• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows Audio File Conversion Software

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dBpoweramp has core limiting ability, don't really know what's SMP limit regarding max core count (whose interested in opposite to eliminate possible codec quality SMP degradation [known in video codecs] when I did tests. Don't wory re encoding is fast, meta data transfer sometimes knows to make bottlenecks.

IIRC - I've had dBpowerAmp ripping at 48x from CD and using all 16 logical cores of my Ryzen 7 1700X to write out to FLAC in real time i.e. it was ripping and encoding a CD in around a minute and a half.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale yes Mi's hybrid SIM try.

There's no hybrid slot on the F3. I also have the X3 Pro which does have a hybrid slot. However, I didn't like the IPS screen on the X3 (my last 3 or 4 phones have been AMOLED), so I gave the X3 to my son and bought the F3. The F3 is great apart from the camera which I knew would be a bit of a let-down after the Note 9.

OP
R

rochambeaux

I used to feel the same as you...

I had a Galaxy Note 9 with 512GB on-board and another 512GB microSD card. The combined 1TB was just about enough to hold my whole FLAC library and life was good...

Then the AMOLED screen died on the Note 9 and I wasn't about to spend £300+ to replace the screen on an almost 3 year old phone (even a flagship one!).

So I bought a Poco F3. The F3 was less than the price of a new screen for the Note 9, it also quite a bit faster than the Note 9. I have to 'make do' with only 256GB of storage, but I don't really need to carry my whole library around with my anyway (I use the ticked/unticked feature in MusicBee to create a playlist that is around 250GB to sync to the F3). Life is good again :)
Problem here in the States is that most of those brands require buying through resellers or other shady avenues...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
There's no hybrid slot on the F3. I also have the X3 Pro which does have a hybrid slot. However, I didn't like the IPS screen on the X3 (my last 3 or 4 phones have been AMOLED), so I gave the X3 to my son and bought the F3. The F3 is great apart from the camera which I knew would be a bit of a let-down after the Note 9.
Than something like Galaxy M52 for the convenience, hybrid SIM slot whose for reminding me that such phones still exist.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Than something like Galaxy M52 for the convenience, hybrid SIM slot whose for remaining me that such phones still exist.

The screen failure on my flagship Samsung phone made me disinclined to buy another from the company. I actually had a somewhat similar experience with the original Galaxy Note which I had to send back for service twice. I swore i'd never buy another Samsung phone again and managed 8 generations of Note before breaking my word!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I would recommend fre:ac

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Berwhale well you have either Samsung Amoled (which by the way is also in F3) or LG POLED which is rather inefficient for such and recently BOE (which I don't know how it is).
You gave me an idea for my next phone if Xperia dies soon to consider Moto G82.
@Apesbrain have a read and enjoy.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale well you have either Samsung Amoled (which by the way is also in F3) or LG POLED which is rather inefficient for such and recently BOE (which I don't know how it is).

Yes, I know the F3 has a Samsung AMOLED in it, but what can you do? The whole phone still cost less than the just the screen for the Note 9. I'm thinking i'll keep the F3 for a year or so and then switch to something with a cleaner OS (all of my phones between the Note 1 and 9 were either Google Nexus or OnePlus). The F3 does have a bit of bloatware and some occasional ads on it (despite me turning it all off).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes, I know the F3 has a Samsung AMOLED in it, but what can you do? The whole phone still cost less than the just the screen for the Note 9. I'm thinking i'll keep the F3 for a year or so and then switch to something with a cleaner OS (all of my phones between the Note 1 and 9 were either Google Nexus or OnePlus). The F3 does have a bit of bloatware and some occasional ads on it (despite me turning it all off).
F3 has seen a lot of costume ROM's development (and will have a long lasting support regarding such) so you don't really have to stay at MIUI (which ain't all that bad) but there are those for purists like Pixel Experience (for example) and as long there is developer's traction they will both be more ironed out and more secure than any firmware one.
Best regards.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F3 has seen a lot of costume ROM's development (and will have a long lasting support regarding such) so you don't really have to stay at MIUI (which ain't all that bad) but there are those for purists like Pixel Experience (for example) and as long there is developer's traction they will both be more ironed out and more secure than any firmware one.
Best regards.

I joined XDA-Developers in 2005 when I owned XDA phones (running Pocket PC), I have been running Android phones since 2010 (an HTC Desire which ran Andriod 2.1 Eclair out the box). I got bored with nandroid backups, rooting, custom ROMs, etc. sometime in the later half of the decade. Having a rooted phone also became an issue for work, so I keep everything stock now.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, that seems like a good methodology but where is SoX among the tested resamplers?

OP
R

rochambeaux

Thanks -
So then the question becomes FLAC to..... based on my noob research it appears to be a toss up between AAC and OGG.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I joined XDA-Developers in 2005 when I owned XDA phones (running Pocket PC), I have been running Android phones since 2010 (an HTC Desire which ran Andriod 2.1 Eclair out the box). I got bored with nandroid backups, rooting, custom ROMs, etc. sometime in the later half of the decade. Having a rooted phone also became an issue for work, so I keep everything stock now.
I whose first at MoDaCo, didn't like crowd at XDA. It's a same thing with me, people get tired from patching.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok, that seems like a good methodology but where is SoX among the tested resamplers?

BeerBear

Are there any differences between the myriad of applications out there that convert from one format to another?
In some cases yes. For example, some AAC encoders perform much better than others and they're not available everywhere. Like the Apple/iTunes AAC encoder, which is very good, but it's proprietary and can't be included in other apps. But you can extract it from iTunes and then use it with qaac/foobar2000 (in fact that gives you more options than if you just use iTunes).

More accurate sample rate converter than SoX.
The dBpoweramp/SSRC resampler is included in foobar2000 out of the box. Unless dBpoweramp uses something else that I don't know of.
Those two have been compared here, for example, and there's pretty much no difference between them.

Ok, that seems like a good methodology...
I disagree. For one, because it involves a reduction to 16bit (with dithering), which just makes resampling itself harder to evaluate. Second, because 44.1-88.2 is an integer ratio and not the best stress test for resamplers. And finally, because there are better ways to compare files, with something like DeltaWave or even RMAA.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@BeerBear I really love when you don't want to read!
See the posts above. Nothing wrong with that direct competition to original. Of course you have right to disagree.

BeerBear

@ZolaIII I did see your post with those screenshots in the link.
It just shows two different noise profiles of two different dither settings. It says nothing about resampling quality.

PS: I don't think the OP of this thread cares about either resampling or dithering. He seems interested in converting to lossy formats.

Top Bottom