• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 229 75.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 4.3%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The Luxman MB3045 was a brilliant design, mostly based on the McIntosh topologies. It was handicapped a bit by the choice of proprietary tubes, but the performance was outstanding.

Were I looking, I think I'd just find an old classic and have it properly serviced.

I wouldn't hate a pair of these.

Would you put the Marantz 8b in the 'worthy' category?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Would you put the Marantz 8b in the 'worthy' category?
It's a very good amp, not fabulously original, but actually engineered. Same class (performance-wise) as the Dynacos, but far more collectible.

The Nine was even better, some very clever engineering in it.

captainbeefheart

Anecdote: I ran JJ EL84 in my Red Light District amp at 13.75W plate + screen dissipation for a decade before replacing them. They were still working so it was really more of PM.

Of the new production the JJ EL84 is the most robust if you get good ones, I have also had them fail early. For many, they purchase them and install in cathode bias amps thinking they don't need to set the bias but if you get a hot pair they will not last long. For example I have seen them screaming away at 18 watts dissipation and show heat damage on the plates. If you got a hot amp you gotta ask the vendor for a low current pair/quad and they should do okay. Ideally 12 watts is what to aim for but although 14 watts is past the datasheet spec many NOS tubes will not show red plating and a good pair of JJ's may show slight redness with the lights out but last long enough. One thing I noticed with JJ power tubes is their quality isn't always consistent.

When you say plate and screen dissipation were you just taking the total cathode current into the dissipation calculation? If yes, once you subtract the screen current you are most likely closer to the 12 watt dissipation rating. I try my best to take a screen current reading across it's resistor to subtract from the cathode current. The Dynaco I don't think had screen resistors so you'd just have to guess. I don't know about your red light amp and if it had screen resistors but I'm sure you could subtract 2-3mA from the total cathode current to get a more accurate plate dissipation calculation.

7189 is not pin compatible and is somewhat different in terms of required grid drive and optimal plate load, but is a great tube for this power class

As long as the socket isn't using pins 1 & 6 for tie points they are plug and play. From memory the SCA-35 didn't have any connections to pins 1 and 6.

captainbeefheart

Here is the build manual for the Dynakit version and they list using the 7189 as compatible which makes me feel better about my memory as I didn't think they used pins 1 and 6 for anything on the boards. Now that I think about it I could have seen the 7189's in the kit versions and not factory Dynaco versions. It was all so long ago lol.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It's a very good amp, not fabulously original, but actually engineered. Same class (performance-wise) as the Dynacos, but far more collectible.

The Nine was even better, some very clever engineering in it.
Just curious what you think of the Audio Research D76-A. I have one which doesn't get much use. Over engineered, too many toobs, internal issues due to not-great layout and not-great phase inverter (buzz/hum/noise).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
As long as the socket isn't using pins 1 & 6 for tie points they are plug and play. From memory the SCA-35 didn't have any connections to pins 1 and 6.
Just so we're clear here, the SCA-35 was an integrated amp, the power amp section of which was made into the ST-35 power amp. The input circuits and input tubes are different between the two if I remember correctly. The amp I have is the power amp section of an SCA-35 taken from the integrated amp and built into a new chassis.

captainbeefheart

Just so we're clear here, the SCA-35 was an integrated amp, the power amp section of which was made into the ST-35 power amp. The input circuits and input tubes are different between the two if I remember correctly. The amp I have is the power amp section of an SCA-35 taken from the integrated amp and built into a new chassis.

Yes the SCA-35 is the stereo integrated amp which has 12AX7 preamp tubes which the ST-35 doesn't have. The ST-35 is identical to the power amp section inside the SCA-35 which is one 7199 and two 6BQ5/EL84/7189 power tubes per channel. The ST-35/ST-70 were meant to be used with the PAS preamplifier where the SCA-35 has the extra 12AX7's for preamp duties.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yes the SCA-35 is the stereo integrated amp which has 12AX7 preamp tubes which the ST-35 doesn't have. The ST-35 is identical to the power amp section inside the SCA-35 which is one 7199 and two 6BQ5/EL84/7189 power tubes per channel. The ST-35/ST-70 were meant to be used with the PAS preamplifier where the SCA-35 has the extra 12AX7's for preamp duties.
The ST-35 also used a different triode-pentode input tube for the power amp. My SCA-35 uses 7199 (which I replaced with 6GH8). The ST-35 apparently used a 7247. I never saw a ST-35 in the flesh, although I wish I had one.

Dynaco-ST35-Tube-Amp-Schematic.png

Kling75

Forum Donor
It seems Luxmand does much better with their Solid State Designs..

captainbeefheart

The ST-35 also used a different triode-pentode input tube for the power amp. My SCA-35 uses 7199 (which I replaced with 6GH8). The ST-35 apparently used a 7247. I never saw a ST-35 in the flesh, although I wish I had one.

View attachment 213620

Good point, I forgot about the 12DW7/7247 in the st-35, it's a tube with dissimilar triodes, half 12AX7 and half 12AU7.

