• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

TimW

Major Contributor
Analog input (ADC) added to the review as well:

index.php

index.php
Thanks Amir!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If the following says the included power adapter works maybe I should ask my money back from the English education system…
You should, at least in the context of reading American English. It says it did not work so [the same], when using computer USB port.

Ajax

Forum Donor
I just bought one as it is bit perfect, inexpensive and I don't use Roon.

With regard to those who are unhappy with Amir's lack of "personal" recommendation can I suggested in the strongest possible terms that you grow up and make your own decisions on whether or not the item is for you. I'll use Tidal Connect into a wiim / Topping D50s combination, which should work well for me.

I have been purchasing hifi equipment for 40+ years and have never before experienced such a comprehensive an objective resource such as ASR to assist with my decisions. I read the web site everyday and it has led me to several inexpensive SOTA pieces of equipment that I am delighted with.

Please don't bite the hand that feeds you.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should, at least in the context of reading American English. It says it did not work so [the same], when using computer USB port.
I am sorry but I cannot follow your sentence. Did it work with the supplied power adapter or not? It’s a simple question. If it worked why have you mentioned that it didn’t?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am sorry but I cannot follow your sentence. Did it work with the supplied power adapter or not? It’s a simple question. If it worked why have you mentioned that it didn’t?
Of course it worked with its own power supply. It just didn't when I tried to power it with my USB hub.

Lambda

Major Contributor
The purpose there is not to read the noise floor, there is a separate measurement for that. Calculating the noise floor from FFT is non trivial as you also need to know the impact of the window function. The main use of that graph is a relative measure compared to other products I test since the FFT length and window are constant.
because this is not trivial and we don't know what FFT gain is and the documentation only says "Math can be used to back out this gain using the number of points."
Even REW has the option to measure /display in v/√Hz so i assume no problem with expensive AP software?

I say it would be better to use dB/√Hz. the industry standard to show noise vs frequency in a way you can directly read of the graph and compare.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

With regard to those who are unhappy with Amir's lack of "personal" recommendation can I suggested in the strongest possible terms that you grow up and make your own decisions on whether or not the item is for you. I'll use Tidal Connect into a wiim / Topping D50s combination, which should work well for me.

I have been purchasing hifi equipment for 40+ years and have never before experienced such a comprehensive an objective resource such as ASR to assist with my decisions. I read the web site everyday and it has led me to several inexpensive SOTA pieces of equipment that I am delighted with.

Not keeping track but I think most/all those who have questioned Amir's lack of recommendation already purchased the unit without his recommendation and as such have already decided the unit meets their needs. I don't think Amir is so thin skinned to be offended by the comments.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course it worked with its own power supply. It just didn't when I tried to power it with my USB hub.
Thank you for clarifying.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
because this is not trivial and we don't know what FFT gain is and the documentation only says "Math can be used to back out this gain using the number of points."
Even REW has the option to measure /display in v/√Hz so i assume no problem with expensive AP software?
There is no such option in AP software. Please take these generic complaints to another thread.

poxymoron

my thoughts exactly

TimW

Major Contributor
View attachment 200335;)

It is possible, but manual work. I for one am thankful for what i got.

Agreed, that's a great feature indeed.

VOTE GREAT!
I gave in to your relentless demand after seeing the added measurements. Price/feature ratio is great with more features being added continuously and performance is adequat imho.

TimW

Major Contributor
Frequency Response added to the review:

index.php

I see no issues there at all.
I would like to interrupt the bickering about Amirs opinions to point out that Hans Beekhuyzen's frequency response measurement was completely inaccurate. We should have all known Han's subjective opinions were ludicrous but now we have objective evidence that he's a quack.

deafenears

Forum Donor
o_O common sense tells us that it'll work with the *supplied* power adapter, otherwise why would it be provided with that? The original review mentions that it did not work when powered by computer USB port and that the included phone charger needs to be used.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
o_O common sense tells us that it'll work with the *supplied* power adapter, otherwise why would it be provided with that? The original review mentions that it did not work when powered by computer USB port and that the included phone charger needs to be used.
Common sense tells us but when you read this on the review wouldn’t you question further?

An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C. It did not work so when I used my computer USB port.

Assuming the word “when” is a typo for “then” the sentence reads: the phone charger did not work so I used my computer USB port.

Anyway, soon the moderator will ban me being personal, again, so I bow out.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

deafenears

Forum Donor

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom