 was less than the price of a new screen for the Note 9, it also quite a bit faster than the Note 9. I have to 'make do' with only 256GB of storage, but I don't really need to carry my whole library around with my anyway (I use the ticked/unticked feature in MusicBee to create a playlist that is around 250GB to sync to the F3). Life is good again :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks - I'll take a look at it since I have ~20K files to convert. Hoping that since I have an i9-10900K the app can use all 20 cores.
dBpoweramp has core limiting ability, don't really know what's SMP limit regarding max core count (whose interested in opposite to eliminate possible codec quality SMP degradation [known in video codecs] when I did tests). Don't wory re encoding is fast, meta data transfer sometimes knows to make bottlenecks.

Top Bottom