• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rick63

I ordered one on Wednesday for my bedroom setup and it just arrived. I guess I should have read through the entire 51 pages after all, because I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get to the setup menu going by the instruction booklet, and finally gave up and did a Google search which led me back to this thread for the answer. LOL. What an odd way to have to get access the setup menu, not to mention the unclear wording in the manual. -:)

I'm anxious to test it out this evening.

20220409_140635.jpg
20220409_143625.jpg

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered one on Wednesday for my bedroom setup and it just arrived. I guess I should have read through the entire 51 pages after all, because I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get to the setup menu going by the instruction booklet, and finally gave up and did a Google search which led me back to this thread for the answer. LOL. What an odd way to have to get access the setup menu, not to mention the unclear wording in the manual. -:)

I'm anxious to test it out this evening.

View attachment 198794View attachment 198795
NIce photo. It really is all of the DAC/Amp most people will ever need.

Rick63

NIce photo. It really is all of the DAC/Amp most people will ever need.

I agree.

I had been using separate units in my bedroom setup (L30/Schiit Modi 3), until I recently had to move the DAC into another room. I was initially going to order either another Modi 3 or an E30, but the more I thought about it I decided to spend $50 more for an all in one unit to simplify, and in the process gaining a 2nd coaxial input, Bluetooth, and remote.

Liya

It really is all of the DAC/Amp most people will ever need.
A friend connected an active speakers to this Topping.
The Line Out button have two functions: first click is preamp mode (variable line out) and second click is line out.
He sold it as he said: one click too far and you are in full blast.
Not sure if anyone would want that. But if you have a separate volume pot (in an integrated amp perhaps), then this isn't an issue.

Rick63

A friend connected an active speakers to this Topping.
The Line Out button have two functions: first click is preamp mode (variable line out) and second click is line out.
He sold it as he said: one click too far and you are in full blast.

Do you mean if he hit the line out button twice on the remote? I ask because mine doesn't do that, I tried and it only has variable out when I hit the button on the remote whether I click it once or twice, and I tried it several times to be sure. With mine the only way I can change it from m-p preamp mode to m-d DAC mode with fixed out is to use the menu system, so it would be impossible for me to accidentally send my active monitors a full line out signal.

Perhaps Topping made a change at some point because of this?

Liya

Do you mean if he hit the line out button twice on the remote? I ask because mine doesn't do that, I tried and it only has variable out when I hit the button on the remote whether I click it once or twice, and I tried it several times to be sure. With mine the only way I can change it from m-p preamp mode to m-d DAC mode with fixed out is to use the menu system, so it would be impossible for me to accidentally send my active monitors a full line out signal.

Perhaps Topping made a change at some point because of this?
It was first version of the dac.

I am not sure whether he dig into the menu system. I can only assume he did.
Anyway, good to hear now, it is the way you say it is.

Last edited:

Talisman

Forum Donor
Qualcuno sa se Bluetooh funziona su questo allo stesso modo degli altri dispositivi di Topping? La mia esperienza è stata che pubblicizzava sempre la sua connessione bluetooth indipendentemente dall'ingresso selezionato. Era esasperante perché ogni volta che mi avvicinavo al dispositivo con il mio telefono si connetteva. Alla fine mi ha portato a restituire il dispositivo. Speriamo che sia solo quando viene selezionato l'ingresso bluetooth che la connettività è disponibile.
Pensi che ho notato che il mio smartphone è collegato al bluetooth del dac anche quando va in standby ... Davvero insopportabile

Rick63

I'm pretty thrilled with the DX3 Pro+ after one night of use, and it's everything I expected it to be based on the review here as well as my personal experiences with Topping products. -:)

It is going to be used in my bedroom setup for TV/movies (80%) and music (20%), with TV sound via optical and Blu-Ray/CD discs via coaxial from my Sony UBP-X800, either in preamp mode with my Tannoy Reveal 502's or as a headphone amp with my Fiio FD3 Pro IEMs. Last night I used it exclusively in preamp mode and tonight I'll be trying it out with my IEMs.

What a great time we are in with all the excellent budget gear available!!

dsnyder0cnn

I'm pretty thrilled with the DX3 Pro+ after one night of use, and it's everything I expected it to be based on the review here as well as my personal experiences with Topping products. -:)

It is going to be used in my bedroom setup for TV/movies (80%) and music (20%), with TV sound via optical and Blu-Ray/CD discs via coaxial from my Sony UBP-X800, either in preamp mode with my Tannoy Reveal 502's or as a headphone amp with my Fiio FD3 Pro IEMs. Last night I used it exclusively in preamp mode and tonight I'll be trying it out with my IEMs.

What a great time we are in with all the excellent budget gear available!!
I agree. I think the DX3 Pro+ is one of Topping's best products to date. Everyone should have one.

dreamscene

Noob question warning. Just received my Hifiman Edition XS from Aliexpress.

