• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters
!
I am sorry that ASR has such a climate against any Chord equipment, . .
and don’t get me wrong. I really really like the chord products for subjective and objective reasons. I have several devices from them like the mojo OG, mojo 2, Qutest, poly and more. But are not perfect and my intention was to share fairly and honestly my experience.

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well I have the Hidizs S9 Pro as well. It is very fine. Amir has tested it, if you look at the test, you will see tha it should be considered transparent with inaudible noise and distortion. So I don't doubt what was being said. Desktop devices have other merits, of course, but not sonic ones once you reached a certain level.
Fair point you said, but I think even in the same type (desk or portable) there are different use-cases, pros and cons of each type of product (dongle or battery-powered), as long as the use-case fits the user then it is fine, like you said they have their own merits.

Chester

Not really. This is my second unit and all the people I’ve talked here in the UK are having the same issue

Sounds like there’s something going on. I think Chord have claimed it was fixed in Mojo 2, that was all I was saying.

Maybe it was Rob on the Darko podcast.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. This is my second unit and all the people I’ve talked here in the UK are having the same issue
AAAA ...!
Not exactly accurate, you have talked to me, I am in UK, and I never had this problem, but I do accept that the issue exists, but perhaps not as widespread as you think.
I know it has p****d you off.
Three different phones (not the forbidden-fruit ones) and three Mojos (two original and one Mojo2) - zilch!

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plot thickens:
https://goldensound.audio/2022/05/26/chord-mojo-2-measurements/

1653741169145.png

Chester

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe an opportunity for learning and improvements in standardising measurements (informally at least). 3 sets of test data all for the same device (Amir’s, Rob’s and Golden’s).

If all parties were willing, a coming together to better understand each’s approaches could lead to something great going forwards.
Where is Rob's?

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what are the reasons a big portion of battery-powered amplifiers cannot offer playback time for more than 8hrs?
I mean I want to know the technical side of it, what makes it unavailable or an uninteresting choice. We used to have DAPs and amps that can last up to 40-50hrs for each charge.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
what are the reasons a big portion of battery-powered amplifiers cannot offer playback time for more than 8hrs?

At an uninformed guess I’d say processing power requirements dictate battery life/duration in use

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At an uninformed guess I’d say processing power requirements dictate battery life/duration in use
Bang on! Also, the choice of amplifier circuitry - Class A or high bias Class AB is a bit wasteful - but I think sounds better (not always).
I have a rechargeable bluetooth receiver, the size of half a match-box that plays for over 20hrs, with a tiny battery. it has BT receiver, a DAC and earphone amplifier built in!
Good for TV.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll be honest I thought I’d seen them as he usually publishes them, maybe he hasn’t though.

I would be surprised if he’s not willing to share though.
I have never seen Rob Watts publishing full measured results, he may talk about them, release selected portions, but never a full lab report.

Zensō

Major Contributor
If you only care about the most features for the lowest price, then the Mojo 2 isn't the best choice regardless of category. But lots of people are willing to pay for premium quality and would rather buy an Audi than a Hyundai (or whatever example you'd like to pick) even if it doesn't go any faster or have more features.
Just more Veblen Goods then…meh. What in your estimation makes this “premium quality”? To me, the industrial design is hideous.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
To me, the industrial design is hideous.
To me, the industrial design is attractive.

Different strokes for different folks.

AAAA ...!
Not exactly accurate, you have talked to me, I am in UK, and I never had this problem, but I do accept that the issue exists, but perhaps not as widespread as you think.
I know it has p****d you off.
Three different phones (not the forbidden-fruit ones) and three Mojos (two original and one Mojo2) - zilch!
Not really. I am not angry at all. I am using the poly and have zero issues. The reason I shared my experience is just to give additional info. Not because I am angry.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just more Veblen Goods then…meh. What in your estimation makes this “premium quality”? To me, the industrial design is hideous.
Frankly, I am not a fan of its quirky design, or the marbles!
However, you be surprised how many like them:
- They are different! , to some that is good. Occasionally, people have come to me, asking in wonder, What is that?
- you can drive a car over one, and it would most probably survive!
- the tactile buttons can be useful for people who have bad eyesight, bad movement in their fingers, i.e. Me after a few beers in a dark room, listening to Pink Floyd.
So it is not just the looks, it functions in a peculiar manner.

Top Bottom