• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
USB is not isolated. It has a common ground, and that allows a ground loop to form between PC to Dac to AMP (expecially if the amp is in a powered speaker)

KoiHime

I'm tripping ball right now, just received my DX3 pro+ to use through line out with my Presonus eris 5 + temblor t8 sub. I plug the USB to my PC and hell breaks loose. HUGE interference issues through the line out. I can't even move the mouse without hearing huge interference, pops and bangs. I use a power cord with surge protection but apparently my pc has terrible USB port isolation. If I change to my laptop everything works fine. Is there any magic solution for being able to "clean" the interference from a USB port?

EDIT: I will switch to toslink, fuck USB ports
I had similar issue with DX3 Pro+ usb port.
My dx3 was connected to SMSL AO200 using regular RCA cable, there was noticeable background noise and hum,(volume setting above 24 on ao200) even when I'm not using USB function, I had to unplug the usb port to get rid of the noise.

Luckily, the RCA to XLR cable resolved this issue for me. Now the noise is literally gone, even at max volume on the amp(didn't play any sound, because that would probably blow the speakers).
Maybe you can try this kind of cable to see if it can help.
61JVRKbGF-L._SL1200_.jpg

Tortimer

My dx3 was connected to SMSL AO200 using regular RCA cable, there was noticeable background noise and hum,(volume setting above 24 on ao200) even when I'm not using USB function, I had to unplug the usb port to get rid of the noise.

Luckily, the RCA to XLR cable resolved this issue for me. Now the noise is literally gone, even at max volume on the amp(didn't play any sound, because that would probably blow the speakers).
61JVRKbGF-L._SL1200_.jpg
The subwoofer does not have XLR inputs but it does have TRS balanced inputs, I do have the speakers wired to the subwoofer via TRS balanced cables.
PC -USB-> DX3 -RCA-> Sub -TRS -> Speakers
My problem was quite more severe than noise and a hum though, I had clear interference crackling and popping when moving the mouse or doing basically any action with the keyboard or mouse. If using balanced IO solved anything shouldn't all the interference only be audible in the sub and not the speakers?
I might try this in the future anyway if I need the optical in for a TV or something similar, optical solved the issue for now.

audiofun

61JVRKbGF-L._SL1200_.jpg
Your signal is not true balanced. Here is a better way to do it and with just an addition resistor the output is fully balanced:

KoiHime

Your signal is not true balanced. Here is a better way to do it and with just an addition resistor the output is fully balanced:

Thank you very much for the guide!
Initially, I bought this cable was because I saw your post and wanted to try your method;). Resistors I ordered came few days after I tried the cable and noticed the noise problem got resolved. I will try to make it impedance balanced in the future(I need to learn how to do basic solder first:oops:).

Rainman

This explains all the differences you are hearing ;) the DX3 just doesn't inflate any frequency response
I have been playing around with the headphones out and used a software sided equalizer to match what I hear (and prefer) from my amplifier's HP out. I was now able to get a similar power distribution along the frequencies that sounded almost equally pleasant to me.

And the music I listened to sounded much more clearer/detailed indeed on the DX3 Pro+ than the one I get from the amplifiers.

So if I am able to alter the digital input to my own preference using an equalizer, I am happy now with what the HP amp produces.

Does anybody know whether there is a method of adding a permanent 'personal equalizer' profile to the DAC that could either be permanently applied or selected just as the predefined PCM filter settings? For switching in between different sources and DAC/Preamp mode that would be really nice.

If not, ist there any DAC/Headphone Amp that offers such a thing?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3Pro+ does not have any built-in EQ.
For a DAC+Amp with hardware EQ, take a look at the Qudelix 5K or the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been playing around with the headphones out and used a software sided equalizer to match what I hear (and prefer) from my amplifier's HP out. I was now able to get a similar power distribution along the frequencies that sounded almost equally pleasant to me.

And the music I listened to sounded much more clearer/detailed indeed on the DX3 Pro+ than the one I get from the amplifiers.

So if I am able to alter the digital input to my own preference using an equalizer, I am happy now with what the HP amp produces.
Excellent! Also, I respect that you find a logical solution, i.e. EQing to preference rather than stubbornly believing the other amp has some unexplainable property that makes it sound better. A lot of people would not be so rational so hats off to you.

Also like static mentions, if you want permanent filtering (it's basically similar to people needing room EQ for speakers) you need a built-in solution. DX3 doesn't come with that so you're reliant on software.

Rainman

Excellent! Also, I respect that you find a logical solution, i.e. EQing to preference rather than stubbornly believing the other amp has some unexplainable property that makes it sound better.
Thanks, your link to the diyaudioheaven Impedance page has been very helpful in understanding the basics that I was dealing with here.
(And, with a photography background, being slightly aware of analogue/digital signal processing and personal sensory perception, I think I now start to see where all the audiophile snake oil might be coming from...)

Also like static mentions, if you want permanent filtering (it's basically similar to people needing room EQ for speakers) you need a built-in solution. DX3 doesn't come with that so you're reliant on software.