Just wondering about some of the Settings. Since receiving the DX3Pro+, I have set the output setting in Headphone + Line Out mode using the old Sennheiser HD598 as it showed Dac + Headphone icon on the display. Thus assumed it's doing the Dac thing and the headphone thing and all is well. But recently I put it on headphone Amp only mode. I only use the Topping DX3Pro+ with a headphone (Hifiman Edition XS)

1. Should I keep the output setting in Headphone Amp mode only? Display shows headphone icon but not the DAC icon. Is it still working as a DAC + Headphone Amplifier in headphone amp mode?

2. m-P and m-d. What are these and which one should I have it on just for headphones?

3. Hifiman Edition XS, would you use this headphone in low gain + 6db or high gain +19db? Adjusted for volume, does it matter or does Audiophiles here stick to a certain setting?

Thanks in advance Audio guru's.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Noob question warning. Just received my Hifiman Edition XS from Aliexpress.

Just wondering about some of the Settings. Since receiving the DX3Pro+, I have set the output setting in Headphone + Line Out mode using the old Sennheiser HD598 as it showed Dac + Headphone icon on the display. Thus assumed it's doing the Dac thing and the headphone thing and all is well. But recently I put it on headphone Amp only mode. I only use the Topping DX3Pro+ with a headphone (Hifiman Edition XS)

1. Should I keep the output setting in Headphone Amp mode only? Display shows headphone icon but not the DAC icon. Is it still working as a DAC + Headphone Amplifier in headphone amp mode?

2. m-P and m-d. What are these and which one should I have it on just for headphones?

3. Hifiman Edition XS, would you use this headphone in low gain + 6db or high gain +19db? Adjusted for volume, does it matter or does Audiophiles here stick to a certain setting?

Thanks in advance Audio guru's.
The first two settings only matter if you have something connected to the line outputs (on the back). For my HiFiMan HE400se headphones, +19 dB provides a bit more range, but either enables me to achieve satisfying loudness without maxing out the volume control.

I would use headphones-only and m-d modes if I did not have active monitors connected. Hope this helps.

dreamscene

The first two settings only matter if you have something connected to the line outputs (on the back). For my HiFiMan HE400se headphones, +19 dB provides a bit more range, but either enables me to achieve satisfying loudness without maxing out the volume control.

I would use headphones-only and m-d modes if I did not have active monitors connected. Hope this helps.
depositphotos_59688153-stock-photo-cat-headphones.jpg

Thanks bro.

tvih

Sigh, made the mistake of checking out the newest stuff from Topping, and spotted this... after managing to resist the likes of L30+E30 and EX5, the comparatively lower price and combo functionality ended up too much to resist seeing as how much it has improved from the earlier DX3 Pro. Though "sunk cost" into researching all these things was a factor at this point too, probably into triple digit hours over the last few years.

At least this is truly the endgame though - I know that's pretty much a meme thing to say with audio stuff, but hell, for 12? years I've been using a cheap USB-DAC which isn't even meant to be used as a headphone amp but has a headphone out regardless, and was the reason I didn't go for the earlier options - or the likes of FiiO etc. before finding this site - since it already sounded so good. So good to go for the next few decades as long as the damn thing doesn't break... that my affordable Topping TP30 tripath amp is still kicking after over a decade hopefully sets a good precedent. Hopefully I won't explode my AKG K702s by accidentally managing to use too high a volume, given the massive power headroom left over.

I do wish it had at least a source selector button on the unit itself - it'll be on my desk where it'd actually be easier to poke the unit than the remote, plus as a safeguard if the remote fails or is lost - and that the headphone plug was 6.3mm instead of 3.5mm, but other than those it pretty much seems to encompass my needs for such a unit very nicely indeed.

And now to spam F5 on the order status maniacally 'til it's in my hands...

Last edited:

Nate T

My question is, has the fragility to static electricity that the DX3 experienced been solved? I have gone through multiple output op-amps on mine. I replaced several myself first - blew them every few months when I'd shift in my chair or pick up a sweater, or really anything while wearing headphones. (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-142#post-150957)

Got sick of doing that (and the pads were pretty messed up after several replacements with my less than expert soldering) so I eventually made a warranty claim and got a new, apparently updated device. It died in the same way. Topping (who has been great) sent me a final replacement a few months ago - it was outside the warranty period at that point, but I only paid return shipping. Unfortunately... that one died today just as all the others have.

I don't know exactly what the issue is here, but there's clearly a design flaw in the device if it can't handle levels of static generated by everyday activities. I've worn the same headphones connected directly to my PC MB for many months before and in-between working DX3s, and have never had an issue there.

I love the thing otherwise though, so if this has been fixed in the Pro+ I'll order one today.

bt3

I agree.