Is there a small-footprint tube integrated with a phono that measures well? The Lux is exactly what I was after. Before reading this.

mmuetst

Enough has already been said about this amp with nice looks, but apparently poorly designed tube amp section. What I would like to add is this article from DHTRob which explains what to look out for when combining loudspeaker and tube amps:

Take advantage of this if you decide to go with a tube amplifier.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just curious what you think of the Audio Research D76-A. I have one which doesn't get much use. Over engineered, too many toobs, internal issues due to not-great layout and not-great phase inverter (buzz/hum/noise).
I would say it's over-engineered, too many tubes, not-great layout for thermal management, and OK-not-great performance. Close enough? :cool:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I would say it's over-engineered, too many tubes, not-great layout for thermal management, and OK-not-great performance. Close enough? :cool:
Lots of power though -75W- but the same could be said of the cheap class D on my desk.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When you say plate and screen dissipation were you just taking the total cathode current into the dissipation calculation? If yes, once you subtract the screen current you are most likely closer to the 12 watt dissipation rating.
Both, looking at the separate numbers during design and prototype, then the cathode current once the amp is complete and there's tube changes. TBH, I've rarely seen an EL84 fail because of plate current alone- one of the compelling reasons to run them in pentode is that I can keep the screen voltage (and hence dissipation) relatively low, allowing me to jack up the plate voltage. And I've seen a lot of them run away and have plate failures, but caused by excessive screen voltage and dissipation with triode and UL topologies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Lots of power though -75W- but the same could be said of the cheap class D on my desk.
If you want to have fun, check out the old Audionics BA-150 from the same era. Really creative circuit.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I had an ARC D-79 that did a decent job. FWIWFM, I agree with @SIY in that it was fairly complicated and a bit prone to failure when tubes arced and took out the zener string (I think -- my old SP3a1 smoked more zeners than I can count -- they ran them hot). I liked it but sold it some years ago when I was between "big" systems and just wasn't using it. I still have the SP3a1, with a heavily modified power supply to regulate filament and B+ supplies, but am a bit afraid to turn it on. :) At one time I built a fully-differential preamp using current-source loads and all the trimmings. Measured and sounded great to me, better than most SS preamps of the day (1980's), but a few "golden-ears" panned it as "too solid-state". :rolleyes: I built an amp or two, and learned the hard way what "blocking" was (didn't we all?) I graduated and my career went a different way.

I had, briefly, a Marantz 9 that I repaired and then the owner decided to buy a newer amp and sold it to me basically for the repair cost. I only used it a little while then sold it. Really (really) wish I had kept that one.

captainbeefheart

Both, looking at the separate numbers during design and prototype, then the cathode current once the amp is complete and there's tube changes. TBH, I've rarely seen an EL84 fail because of plate current alone- one of the compelling reasons to run them in pentode is that I can keep the screen voltage (and hence dissipation) relatively low, allowing me to jack up the plate voltage. And I've seen a lot of them run away and have plate failures, but caused by excessive screen voltage and dissipation with triode and UL topologies.

For hi-fi amps I don't see as many failures and typically not violent failures just old dead tubes and the random blown screen from UL amps. I agree high bias current just lowers the life, at least that's what I have found. I see as many guitar amps as I do hifi amps, maybe even more and the guitar amps is where I see the vast majority of hard failures. They aren't just running high current, they are running high voltage and running over dissipation, it's the way past rated maximum voltages that due them in.

Vox AC30 runs the plates ~360v and the screens ~330v, like the SCA-35 all 4 power tubes share a common cathode RC network except the AC30 is HALF the resistance value compared to the SCA-35, 95 ohms for the latter and 47 ohms for the former. Those amps get very hot and run the EL84's very hard, add in a guitar player pushing it into clipping all night long you see fireworks if the tubes aren't selected carefully. Marshall for a while sent over their amps to USA with 6550's back in the 80's because the EL34's weren't as good as they once were and typically didn't make it past the warranty period. The older Fenders ran the 6V6 at least 14 watts plate dissipation (350v) and the old tubes handled it but current production tubes need to be carefully selected for reliability. Heck the Deluxe Reverb runs the 6V6 at 420v and the screen is only a few volts less, those screens go up in flames often. Many of the most popular Fender amps are fixed bias and come running 50-60% plate dissipation but the plate/screen voltages are usually run past maximum rated voltage for plate and screens. So it's definitely not always just high current, it's too high voltage and worse, too high voltage and over max dissipation but the latter is typically cathode biased guitar amps. There is a saying by guitar players and it's the amp always sounds it's best right before it blows up and lets the magic smoke out. Typically it's a power tube and their screen resistors that get smoked, sometimes it takes transformers with them.

I 100% am with you on running pentode mode with high voltage on the plates and low voltage on the screens. I use a lot of sweep tubes for my own amps and I have to keep the screens at 120-150v. The hifi amps that seem to eat through tubes and where I see more failures are with UL amps pushing beyond the maximum voltage ratings, the plate dips low and the screen goes way past it's dissipation limit and melts. You can of course run some screen resistors to help them survive but you end up squishing the plate curves together from the reduced current when the screen sags down from the resistor. It's just best to keep voltage low for UL or just go pentode mode, I don't know why there is so much hate for pentode operation but I think it's the better option comparing the pros and cons of both UL and pentode. There are other methods to reduce distortion.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Multitone which is supposed to resemble "music" with its 32 tone, shows strong level of "grass" (intermodulation distortion):
Luxman SQ-N150 Measurements Multitone Integrated Tube Amplifier.png
I remember enjoying my audition of this amp at few years back.

At this point, can we say we sometimes enjoy Lo-Fi sound that covers some dynamic in order to bunch and blend some details together? is this what this multitone shows?

Top Bottom