• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone read his latest paper: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Stereo-height--Kunchur.pdf ?

High-end Amplifier with 80 SINAD and 97dB SNR? Really? That is hardly transparent, nor SOTO.

Edit: to be fair, the Spectral also specs better numbers than 0.01%. But that's not the point. The point is that he thinks these numbers are fine for a high-end amplifier.
Well having done series testing of the Spectral, way back when I had hearing to around 17 khz, it was simply straightwire with gain. No one I knew could hear me switch it in and out. I would argue it was totally transparent SOTA or not. Audibly it was SOTA. As the current saying goes.....fight me on that!

Now nothing against better performance for less money..........

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well having done series testing of the Spectral, way back when I had hearing to around 17 khz, it was simply straightwire with gain. No one I knew could hear me switch it in and out. I would argue it was totally transparent SOTA or not. Audibly it was SOTA. As the current saying goes.....fight me on that!
But the specs he showed are not transparent, nor SOTA. And THAT is the point! That the amp is perfectly fine is really immaterial. In fact, all of the spec fluff in the first half of the paper is immaterial.

Last edited:
Reactions: VQR

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the specs he showed are not transparent, nor SOTA. And THAT is the point! That the amp is perfectly fine is really immaterial.
Is it immaterial? If you cannot hear it, how is it a problem? I can assure you that you cannot hear it. Would I swap it for a Purifi? Sure, would be a better choice, but it was a respected old brand that is audibly un-hearable. BTW, the one I tested was actually the original DMA-50 with slightly lesser specs. Lots of other A or A/B class amps couldn't really keep the FR flat like the Spectral could. DC-to-1 mhz. Several other SS amps were audible in my testing.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it immaterial? If you cannot hear it, how is it a problem?
The problem is not the amp, nor its performance. The point is that for experiments his claim is that one should use equipment:
to maintain the highest signal integrity at every step in order to preserve the time‐domain fidelity to the subtlest detail.
The specs he gives for his amp certainly do not qualify, yet he sees no problem there? What gives?
I can assure you that you cannot hear it.
No, you can't, obviously, That's precisely why is immaterial. Nowhere in the paper does he prove that his so-called high-end system is actually necessary to get these test results.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Has anyone read his latest paper: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Stereo-height--Kunchur.pdf ?

High-end Amplifier with 80 SINAD and 97dB SNR? Really? That is hardly transparent, nor SOTO.

Edit: to be fair, the Spectral also specs better numbers than 0.01%. But that's not the point. The point is that he thinks these numbers are fine for a high-end amplifier.

The citation goes to the very paper the video is about, so total bullshit :facepalm:

uhuh...
The DAC used is a:

If the review of the series 1 is anything to go by, this thing is also not very transparent...

Speakers are not super special

Stereophile measured the D2R, which looks similar. Horizontal off-axis is okay, vertical though is a total mess.

kudos for some room treatment.

So why then use sub-par components?

So like 99% of all recorded music...? And I'm pretty sure the high-end folk will still make the exact same claims with those recordings.

Okay, now to the important part:

Well duh! A trumpet is a handheld device that you blow into. Usually, people that play the trumpet are standing up. Just by the fact that I hear I trumpet, my mind already knows that the sound is coming from higher up :facepalm:

No, it proves absolutely nothing :facepalm:! At best it proved that in general people know where certain sounds come from. I don't even need a so called high-end playback system for any of this.

For this experiment to be actually useful, you would need to record these instruments at actual different places, so also places where the listener would not expect the sound to be. Only then you can start to make some decent conclusions.