It's a pity that there are obviously so few HP amps with dedicated EQ options, would have expected more.

I just wrote topping an email asking them whether there is a possibility to somehow apply/inject a permanent personalized (EQ/PCM)filter to the device. I'll make an update if I get an answer.

However, I don't know if the PCM-Filters are hard- or software encoded in the DX3 Pro+, but I would rather think that they are also software-sided code sitting logically before the DAC (such as a simple textfile with a 1-Dimensional table with frequency and decibel) and could probably be externally accessed via software somehow.

Last edited:

Arutha

Hello guys, i have a question. I have a Yamaha A-S701 stereo amp and pair of Polk Audio Signature S30 Bookshelf but i will replace them with Polk Audio Lsim 703. I don't have yet a good headphone but i will get one. I am using my computer as source which has a Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi Z390 motherboard with ALC1220-VB.
I was considering to buy Creative Soundblaster AE-7 internal sound card but somehow found this DX3 Pro+ while digging up info. I am mainly watching movies and playing games and occasionally listening music. Both products will cost me same, which one should i chose?

Veri

Master Contributor
It's a pity that there are obviously so few HP amps with dedicated EQ options, would have expected more.

I just wrote topping an email asking them whether there is a possibility to somehow apply/inject a permanent personalized (EQ/PCM)filter to the device. I'll make an update if I get an answer.
I believe they're working on something like a 'budget' RME ADI-2 but could take a long while in R&D before they have a working viable prototype :D

tvih

Hello guys, i have a question. I have a Yamaha A-S701 stereo amp and pair of Polk Audio Signature S30 Bookshelf but i will replace them with Polk Audio Lsim 703. I don't have yet a good headphone but i will get one. I am using my computer as source which has a Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi Z390 motherboard with ALC1220-VB.
I was considering to buy Creative Soundblaster AE-7 internal sound card but somehow found this DX3 Pro+ while digging up info. I am mainly watching movies and playing games and occasionally listening music. Both products will cost me same, which one should i chose?
Well... I don't know how the AE-7 would measure nor ever heard it so I can't say how its sound quality would compare, but even that aside they're fairly different products. You can use the Topping even without a PC, while the AE-7 supports multichannel audio if you ever wanted to upgrade to that.

Arutha

Well... I don't know how the AE-7 would measure nor ever heard it so I can't say how its sound quality would compare, but even that aside they're fairly different products. You can use the Topping even without a PC, while the AE-7 supports multichannel audio if you ever wanted to upgrade to that.
I don't plan to upgrade to surround system, maybe i will add subwoofer thats all. Topping has an advantage being able to use with different source, thats a big plus. Will i be lose something important if i chose Topping over Creative? I liked this litttle guy here, its promising.

krammis76

Hey guys, so at the moment i've got gaming consoles, 4k bluray players and an apple tv connected to my sony home theatre amp that's connected to my oled tv. I currently use my philips fidelio X2HR and Grado 225x's directly connected to my amp. I'm wondering if i purchase a Topping DX3 Pro+ that i connect to the amp via optical or even rca to connect my headphones to. I get decent sound from the headphone output of the amp but i do feel like it doesn't have amazing dynamic range. Thought if i could bypass the headphone amp on the sony and just use the topping one i may get better sound. And if it will work should i connect it via the optical or coax from my amplifier? Thanks for any info guys!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys, so at the moment i've got gaming consoles, 4k bluray players and an apple tv connected to my sony home theatre amp that's connected to my oled tv. I currently use my philips fidelio X2HR and Grado 225x's directly connected to my amp. I'm wondering if i purchase a Topping DX3 Pro+ that i connect to the amp via optical or even rca to connect my headphones to. I get decent sound from the headphone output of the amp but i do feel like it doesn't have amazing dynamic range. Thought if i could bypass the headphone amp on the sony and just use the topping one i may get better sound. And if it will work should i connect it via the optical or coax from my amplifier? Thanks for any info guys!
Does the sony have digital out? Most AVRs I've looked at only have digital inputs

krammis76

Does the sony have digital out? Most AVRs I've looked at only have digital inputs
Oh damn you are right! I just checked and it doesn't have a digital out at all. My LG C1 does have optical out so i guess i can connect everything to the tv and use the optical out from that to the dac?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh damn you are right! I just checked and it doesn't have a digital out at all. My LG C1 does have optical out so i guess i can connect everything to the tv and use the optical out from that to the dac?
Yes if you don't mind having the TV on for all headphone use. It should also work with just the audio from the AVR to TV. I don't think you would need all sources connected to the TV.

Rainman

I just wrote topping an email asking them whether there is a possibility to somehow apply/inject a permanent personalized (EQ/PCM)filter to the device.
Just received an email stating that there is and will be no possibility to do such a thing to the DX3 Pro+, but "combined with the actual situation, if it is possible to achieve, we will add it to our future new products".

Last edited:
Top Bottom