• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

Freddy

If you do not like live performances of opera or concerts, that is your problem, not anyone else's.
"Or you could just abandon your status-seeking tastes and buy the perfectly affordable gear that has been proven on here to outperform the ritzy stuff" Has it? How? By using an ages old and not particularly relevant measurement called Sinad? Please do not make me laugh.

"he’s a plant from Head-Fi" Yes, srkbear, when someone challenges your opinions resort to ad hominem attacks because you fail to argue logically.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you do not like live performances of opera or concerts, that is your problem, not anyone else's.
"Or you could just abandon your status-seeking tastes and buy the perfectly affordable gear that has been proven on here to outperform the ritzy stuff" Has it? How? By using an ages old and not particularly relevant measurement called Sinad? Please do not make me laugh.

"he’s a plant from Head-Fi" Yes, srkbear, when someone challenges your opinions resort to ad hominem attacks because you fail to argue logically.
Your posts have been nothing but ad hominems sir, and they’ve been consistently free of any evidence other than your impeccable, classist tastes.

Not once in the 38 times you’ve posted here, since you joined last month, have you contributed anything but condescending dismissals of others’ views—your MO has clearly been to take every opportunity to lob derisive insults, challenge others’ credentials, and drop a lot of ritzy names in the course of making your disdain of measurements and everything this site stands for perfectly clear.

It’s really tiresome, an antidote for fun or enjoyment, and other than this final confrontation I refuse to engage with it. Whatever your aims are, they don’t play well with others, and I sure wish you’d stop—you’re depressing people. One must wonder what benefits you derive from acting insufferable, but I’ll leave it to others to figure that out. Cheers.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyway, while Freddy and srkbear duke it out, I bought a Topping DX5 based o Amir's review. BTW, my "money" is on srkbear.

Freddy

"ritzy names"
Ah here it is! You automatically do not like anything that is more than you are prepared to spend. Well expense is a major issue for me as well, but I still like equipment that sounds good.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, while Freddy and srkbear duke it out, I bought a Topping DX5 based o Amir's review. BTW, my "money" is on srkbear.
Believe me, I’m done. I got hooked in for a moment, I admit—it happens to the best of us.

I bought my Topping D90se on Amir’s review, after driving myself crazy auditioning a stack of DACs. And once I realized that on any given day, with all other factors being equal, one or another would subjectively sound better or worse to me without reason, I trusted his measurements and haven’t looked back.

Amir himself once stated that measurements are not reliable for everything—I forget his exact percentages for headphones and amps, but for DACs it was 100% of the story, and ultimately I came to understand why. Just based on the job a DAC is designed for—to produce the closest possible facsimile of the source material from a bunch of ones and zeroes—his reasoning made logical sense to me. And it was equally sensible that for digital audio, the state of the art would progress to the point where variances would be beyond the range of human hearing—and once that goal was achieved the cost of production would become less and less.

I believe that it’s my headphones (and to a lesser extent my amp) that provide me with the nuances I seek such as soundstage, tonality, warmth, etc. From my DAC, I just want it to provide me with the most accurate version of the original master possible, with the least distortion or noise.

I wish I could say that he truly saved me money in the end—what I saved on my DAC went straight into putting the largest charge on my Amex in my life, in the form of headphones. And I still occasionally fight the FOMO over whether I should get a Gustard x18…

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Believe me, I’m done. I got hooked in for a moment, I admit—it happens to the best of us.

I bought my Topping D90se on Amir’s review, after driving myself crazy auditioning a stack of DACs. And once I realized that on any given day, with all other factors being equal, one or another would subjectively sound better or worse to me without reason, I trusted his measurements and haven’t looked back.

Amir himself once stated that measurements are not reliable for everything—I forget his exact percentages for headphones and amps, but for DACs it was 100% of the story, and ultimately I came to understand why. Just based on the job a DAC is designed for—to produce the closest possible facsimile of the source material from a bunch of ones and zeroes—his reasoning made logical sense to me. And it was equally sensible that for digital audio, the state of the art would progress to the point where variances would be beyond the range of human hearing—and once that goal was achieved the cost of production would become less and less.

I believe that it’s my headphones (and to a lesser extent my amp) that provide me with the nuances I seek such as soundstage, tonality, warmth, etc. From my DAC, I just want it to provide me with the most accurate version of the original master possible, with the least distortion or noise.

I wish I could say that he truly saved me money in the end—what I saved on my DAC went straight into putting the largest charge on my Amex in my life, in the form of headphones. And I still occasionally fight the FOMO over whether I should get a Gustard x18…

Are you really going to leave us hanging on your headphone purchase?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you really going to leave us hanging on your headphone purchase?
Oh crap I purposely left that out so I wouldn’t have to revisit it. What makes it all the more painful is that there wasn’t one—there were three. I think Mastercard still technically owns one of them.

*sigh*. Please don’t trash the choices. I got a Focal Utopia that I rolled with Stellia pads, a HifiMan Susvara, and Sony Z1Rs. One open-backed dynamic, one closed back dynamic, and a planar. Of late I’ve been wondering if I should sell the Susvaras before they fall apart more than they had from the factory, and check out these Meze Empyrean Elites—but I’m still waiting for Amir to review them. And I still wonder what I missed out on by not trying the Dan Clark Stealths. I know Amir continues to rave about them, but it was too late…

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Oh crap I purposely left that out so I wouldn’t have to revisit it. What makes it all the more painful is that there wasn’t one—there were three. I think Mastercard still technically owns one of them.