This man is a disgrace to science!
Sorry Voodooless, I believe that in the case of the study that is the subject of this thread, Professor Kunhur is obviously mistaken, and that is a quite common exemple of tunnel vision and I am glad that it is flagged as it should be. I do however don't find the measurments addition to the state of the knowledge useless, they may have an interest altough It is obvious that they have nothing to do with audibility and I do hope that maybe an analysis like Amir has done trigger some more from the AES or other influencial people in the field of Audio engineering and research, it is an analysis that is definitely flawed, but not fully useless in the long term,I think, because when someone can take someone work, and analyse it and find problem with it, generally speaking, the knowledge advance. It is no excuse to make false claim. Just saying that understanding why some metric don't matter, is also knowledge as understanding why some metric matter, and I may sound like I defend this paper, I wish it don't come across that way but I do think there is positive that can come out of it if as it is being done here, knowledgeable people take the time to analyze and counterprove. It still was measurement based and it is to me not completely uninteresting to know that these measured differences exist even if it's falsely claim it has an impact on audibility. Now to Y'all opinions may differ on this and it's OK.

Now... let's try to be a bit better and not do the same... tunnel vision that is, and just blindly nitpick every little controversial or unthorough finding and reject the whole thing as a fraud and a "disgrace". Sorry I think that's what you are doing here.

Who care if he used 0.01% distortion amp. That's more than good enough. It's irrelevant to the discussion. I've seen Proac bookshelves in numerous recording studios has a reference, they are excellent speakers, rejecting this based on consideration like that, sorry but is a strongly biased attempt to just dismiss the guy, it's not based on anything realistically important to what this paper is about.

I am not has outraged than you guys to be honest. Yes engineers can be wrong a lot of times and yes there will always be controversies, school of toughts, conflictual research paths.

In the case of this specific one, I don't see what you are so angry about really. Mixing engineer have known about 3d space and the portray of elevation in their artwork for decades. Yes a good mix on a good sound system can portray height. I don't care if I will be thrown tomatoes for saying that, we should chill a bit, anybody that have worked on a serious mix (not me) knows that, at some point we have to accept that highly qualified pros that release amazingly mixed music every years, knows a bit or two and cannot all be wrong, and I am not talking about Kumchur, I am talking about the pool of select top rated mixing engineers.

The premise is true. You can convey a sense of height in a mix. Sorry but it's not uninteresting to at least try to quantify and demonstrate that. The blind test method seems legit? are the calculation all wrong?

Again, yes, scientists can and will be wrong, but it doesn't mean to stop trying and yes it would be important that the peers flag, and even fight for truth and thoroughness, but that mean concentrating the fight on the findings, not he individual... I I feel like there's a lot of that here.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is not the amp, nor its performance. The point is that for experiments his claim is that one should use equipment:

The specs he gives for his amp certainly do not qualify, yet he sees no problem there? What gives?

No, you can't, obviously, That's precisely why is immaterial. Nowhere in the paper does he prove that his so-called high-end system is actually necessary to get these test results.
Whether I believe it or not the designer of the DMA50, Demian Martin, a member here, said the high bandwidth wasn't a design goal. He said a design goal was that an amp needed to let go of a signal as quickly as it created it. Not all designs did at the time. I don't know how they determined that in those days, but he said they found the high bandwidth aided in that aspect. It became part of the marketing of Spectral of course. Maybe nothing to it. In any case their gear was utterly transparent to the human listener. An amp need do nothing more.

Suppose one day we can have amps that have sinad of 150 db, do you really think they'll be audibly different? I'd purchase one if it were affordable, but I doubt there is any improvement over sinad of 110 db.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Whether I believe it or not the designer of the DMA50, Demian Martin, a member here, said the high bandwidth wasn't a design goal. He said a design goal was that an amp needed to let go of a signal as quickly as it created it. Not all designs did at the time. I don't know how they determined that in those days, but he said they found the high bandwidth aided in that aspect. It became part of the marketing of Spectral of course. Maybe nothing to it. In any case their gear was utterly transparent to the human listener. An amp need do nothing more.

Suppose one day we can have amps that have sinad of 150 db, do you really think they'll be audibly different? I'd purchase one if it were affordable, but I doubt there is any improvement over sinad of 110 db.
To tell the truth I played around with Distort and my Audeze's and I had to get down to 75 SINAD to tell a big degrading difference.