I had been using separate units in my bedroom setup (L30/Schiit Modi 3), until I recently had to move the DAC into another room. I was initially going to order either another Modi 3 or an E30, but the more I thought about it I decided to spend $50 more for an all in one unit to simplify, and in the process gaining a 2nd coaxial input, Bluetooth, and remote.
The E30 comes with a remote, so not something E30 doesn't provide and DX3Pro+ does. Same exact light plastic remote too. I prefer light and plastic remotes for every electronic device. I'll never understand why some audiophiles burst with pride over a weighty remote made of stainless steel or whatever other weighty substance. Buy wrist weights for a workout, not a remote.

My E30/L30 tale of woe..
After receiving my L30 replacement, first plug-in I smelled burnt electrical odor. I unplugged L30 immediately. My E30/L30 stack ceased to function for me. All I got was ERR on display. Thankfully no headphones connected at time. This was the so-called "corrected" L30.
I did not have time to deal with it then, as both my parents passed around that period, and I was understandably preoccupied for some time. I finally got around to contacting Apos Audio, they said "support for L30 is finished." Was out of warranty, so get that. Sent L30/E30 back to Topping. A real PITA being I'm in states. $28.50 to ship. Topping said $20.00 to ship back, and heavens knows what they'll charge to fix if it can be fixed. May eat the $28.50, have Topping toss the stack. The stack worked without a hitch until I got the replacement L30. Ordered a DX3Pro+. A chump for giving Topping a second chance? Don't answer that - it was rhetorical a question.
Truthfully I'd feel much better if I didn't spent my money with a country that supports kleptocrats. Oops. Strayed into politics. Delete if you must.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

After receiving my L30 replacement, first plug-in I smelled burnt electrical odor. I unplugged L30 immediately. My E30/L30 stack ceased to function for me. All I got was ERR on display.
It looks like the barrel connectors for the E30 and L30 are the same size. If so, an unfortunate design decision. I wonder if you somehow managed to Connect the L30's 15V A/C power to the E30 by mistake. That very well might release the magic smoke. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason why a bad L30 would damage an upstream E30.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but the DX3 Pro+ has been solid for me so far. Hoping you have the same luck.

Nate T

My question is, has the fragility to static electricity that the DX3 experienced been solved? I have gone through multiple output op-amps on mine. I replaced several myself first - blew them every few months when I'd shift in my chair or pick up a sweater, or really anything while wearing headphones. (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-142#post-150957)

Got sick of doing that (and the pads were pretty messed up after several replacements with my less than expert soldering) so I eventually made a warranty claim and got a new, apparently updated device. It died in the same way. Topping (who has been great) sent me a final replacement a few months ago - it was outside the warranty period at that point, but I only paid return shipping. Unfortunately... that one died today just as all the others have.

I don't know exactly what the issue is here, but there's clearly a design flaw in the device if it can't handle levels of static generated by everyday activities. I've worn the same headphones connected directly to my PC MB for many months before and in-between working DX3s, and have never had an issue there.

I love the thing otherwise though, so if this has been fixed in the Pro+ I'll order one today.
I just got a reply from Topping support on this: "Yes, the DX3 pro+ is equipped with electrostatic protection in its circuit design."

So that's great news! Will definitely be picking one up now.

davidrf

I bought my first DX3 Pro+ a couple of weeks ago but I immediately returned it because it had a bad screen out of the box. Then, disappointed, I decided to buy a Fiio K5 ESS. After a week of using the Fiio (that is pretty good and really no-nonsense), I decided to buy another DX3 Pro+, directly compare it with the Fiio and then return the product I liked the less.

Well, I just returned the Fiio K5. I'm still very worried about Topping build quality / quality control but it is pretty obvious the DX3 Pro+ sounds better than the Fiio. Not by A LOT, but still pretty noticeable. I hear a wider soundstage, more definition, and more pleasant high mids. Audio quality-wise there's not even a slight doubt.

Let's hope this one does not fail in some way...

dreamscene

I bought my first DX3 Pro+ a couple of weeks ago but I immediately returned it because it had a bad screen out of the box. Then, disappointed, I decided to buy a Fiio K5 ESS. After a week of using the Fiio (that is pretty good and really no-nonsense), I decided to buy another DX3 Pro+, directly compare it with the Fiio and then return the product I liked the less.

Well, I just returned the Fiio K5. I'm still very worried about Topping build quality / quality control but it is pretty obvious the DX3 Pro+ sounds better than the Fiio. Not by A LOT, but still pretty noticeable. I hear a wider soundstage, more definition, and more pleasant high mids. Audio quality-wise there's not even a slight doubt.

Let's hope this one does not fail in some way...
Go into settings and disable the display, it's a big failure point according to reports here. The resale value will be shot if some of the display lines goes kaput.

Top Bottom