• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I experienced connection and design issues with the Audyssey app using the iPad.
1. If wifi at the receiver isn't rock solid you can have issues were the Denon loses connection with Audyssey and a restart is required.
2. If someone happens to make a noise upstairs or drop something during an Audyssey measuring session it can cause the speaker to play the white noise a 2nd time on that speaker at a louder volume which corrupts the session - start all over again.
3. If you change an Audyssey EQ file there is no undo option so you need to remember to make a copy of any EQ file before making changes should you want to keep the original.
4. In a few cases, the iPad app would lock up and each time I opened it, it was stuck frozen. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it working again.

Reverend Slim

@amirm I figured out the constant connection flakiness with the Android MultiEq app came down to two things for me:

1) I had to have the TV on before launching the MultiEq app (probably depends if your connected to eARC like I was)
2) The microphone had to be unplugged until the app indicated to plug it in

If the TV isn't connected, may not matter, just what worked for me.
My Denon 4500 would drop connection randomly with the Android app. Didn't matter when I plugged the mic in or whether my TV was on. I even tried running a long ethernet cable from room to room to rule out WiFi issues. You know what fixed it? Change the AVR to Heos/Media Player before you try to connect with the app. Not sure if it's because that makes it prioritize its network connection somehow, but it consistently makes mine work, by WiFi or ethernet.

Fortunately, I've had zero issues connecting with MultEQ X from my PC no matter what the AVR is set to.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My Denon 4500 would drop connection randomly with the Android app.
The number 1 reason I've found for ramdom disconnections with the app was the Android device running out of memory sometime during the measurement process.. Always be sure to reboot your device before starting a measurement routine to clear all stored info.

Reverend Slim

The number 1 reason I've found for ramdom disconnections with the app was the Android device running out of memory sometime during the measurement process.. Always be sure to reboot your device before starting a measurement routine to clear all stored info.
This was with a Samsung S10 512gb internal storage with 8gb of RAM. Tried rebooting, tried closing all apps except Audyssey. Definitely wasn't running out of memory. Fought with it for a week before the networking side of me decided to change the AVR to one of its networked modes first. Doing that makes it work EVERY SINGLE TIME for me. But I could go in there right now and try the app without changing to HEOS/Media Player first and without fail, it will time out at some point during the transfer part of the process and drop connection (which sucks when you're on the 8th position). You can visibly see the transfer speed go slower when you don't change to HEOS/Media Player first.

Not saying that's going to be true for everyone having issues, but it is 100% repeatable on my Denon 4500 and is worth a try for anyone having issues.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not saying that's going to be true for everyone having issues, but it is 100% repeatable on my Denon 4500 and is worth a try for anyone having issues.
Good catch and very unusual at this time.
I've been using and helping folks with the Editor app nearly since it was new and this is the first report of it I can remember. I'll add it to my list of things to try when the app crashes. Over the last year or two, the reports have diminished majorly. Now with the new PC software hopefully it will be a total thing of the past. ;)

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
@Reverend Slim @Sal1950 seems everyone has their own little dance they have to do..

Is this thread the best place to ask calibration specific questions, or should I start a new thread?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Reverend Slim @Sal1950 seems everyone has their own little dance they have to do..

Is this thread the best place to ask calibration specific questions, or should I start a new thread?
With over 35 pages already here, I'd start a new thread. ;)

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Just discovered that Audyssey is now sending correct distances and crossover (and hopefully eq corrections) but levels are unchanged or completely wrong. Baffled as I get a "Transfer Complete" and no issue of errors.

EDIT: Fixed by power plug pull

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just discovered that Audyssey is now sending correct distances and crossover (and hopefully eq corrections) but levels are unchanged or completely wrong. Baffled as I get a "Transfer Complete" and no issue of errors.
Just as an FYI, Your going to need to state "which Audyssey" version you use.
Base XT32, XT32 + Editor, the new MultiEQ X
It's all getting too confusing.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Of course, I'm using MultiEQ via Denon S750H AVR and Audyssey MultiEQ App via Lenovo Chromebook Duet.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm using MultiEQ via Denon S750H AVR
Is that the X32 version or one of the earlier versions?
and Audyssey MultiEQ App
The MultiEQ Editor app or the new MultiEQ-X app?
Not busting balls but it's so much easier for folks attempting to help when
you include important details up front.
Versions Matter LOL

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Is that the X32 version or one of the earlier versions?