It's nice to have good measuring,durable stuff but if it become an obsession instead of fun loses it's worth.
And professor's case smells a lot of an obsession if I don't want to be suspicious.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Voodooless, I believe that in the case of the study that is the subject of this thread, Professor Kunhur is obviously mistaken, and that is a quite common exemple of tunnel vision and I am glad that it is flagged as it should be.
That paper is the basis of the premise that a high-end system is needed to hear height in a 2 way speaker system, so if the paper of the video is non-sense, the premise in this paper is as well.
Now to Y'all opinions may differ on this and it's OK.
What knowledge does he add that was not known before with this paper?
Now... let's try to be a bit better and not do the same... tunnel vision that is, and just blindly nitpick every little controversial or unthorough finding and reject the whole thing as a fraud and a "disgrace". Sorry I think that's what you are doing here.
I am. So what? It's a scientific paper, backed by a university. It should not have these obvious errors.
Who care if he used 0.01% distortion amp. That's more than good enough. It's irrelevant to the discussion.
I did not make the claim that is was. He made that claim. In fact half of the paper talks about how good your system must be in order to do this experiment. Not a single shred of evidence was given for any of it.
I've seen Proac bookshelves in numerous recording studios has a reference, they are excellent speakers, rejecting this based on consideration like that, sorry but is a strongly biased attempt to just dismiss the guy, it's not based on anything realistically important to what this paper is about.
I said they were fine.. It was an observation, not a rejection.
I am not has outraged than you guys to be honest. Yes engineers can be wrong a lot of times and yes there will always be controversies, school of toughts, conflictual research paths.
Are you kidding me? This thing is so full of logical errors, fallacies, and leaps of faith that it's not even funny.
In the case of this specific one, I don't see what you are so angry about really. Mixing engineer have known about 3d space and the portray of elevation in their artwork for decades. Yes a good mix on a good sound system can portray height. I don't care if I will be thrown tomatoes for saying that, we should chill a bit, anybody that have worked on a serious mix (not me) knows that, at some point we have to accept that highly qualified pros that release amazingly mixed music every years, knows a bit or two and cannot all be wrong, and I am not talking about Kumchur, I am talking about the pool of select top rated mixing engineers.

The premise is true. You can convey a sense of height in a mix. Sorry but it's not uninteresting to at least try to quantify and demonstrate that. The blind test method seems legit? are the calculation all wrong?
You're totally missing the point. This is not about the perception of height, and if it actually exists or not. It's about the method he used to reach the conclusion that it does. It's totally invalid. You just can't come to that conclusion based on the experiments he did. It's totally obvoius (well, not to you evidently).
Again, yes, scientists can and will be wrong, but it doesn't mean to stop trying and yes it would be important that the peers flag, and even fight for truth and thoroughness, but that mean concentrating the fight on the findings, not he individual... I I feel like there's a lot of that here.
You should not be this wrong as somebody in that capacity. Sorry, that just doesn't fly...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Theoretically height won't be recorded. For some X-Y configurations it might be sort of. Recordings of music used in testing.......ha, ha, ha, .......almost surely none are a purist recording where there is any sort of remote possibility height info is in the recording.

PeteL

Major Contributor
That paper is the basis of the premise that a high-end system is needed to hear height in a 2 way speaker system, so if the paper of the video is non-sense, the premise in this paper is as well.

What knowledge does he add that was not known before with this paper?

I am. So what? It's a scientific paper, backed by a university. It should not have these obvious errors.

I did not make the claim that is was. He made that claim. In fact half of the paper talks about how good your system must be in order to do this experiment. Not a single shred of evidence was given for any of it.

I said they were fine.. It was an observation, not a rejection.

Are you kidding me? This thing is so full of logical errors, fallacies, and leaps of faith that it's not even funny.

You're totally missing the point. This is not about the perception of height, and if it actually exists or not. It's about the method he used to reach the conclusion that it does. It's totally invalid. You just can't come to that conclusion based on the experiments he did. It's totally obvoius (well, not to you evidently).

You should not be this wrong as somebody in that capacity. Sorry, that just doesn't fly...
OK, I guess I don't put the same amount of importance on things like that. Comon, he says you need a good system to hear that, he shows that he has a good system, Now you need "evidence and proof" That you need a good system? An get all inflamed that he dare say something like that without proving it? please, if it's not nitpicking I don't know what it is. Try to portray a 3D mix on your Bluetooth beach speakers...