*sigh*. Please don’t trash the choices. I got a Focal Utopia that I rolled with Stellia pads, a HifiMan Susvara, and Sony Z1Rs. One open-backed dynamic, one closed back dynamic, and a planar. Of late I’ve been wondering if I should sell the Susvaras before they fall apart more than they had from the factory, and check out these Meze Empyrean Elites—but I’m still waiting for Amir to review them. And I still wonder what I missed out on by not trying the Dan Clark Stealths. I know Amir continues to rave about them, but it was too late…

I'm waiting on a pair of Aeon Noire. I'm also, without hearing them, dreaming of Aoen Noire Open headphones. Could it ever happen?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
L
I'm waiting on a pair of Aeon Noire. I'm also, without hearing them, dreaming of Aoen Noire Open headphones. Could it ever happen?
They’re on Amazon, 30 day return policy. That’s how I auditioned stacks of gear, I’m not ashamed. Try them, what have you got to lose? :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your posts have been nothing but ad hominems sir, and they’ve been consistently free of any evidence other than your impeccable, classist tastes.

Not once in the 38 times you’ve posted here, since you joined last month, have you contributed anything but condescending dismissals of others’ views—your MO has clearly been to take every opportunity to lob derisive insults, challenge others’ credentials, and drop a lot of ritzy names in the course of making your disdain of measurements and everything this site stands for perfectly clear.

It’s really tiresome, an antidote for fun or enjoyment, and other than this final confrontation I refuse to engage with it. Whatever your aims are, they don’t play well with others, and I sure wish you’d stop—you’re depressing people. One must wonder what benefits you derive from acting insufferable, but I’ll leave it to others to figure that out. Cheers.
There's an ignore button you might want to avail yourself of :)

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I purchased the SMSL SU-6 based on Amir’s measurements and recommendation along with its perfect-for-me feature set. I’ve been in the game for a couple of decades and, being firmly in the subjectivist camp, I wanted to hear one of these inexpensive recommended DACs for myself. Honestly, I couldn’t wrap my head around judging a product, a DAC in particular, without actually listening to it.

I now understand the concept.

The past 6 weeks with the SU-6 has helped me realize I’ve used DACs not only for their intended use but also as a means for tone control, for synergy, to help correct flaws in my system. Instead of pursuing transparent and neutral I was simply tailoring the sound. I'm grateful for this newfound perspective that will certainly impact any future purchase should I go down that road again.

horias2000

Forum Donor
I bought the SMSL SU-9n based on the great review/measurements made by Amir. It's a great DAC and I'm enjoying a lot of good music using it. Previously I was using a DAC made by me. Using 2x WM8740 DACs and a CM6631A USB to I2S interface. It had XLR outputs and a headphone amp using the TPA6120A. It sounded great but the SU-9n is better in every aspect. I'm still using the DAC+hadphone amp at the office with a pair of DT770PROs (80OHM). I also tested Roon based on the fact that Amir was using it and after the trial period I decided to purchase a one year subscription. I like Roon but there a a few things I don't really enjoy. I'm not convinced I'll go for another year when the subscription ends. Good thing I do not have to decide soon :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, my "money" is on srkbear.
With you there.

Three devices i have bought so far based on info from here:
  1. Cambridge Audio Duo
  2. Audiophonice Hypex NC252MP
  3. MiniDSP Flex
Neither of which disappointed.
It works :cool:

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Tell me more about that MiniDSP Flex?Fu
Funny, I own a miniDSP Flex and an Apollon amp that uses the 252 module. The Flex is awesome baby! You gotta get one!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tell me more about that MiniDSP Flex?
What do you want to know? It's fixing my rooms boomyness right now, is my DAC and preamp and i have yet to buy the Dirac license. It replaced my MiniDSP 2x4 HD, has more functions and better measurements.

If you can get one, go for it, it's a cool device. :cool:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also tested Roon based on the fact that Amir was using it and after the trial period I decided to purchase a one year subscription.
What amount did you pay for a year? I might give it a try too.

Funny, I own a miniDSP Flex and an Apollon amp that uses the 252 module. The Flex is awesome baby! You gotta get one!
Great combination. What speakers do you use?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The past 6 weeks with the SU-6 has helped me realize I’ve used DACs not only for their intended use but also as a means for tone control, for synergy, to help correct flaws in my system. Instead of pursuing transparent and neutral I was simply tailoring the sound. I'm grateful for this newfound perspective that will certainly impact any future purchase should I go down that road again.
Consider the money you'll not waste.
At least not on meaningless updates. :cool:

VMAT4

Forum Donor
What amount did you pay for a year? I might give it a try too.

Great combination. What speakers do you use?
Emotiva Airmotiv T1 speakers and a Rythmik L12 subwoofer. I'm told there is very little difference between the T1 and T1+ models.
I can't say how much Ilike the ability to do 2.1 with the Flex, it's great! I find the difference between DIRAC 2.1 and plain stereo to be
greater than the difference between stereo and mono.

Top Bottom