• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV D3 Review (R2R DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 142 50.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 99 35.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters

TBone

Major Contributor
... because the information per second degrades as the stylus traverses the record. With a rock album, one can adjust the position of tracks, but ‘classical’ recordings often have no choice but to present climactic crescendoes at the very point at which the deeply flawed vinyl medium is most disadvantaged.

well, not just classical, although rare ...

remember 1 particular old orig pop lp i luved bc it was very dynamic throughout, or at least i thought. when the cd arrived, iirc, most songs had similar values, except for the last song, the orig.cd.much extra dr gave this song considerable life, didnt really care for it on the orig lp, but on the orig.cd it became my favorite cut. other than that example, no others come to mind.

purchased recent lp & cd remasters, unfortunately dr r not comparable to origs.

above "limitation" is one of the reasons i went out of my way to get the best digital versions of my progressive rock collection, in which, like classical, the songs build to final climax, yet on discovery, dont remembering measuring much difference.

Kype_Kypeee

This forum is funny, most of the people here are so cheap they will never spend even $300 for a stand alone DAC.
So they feel so encouraged when they see just OK measuring high end DAC.
I am not a fan of this particular DAC, but the negative bias towards R2R is hilarious from people who wouldn't spend such money.
You can have the best measuring dick in the world but if your partner doesn't like it, you are definitely being cheated with no so good measuring one...

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This forum is funny, most of the people here are so cheap they will never spend even $300 for a stand alone DAC.
I am not a fan of this particular DAC, but the negative bias towards R2R is hilarious from people who wouldn't spend such money.
You can have the best measuring dick in the world but if your partner doesn't like it, you are definitely being cheated with no so good measuring one...
Pretty profound shit.

raif71

Major Contributor
You can have the best measuring dick in the world but if your partner doesn't like it, you are definitely being cheated with no so good measuring one..
I hope the partner did some burn-in time

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

spock-blink.gif

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If the dick is all that lies between you and your partner, then ya, you probably don't need/deserve one.

Veri

Master Contributor
So what about the people who did try Yggdrasils/Denafrips/Holo springs etc and felt absolutely no reason to keep or justify spending so much on a DAC?

It's a bit gratuitous to just wave it off that no one here "tried it". Some of us did :)

Kype_Kypeee

So what about the people who did try Yggdrasils/Denafrips/Holo springs etc and felt absolutely no reason to keep or justify spending so much on a DAC?

It's a bit gratuitous to just wave it off that no one here "tried it". Some of us did :)
So you know "all" the people who had all those DACs in the same moment...LOL

avoidwork

FYI the remote eventually becomes unresponsive. I believe it's not software related, but I could be wrong; it stops responding after roughly 4+ hours of constant use - the chassis gets slightly above ambient temp when the remote is not working. I assumed this was related to temperature.

A power cycle sorts it out. :rolleyes:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Just stumbled upon this on the SMSL website; looks like they decided to build it because of all the people chasing R2R distortion for some reason... still don't understand why you would want to have ancient tech that performs worse.
why at all that r2r thing is existing and why it is so popular amongst audiophiles. what i see is the low linearity common to all r2r dacs, barring only very few exceptions. may be that low linearity is responsible for lack of low level details and "mind find it easier to process less details". even in live music one sometimes find complex music passages difficult to comprehend. no wonder people find a good measuring r2r dac like holo may sound more like ds dacs. :)
Yea, because they like low detail music. They should just buy a top tier $100 dac and then some $50 headphones so they can keep their music low detail.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So you know "all" the people who had all those DACs in the same moment...LOL
The people who keep them are the ones who refuse to change and are in disbelief. They allow sighted bias to take over their mind and refuse to change. Their egos are too big to admit they were wrong.

Top Bottom