• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post a link to such amazing results please? For me, and my room anyway, after years of playing with totally manual, Audyssey XT, then XT32/Sub EQ HT, with and without a minidsp 4XHD, then the Editor App, and finally the App+Ratbuddyssey, results (FR only) improved from 20-130 to 200 Hz (depending on the conditions/configurations/positioning of subs and MLPs) +/- 5 to 9 dB to +/- 1 to 1.5 dB, for the mlp or up to 10 positions averaged (I think you might have seen the results I posted on AH). So while it would interesting and fun to play with other software especially if they are free:) or cheap and are for use with REW/minidsp (only because I have one idling), in practical sense I don't think I need need to do anything else as there won't be any audible gain that I can imagine by using something else. Oh, I did measure impulse response, waterfall, decay, spectrogram etc..., and based on may graphs I have collected, still, I highly doubt I could improve anything that is audible even if I upgrade from what I have now all the way to Trinnov, Dirac Live, manual systems or whatever combo. If this MSO thing is free to try I might do it, but it would be for fun only.

Last edited: A
I will have to look around because I never book marked any measurements, but a good start is the MSO web page from Andy.
I had always intended on trying it but never got around to it.

6FA01471-7875-4341-8554-DA5BFF675F76.jpeg

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And you think putting the Gustard through the AVR for additional AD and DA should somehow preserve its sound? I'm out.
Where did I say that?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will have to look around because I never book marked any measurements, but a good start is the MSO web page from Andy.
I had always intended on trying it but never got around to it.

View attachment 186622

Thank you, I did go there but have to take a more detailed look to compare his results with mine.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have messed by Ratbuddyssey, but did not find XT32 to be willing play along with complex curves. I have graphs somewhere around here...

I have developed a way to do it with consistent results. The steps I used were detailed in my thread on AH. What you have now look very good especially your graphs were smoothed to 1/24th when most people post theirs 1/12th, that's way I suggested may be a 2-3 dB flatter only. It just boggle my mind that so many people think they have to use a minidsp to get such results even if they have only two subwoofers. Admittedly I bought in to such hypes about the mini too but at least at the time I bought it, there was no Editor App, let alone Ratbuddyssey.:)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you think putting the Gustard through the AVR for additional AD and DA should somehow preserve its sound? I'm out.

Some day I'll stop being amazed by the cargo cult stuff audiophiles do in search of audio nirvana

escott82

I like limiting the eq in audyssey to under 500hz and doing my own eq on the subs with minidsp’s.
If you limit the frequency audyssey corrects to the adjustment you can do in the editor for the curve is limited to that frequency and under I believe also.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like limiting the eq in audyssey to under 500hz and doing my own eq on the subs with minidsp’s.
If you limit the frequency audyssey corrects to the adjustment you can do in the editor for the curve is limited to that frequency and under I believe also.

So you're eqing your subs twice -- once with Audyssey, then again with minidsp?

escott82

So you're eqing your subs twice -- once with Audyssey, then again with minidsp?
I turn off audyssey before I eq the subs. I run audyssey after I get what I want with audyssey off. Then I run audyssey, then go into the app and take off all the eq it is doing to the subs down to 20hz. That leaves what I did originally but has the correct distance for the subs.
I’ll check to see how the mains sum with the subs after audyssey is ran and make adjustments on how they are crossing.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think I started all this flutter way back here in post 626. Just asking if there were tests on analog inputs to an AVR receiver.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post a link to such amazing results please? For me, and my room anyway, after years of playing with totally manual, Audyssey XT, then XT32/Sub EQ HT, with and without a minidsp 4XHD, then the Editor App, and finally the App+Ratbuddyssey, results (FR only) improved from 20-130 to 200 Hz (depending on the conditions/configurations/positioning of subs and MLPs) +/- 5 to 9 dB to +/- 1 to 1.5 dB, for the mlp or up to 10 positions averaged (I think you might have seen the results I posted on AH). So while it would interesting and fun to play with other software especially if they are free:) or cheap and are for use with REW/minidsp (only because I have one idling), in practical sense I don't think I need need to do anything else as there won't be any audible gain that I can imagine by using something else. Oh, I did measure impulse response, waterfall, decay, spectrogram etc..., and based on may graphs I have collected, still, I highly doubt I could improve anything that is audible even if I upgrade from what I have now all the way to Trinnov, Dirac Live, manual systems or whatever combo. If this MSO thing is free to try I might do it, but it would be for fun only.

Last edited: A
Here too is a video (long) about mso.
The real value of MSO appears to be in seat to seat variation. The complexity and learning curve always kept me from trying it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Might have..
Yes. I was goofing on what I consider to be a bit of silliness in using a standalone DAC in front of an AVR and invoking AD and DA when one considers the AVR's DAC to sound "yuck-o". Any perceived superiority of the standalone DAC would be obscured by the latter "yuck-o" DAC. This setup would also invite ground loop or other noise, since the extra connection is unbalanced. Connecting to the AVR via HDMI or just using HEOS would eliminate a DA and an AD and any external noise.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
@amirm I figured out the constant connection flakiness with the Android MultiEq app came down to two things for me:

1) I had to have the TV on before launching the MultiEq app (probably depends if your connected to eARC like I was)
2) The microphone had to be unplugged until the app indicated to plug it in

If the TV isn't connected, may not matter, just what worked for me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have not had to do either of those. I don't have the TV on and I plug the mic in before I load the app.
I think many of us experienced different connection results do to HDMI handshank timing and the app software timing. Early on (2-3 years ago) I wrestled with a number of connection problems to the pre/pro. The hardware has remained completely unchanged, the software upgrades has been the only variable. But things have gone from voodoo like, to now totally reliable thank goodness. ;)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I started using the Android app a little over a year ago, first on my LG phone, then on my Samsung tablet, and never experienced a single problem. Rock solid for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom