• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is disturbing. The accolades from sources like this.
Screenshot 2022-06-20 133722.png

Rikard

Measurement is one thing, but actual sound is a killer!
For the desktop not ZZ top live at 90 db…. Get headphones.

Rikard

Looking especially thru this tread of LGK and I see so many comments from the same people, that this makes me wonder if they get paid to do this. One Major Donator has posted 12,5 comments per day since December 2019. He’s /she’s a troll? Do this for a living? Do they fit in to this forum at all? Anything to complain about is his thing. Freedom of speech rules, but this is so suspicious. Amir, Gene, anyone?

dfuller

Major Contributor
There's no low end in that sample - of course they work okay for that. As soon as you add instruments with any amount of bass, they fall apart. It's not surprising.

Something like this, they'd fall right apart.

Looking especially thru this tread of LGK and I see so many comments from the same people, that this makes me wonder if they get paid to do this. One Major Donator has posted 12,5 comments per day since December 2019. He’s /she’s a troll? Do this for a living? Do they fit in to this forum at all? Anything to complain about is his thing. Freedom of speech rules, but this is so suspicious. Amir, Gene, anyone?
No, no we do not.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We have many passionate members that consider us their "home" as do others. I myself have a ton of posts. Does that mean I am paying myself to post??? :D

Besides, I would go broke if I pay per post at the rate you are talking about!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I explained both in video and text review that you can play tracks that do not demonstrate the distortion. That is precisely the type of music that doesn't do this. But unless you want to rule out any music with any kind of bass, then you don't have a general purpose speaker. The clip I used in video is no zz top. It is jazz like audiophile music that gets used at shows all the time to demo audio gear. I only use it for tonality check normally as no speaker or headphone has ever demonstrated distortion until LGK 2.0 showed up.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of us are retired or simply hang abouts because we fit into this environment naturally and it feels good. There's no nefarious stuff occurring. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A: Girl and guitar... easy to reproduce. Sound quality isn't top notch, probably camera mic + YT compression etc.
B: When there are really low sounds you hear the IM issue Amir touched.
C: Look at the power meters of the amp. Not much more than a few Watt. So max 90dB at 1m (both speakers playing)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be clear, I don't want AudioScienceReview to create mass hysteria and contribute to the downfall of GR Research. Who's next?
You want to know what the cure to that is? Build speakers that are designed to standards of audio research and engineering. Put them out there without hyping it beyond what they can do. They will sound nice and will have customers if the price and service are right.

Trying to rely on hype alone to save you will no longer work with me and few others doing serious analysis of speaker performance. The days of people not knowing is over. Companies need to figure out their new direction if they have been operating that way. If they are good business people, and do good engineering, there is a massive market for them to exploit. Some will adopt as we have seen in analog electronics. Some will not and will fall by the wayside. Asking us to refuse to test and comment on poorly performing product is not good for any consumer.

Remember, we are competing with very loud voices here. The man has a very popular youtube channel where he screams from top of his lungs how great his products are. We need to have our voices heard as well when we see products not performing. Asking us to be sheepish and quiet makes no sense.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some of us are retired or simply hang abouts because we fit into this environment naturally and it feels good. There's no nefarious stuff occurring. :D
What does this mean really? That I no longer have to pay you all to post? You realize how much money I have saved now?

dfuller

Major Contributor
What does this mean really? That I no longer have to pay you all to post? You realize how much money I have saved now?
still waiting for that check from Topping... :D

Rikard

There's no low end in that sample - of course they work okay for that. As soon as you add instruments with any amount of bass, they fall apart. It's not surprising.

No, no we do not.
For 3”, what high expectations do you have? Use them as DIY headphones?

Rikard

No, no we do not.
Amir and Gene, I didn’t point at you (sorry if so) but those who follow and have a high pitch in the forum.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Danger Will Robinson! Those may have the driver but are not the speaker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Danger Will Robinson! Those may have the driver but are not the speaker.
Ah, didn't notice that they are so much taller than LGK 2.0 KIT that I tested. The lighting is deceiving there.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, didn't notice that they are so much taller than LGK 2.0 KIT that I tested. The lighting is deceiving there.

I suspect it is the original LGK cabinet design which appears to be more of a transmission line design vs LGK 2 is bass reflex.

dfuller

Major Contributor
For 3”, what high expectations do you have? Use them as DIY headphones?
I expect nothing from them, anybody with a modicum of acoustic knowledge knows that asking a 3" driver that is really only suited to use as a midrange to produce low end is utterly insane.

Unless you're a total shyster, trying to sell people on pointless cap upgrades and bogus tube connectors.

Top Bottom