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Theoretically height won't be recorded. For some X-Y configurations it might be sort of. Recordings of music used in testing.......ha, ha, ha, .......almost surely none are a purist recording where there is any sort of remote possibility height info is in the recording.

Why not? We record the room. And we record where the source is in the room. You have different reflections from the floor at different high. So i would say we record? I mean record a person in a room that walks around and goes up and down in high while singing. You can hear the difference. I mean if you go up and down in high, many akustic things happen.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I guess I don't put the same amount of importance on things like that.
Things like what?
Comon, he says you need a good system to hear that, he shows that he has a good system, Now you need "evidence and proof" That you need a good system?
Yes! How is that even a discussion point? What constitutes a "good" system? What parameters are important? Why is that? When becomes a system good enough?
An get all inflamed that he dare say something like that without proving it? please, if it's not nitpicking I don't know what it is. Try to portray a 3D mix on your Bluetooth beach speakers...
That's obviously a mono setup. The premise was about a 2-speaker setup.

Isn't that the most important thing that you would like to know? What kind of a system do I need to hear height information? What things do i need to consider when I buy a system?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Things like what?

Yes! How is that even a discussion point? What constitutes a "good" system? What parameters are important? Why is that? When becomes a system good enough?

Isn't that the most important thing that you would like to know? What kind of a system do I need to hear height information? What things do i need to consider when I buy a system?
No, I don't think it's the most important thing that I want to know, so we disagree and it's ok. If by reading this paper what you where looking for as a conclusion was system buying recommendations, I fully understand that it offers very little. I feel the weight you put in the system in use in the whole paper is not what I get from this.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Things like what?

First you would need a recording. Anything thats multy miced you can forget. And the rest sounds like shiit. ;)

I mean i care a shit about the high of a bass drum in the soundfield if its stereo miced at 5m. No give me a well miced bassdrum.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not? We record the room. And we record where the source is in the room. You have different reflections from the floor at different high. So i would say we record? I mean record a person in a room that walks around and goes up and down in high while singing. You can hear the difference. I mean if you go up and down in high, many akustic things happen.
Because while you will hear something different at different heights in the recording they don't translate at all into how our ears hear height. For every accidental modification that might sound a different height are several more that don't or that sound opposite of reality. We hear height based upon modification of FR versus straight ahead hearing. With a microphone setup using two microphones at the same level no such info gets encoded. It is not there to hear. Some odd frequency aberrations might sound like a height difference, but their relationship with reality is random.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I don't think it's the most important thing that I want to know,
So what's the most important thing to you?
so we disagree and it's ok. If by reading this paper what you where looking for as a conclusion was system buying recommendations
Well, all of those You-tubers and reviewers citing these so-called papers use them as buying recommendations...
I fully understand that it offers very little. I feel the weight you put in the system in use in the whole paper is not what I get from this.
It's his claim that it's important! Not mine. You can't just make such a claim without any evidence.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unless the microphones have ears, perhaps :) e.g. the KU-100, but I did not find much of it actually making it thru on recordings done with it tho due to how generic the HRTFs are. But if you listen to such recordings on a set of speakers in the near field it turns the soundstage into a psychedelic funhouse mirror due to one‘s own HRTFs. Maybe thats what you would hear if you fell into a black hole listening to music. But it brings up the question if one could even get true height out of a two-channel speaker system? I presume if one had XTC and the proper convolution filters in place one could. Still to see such a thing researched with a run of the mill 2-channel setup sans any real controls just shows how little he really understands audio, or experiments for that matter. Now whether that is a bug or a feature is another question.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So what's the most important thing to you?

Well, all of those You-tubers and reviewers citing these so-called papers use them as buying recommendations...

It's his claim that it's important! Not mine. You can't just make such a claim without any evidence.
I think my points where clear enough as they are. Have a good day, I am starting mine.

Top Bottom