The MultiEQ Editor app or the new MultiEQ-X app?
Not busting balls but it's so much easier for folks attempting to help when
you include important details up front.
Versions Matter LOL
No problem, MultiEQ is it's proper noun. Its the base version that ships on lower end Denon receivers.

The MultiEQ app is on iOS/Android. Multi EQ - X is a Windows only application to my knowledge.

Fixed my issue by pulling the power..question is did it actually have the correct levels and just failed to correctly report those in the web interface?

wheresmymoney

No problem, MultiEQ is it's proper noun. Its the base version that ships on lower end Denon receivers.

The MultiEQ app is on iOS/Android. Multi EQ - X is a Windows only application to my knowledge.

Fixed my issue by pulling the power..question is did it actually have the correct levels and just failed to correctly report those in the web interface?
I've had this happen occasionally on my Marantz (SR7013 - XT32). Same resolution of hard power cycle. In my case, nothing had changed (levels, filters, etc.) until after disconnecting power. It was early on in my days with the iOS/iPadOS app and initially thought it just wasn't very good. So, I've now added a "sanity check" in my process when using to ensure the settings were actually applied.

eta: I haven't had this happen in a bit; maybe corrected with a f/w or app update(?)

Dumdum

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but in the latest version of the app (downloaded last week as I now have a Denon avr) you have an option for midrange compensation which turns off the bbc dip in the target curve

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but in the latest version of the app (downloaded last week as I now have a Denon avr) you have an option for midrange compensation which turns off the bbc dip in the target curve

Yes but a) that feature has been there since day one, and b) the BBC dip shown in the target curve is widely misunderstood but imo it is D+M's fault because that's what they call it.

According to Audyssey/D+M (in the recent YT video), the dip shown really isn't the target as such (strictly speaking, as it actually depends..). Whether you will end up with that dip or not will depend on your speakers. It the speakers are not designed to have that dip then you will not have it even if you leave it enabled. If the speaker is designed with the dip then it will have the dip unless you disable it, in that case Audyssey would try to flatten the dip. In the video, the Denon rep suggested to leave it enabled so as not to change the speaker's design, and disabled only if you tried, and don't prefer the sound with the dip.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dip shown really isn't the target as such (strictly speaking, as it actually depends..). Whether you will end up with that dip or not will depend on your speakers. It the speakers are not designed to have that dip then you will not have it even if you leave it enabled. If the speaker is designed with the dip then it will have the dip unless you disable it, in that case Audyssey would try to flatten the dip.

You keep repeating that misinformation even though measurements have proved it definitively wrong. Why?

Again, see here for an example showing how Audyssey XT32 mucks with the midrange of a good speaker by imposing this dumb dip.

bjmsam

Below is an example of the difference I measured between Audyssey OFF (red) vs. Audyssey ON (blue) vs. Audyssey FLAT (green).
Were my speakers "designed to have that dip?"

AM-JKLUNrVQQ5ptxPYR56VwM3r9nfh-NY8B4lpcqNAOiFD5ioEx3jWSwki0k1XdL1fofn1uOonNw9Q1YabW3i-3zUAEAh51AueipYqLUots062rELl7yzhyLI4vyDIfhN5nUZZYYHKJWvd-zt1aAxxmPwUGt_w=w1024-h598-no

Audyssey merely applies whatever adjustments it needs for the speakers to achieve the target response in the room.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You keep repeating that misinformation even though measurements have proved it definitively wrong. Why?

Again, see here for an example showing how Audyssey XT32 mucks with the midrange of a good speaker by imposing this dumb dip.

I have my own REW plots that show results consistent with what was explain in that video I referred to. I won't comment on yours as you seem to be too opinionated and not someone who would admit mistakes made, so why bother... You seem to be one who would repeat misinformation and yet would accuse others of doing that, perhaps that's your strategy?? I have been ignoring you, but just one more time, you need to be told again. Now I am going to find out how to put you on my ignore list. It would be my first and hopefully the only time to do such a thing.

Top Bottom