• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir is objectively wrong in not sharing my opinion. Once he gets wiser, he will like what i like.

Vote "Great" now or find yourself on the wrong side of history!

Attachments

• 0udTDfk.jpeg
    0udTDfk.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 115

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing plus some powered speakers (or passive + Aiyima amp or something) plus a Tidal subscription and Bob's your uncle.
Doesn't do the fourth unfolding.;)

Would have agreed if you wrote Quobuz.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Chromecast Audio AMIR said "easily gets my recommendation" despite its crappy DAC section and lack of gapless playback. Of course the WiiM deserves a strong recommendation for its use as streamer with output to a good DAC.
Chromecast analog output is much better than WiiM mini. Its dynamic range for example is 10 dB better. Yet the whole thing, DAC and streamer, only cost $35. WiiM Mini triples the cost yet delivers lower analog performance.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Chromecast analog output is much better than WiiM mini. Its dynamic range for example is 10 dB better. Yet the whole thing, DAC and streamer, only cost $35. WiiM Mini triples the cost yet delivers lower analog performance.

Noted. I don't think the WiiM is to be recommended as a DAC. I don't see how it cannot be recommended as a streaming alternative for non-Roon users which is most of the ASR universe.

WiiM does not exactly triple the cost as the $35 Chromecast no longer exists and when it did it was less capable as a streamer.

Last edited:

telemike

Can't imagine wanting to replace an RPi4 running Moode with this puck. It looks like a solution for Airplay users that don't mind truncating 96K files? I can't see a reason to want one. But I already have three RPi4 units now. :p:D;)
Pi doesn't stream Amazon

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pi doesn't stream Amazon
Agreed, but that's not the point. The RPi/Moode is awesome if you like to tinker, for example with CamillaDSP.

The WiiM is a device for people that just want to listen to music and have a spare Toslink input on their amp.
Also caters to the ASR folk that like to hunt for the best value.

I see room for both.

Don't forget to vote "Great", you can thank yourself later.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll order one on Amazon and will send it back if it's not as good as my RPI-4. RPI-4 is dead simple to use. Set it up and forget it. I like using the USB out on RPi4 to the ADI-2 input. It looks like this $100 WiiM streamer is missing that basic function to begin with. Lets hope the rest of the comparison is not totally downhill too. :D

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
The CCA was one of those rare values and was only possible because of the Goog’s financial might. This device comes as close to it from a price to performance ratio as anything I’ve seen. I think they are hitting a sweet spot with a streamer that will work with folks who don’t have the technical patience to futz with an RPi, and just want something to work. I would have no issue recommending this to my friends and family to go along with an cheap Topping DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Last and i think most Common question, after your tests. When using wiim as digital transport via toslink, there will be any difference in sound quality vs node as digital transport?
If the digital path is bit perfect then there is no difference in sound.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll order one on Amazon and will send it back if it's not as good as my RPI-4. RPI-4 is dead simple to use. Set it up and forget it. I like using the USB out of the ADI-2 to RPI4. It looks like this $100 WiiM streamer is missing that basic function to begin with. Lets hope the rest of the comparison is not totally downhill too. :D
It's "missing" a USB input since it's designed to replace use of a computer as streamer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What was that maximum sample rate you were sending to the device?
I only tested 44.1 and 48 kHz. The Toslink output supports up to 192 kHz but your DAC/receiver may not go above 96 kHz. With USB support as you know, sky is the limit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why is Roon important?
It is the simplest, easiest, least buggy local streaming I have found. Plug in a streaming device that supports and it instantly shows up as another virtual sound interface in Roon. Stuff just works and at highest fidelity.

respice finem

Major Contributor
We have no idea as it’s not tested. For whatever reason @amirm didn't like the device even though tests were OK.
According to the review text, because of missing Roon support
Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player. That aside, it is great to see bit exact digital output in a budget streamer allowing you to improve its performance to any level you want using your own DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We have no idea as it’s not tested.
What do you mean it wasn't tested? I tested it by hooking it up to my monitor USB hub where I test all audio products from. I thought the LED lit up but I could no longer get output from the unit. Powered it back from its own adapter and it started to work again. I am not going to do an exhaustive test for stuff like this.

Top Bottom