• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

ccristal

This is interesting...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-070217_Samsung Internet.png
    Screenshot_20220713-070217_Samsung Internet.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 180

Scot_Douglas

I think this has already been reported to WiiM and they acknowledged it as a bug, but it’d do no harm if you raised a ticket too to let them know it’s (still) there
I got a canned response:
Good day!

Now WiiM Mini has support bit-perfect playback, so when the resolution of next song is not same as the previous song, WiiM Mini should reopen the optical signal to output the new resolution.

Best,
WiiM Support

I replied to tell them that it happens on collections of songs that are of equal resolution.

AndyLewis

I was getting a silence then jump from 1st to the next track on Yes 90125 on 192/ 24 until today - then updated via Android playstore update.
Today - perfect!! Played right through without a blip! Other albums & 96/48 all fine! Amazon HD/UHD perfection! Also faster response no lagging & my internet speed are not brilliant...
A million thanks Wiim for this excellent device.

Scot_Douglas

What was the wording of your original ticket?
Amazon HD streaming through WiiM to Schiit modius via optical. Modius has a relay that switches on when it detects an input signal. When streaming, the relay cycles between the end of last song and beginning of next song - like the WiiM is switching its output off between songs.

jae

Major Contributor
Did they add the 10-band peq to this update? Last I checked it was in their roadmap for the update due within a few days...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
New Android app adds bitrate to UI. Unfortunately, they forgot to divide by 1,000 for Amazon Music. ;) I've noticed in the XML that Tidal already does the division, so I'll have to check if it's correct for Tidal.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 6.46.21 AM.png

AndyLewis

New Android app adds bitrate to UI. Unfortunately, they forgot to divide by 1,000 for Amazon Music. ;) I've noticed in the XML that Tidal already does the division, so I'll have to check if it's correct for Tidal.

View attachment 218084
Oh yes I did notice that but it plays - continuously ! The DAC I use does flash the opt input & then the new song bit rate as it starts but don't care about that either! It's a Topping E50 - another ASR reviewed buy.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Amazon HD streaming through WiiM to Schiit modius via optical. Modius has a relay that switches on when it detects an input signal. When streaming, the relay cycles between the end of last song and beginning of next song - like the WiiM is switching its output off between songs.

@Scot_Douglas I don't mean to cause offence but even for me, it's hard to understand what you mean in this quote above.

So I don't blame the lovely people at WiiM for their reply.

I think you're just complaing about long gaps and pops at the start of tracks? Which they know of and will fix. I reported the same weeks ago to them and they reproduced it.

Music1969

Major Contributor

View attachment 218084

How did public release get ahead of (fixes and features) beta release :D

(not a complaint, casting Amazon UHD is fine for me - just a funny observation)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
How did public release get ahead of (fixes and features) beta release :D

(not a complaint, casting Amazon UHD is fine for me - just a funny observation)
I'm guessing that branch is specific to casting Amazon, so they're keeping it narrowly focussed; it'll all be merged eventually, hopefully real soon...

Scot_Douglas

@Scot_Douglas I don't mean to cause offence but even for me, it's hard to understand what you mean in this quote above.

So I don't blame the lovely people at WiiM for their reply.

I think you're just complaing about long gaps and pops at the start of tracks? Which they know of and will fix. I reported the same weeks ago to them and they reproduced it.
I clarified:
Thank you for the response, however:

This issue happens when listening to any music; i.e. when listening to an "album" from one artist in which the song resolutions are all the same.
Current selection playing is Yello Touch - and all of the songs are 24bits / 44.1 kHz - I still get optical switching between songs.

I don't complain; I provide commentary. ;)

Scot_Douglas

Thanks!

But what does "I still get optical switching between songs" mean ?

I have no idea what this means, so it might be fair to assume the same at WiiM's end.
I have a new Modius DAC that has a relay that switches on when there is an input signal - and off when there isn't a signal. (and I'm using the optical output of the WiiM)

At the end of every song, you can hear the relay switch off and then as the next song queues, the relay switches back on right before the music starts. WiiM claimed this was happening because of differing song resolutions, but it happens even if the resolution doesn't change.

If I plug in my other DAC, the screen also blanks out between songs.

As if the WiiM stopped sending a signal to the DAC between songs. It doesn't happen casting from Spotify, however, it still does casting from the Amazon app - even though the resolution doesn't change.

AndyLewis

I have a new Modius DAC that has a relay that switches on when there is an input signal - and off when there isn't a signal.

At the end of every song, you can hear the relay switch off and then as the next song queues, the relay switches back on right before the music starts. WiiM claimed this was happening because of differing song resolutions, but it happens even if the resolution doesn't change.

If I plug in my other DAC, the screen also blanks out between songs.

As if the WiiM stopped sending a signal to the DAC between songs. It doesn't happen casting from Spotify, however, it still does casting from the Amazon app - even though the resolution doesn't change.
I'm presuming it just means the laser is turning off between tracks hence the dac flashes to indicate there is no stream at that point. This may well be a feature to in fact minimise the chance of clicks & pops or just a design feature (or maybe not true "gapless" playback !! eek!! : ) )
Whatever it's fine with me & the author it seems.

Bamyasi

Oh yes I did notice that but it plays - continuously ! The DAC I use does flash the opt input & then the new song bit rate as it starts but don't care about that either! It's a Topping E50 - another ASR reviewed buy.
That's not what is called continuously in my book. And the pause is pretty long and annoying in case of 192 kHz tracks with my DAC (known DAC feature, it takes it longer to acqure a lock at 192 kHz via TOSLINK).

Top Bottom