• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

OP
Teeter

Teeter

My update: Since giving the JBL Stage 130A another chance, I have not looked back. Netflix movies and the like, never sounded better in my HT 5.1 system. Once in a while, I'll listen to internet music or the music channels on Directv Satellite. These JBL Stage 130A's are a keeper. I recently read an independent reviewer, rated this speaker a little bit better than the JBL 530's. But, everyone's ears are different too. The JBL 130's are more neutral over the R-51M.

I like Amir's reviews with stats coupled with opinions and comments. This is a great forum.
I have to take this all back. I went back to the Klipsch R-51M, FL FR and reinstalled the R-15M's SR SL, for finalization. I watch only DD movies and some internet MP3. I went back and forth 4 times on the JBL and Klipsch. Sorry folks.

SMc

No, but I have a better idea why my Grado/Cavalli combo didn’t work out.

xirtam2005

Just discovered Amir's reviews today. Did he ever publish SINAD for Oppo 105? I couldn't find it. However, really wish Oppo 205 were still available. Nothing comes close to its sound quality and functionality at its price.

xirtam2005

At the moment I'm interested in a DAC/preamp/headphone amp combo for my desktop computer system. Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M is at the top of my list, but cannot find that Amir reviewed it. The DacMagic 100M was not reviewed well, but the DACMagic Plus did review well, which the 200M is the successor of. Primary purpose for critical listening would be Tidal/MQA streaming with headphone use, but occasional use of 2.1 satellite/sub. DacMagic 200M can output both XLR and mains simultaneously used that way. But I cannot find that Amir reviewed it. Amir very favorably reviews Topping 90 DAC, but it does not have a headphone amp, which is critical. I could go for broke with Benchmark DAC3 HGC, but that seems overkill for this system. Also Benchmark does not support MQA. $500-1000 seems the appropriate price range, given the other components.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At the moment I'm interested in a DAC/preamp/headphone amp combo for my desktop computer system. Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M is at the top of my list, but cannot find that Amir reviewed it. The DacMagic 100M was not reviewed well, but the DACMagic Plus did review well, which the 200M is the successor of. Primary purpose for critical listening would be Tidal/MQA streaming with headphone use, but occasional use of 2.1 satellite/sub. DacMagic 200M can output both XLR and mains simultaneously used that way. But I cannot find that Amir reviewed it. Amir very favorably reviews Topping 90 DAC, but it does not have a headphone amp, which is critical. I could go for broke with Benchmark DAC3 HGC, but that seems overkill for this system. Also Benchmark does not support MQA. $500-1000 seems the appropriate price range, given the other components.
If you use the review index link near top left, you can easily serach for all reviews. I just searched for all Cambridge Audio reviews, and there are only 4, and don't include the 200M.

Taddpole

I have to take this all back. I went back to the Klipsch R-51M, FL FR and reinstalled the R-15M's SR SL, for finalization. I watch only DD movies and some internet MP3. I went back and forth 4 times on the JBL and Klipsch. Sorry folks.
Curious as to why you switched back again

OP
Teeter

Teeter

Curious as to why you switched back again
Klipsch are more dynamic with distinct sound, for the FL, FR, over the Stage A130, to MY ears. 90% of my listening is from DD movies, from my 5.1 system. The Stage A 130 is more neutral to MY ears and not as invigorating.

OP
Teeter

Teeter

Well, I am back to the JBL Stage A130 after turning off an AVR sound adjustment. The sound is no longer being compressed and now natural thru the AVR. The Klipsch R-51M, is not as good as the JBL Stage A 130. I am all done playing around and being undecided.
Gees! The internet music is much better to my ears too, with the Stage A130.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I am back to the JBL Stage A130 after turning off an AVR sound adjustment. The sound is no longer being compressed and now natural thru the AVR. The Klipsch R-51M, is not as good as the JBL Stage A 130. I am all done playing around and being undecided.
Gees! The internet music is much better to my ears too, with the Stage A130.
Teeter - tottered :p:cool:

Marmus

Teeter - tottered :p:cool:
I recently also bought a Sabaj stack dac hpa and 100w amp AND those $9 Sony headphone he eq'd. Nice counter point to all the other stuf. All this site's fault & solderdude. And more Grados cuz I could not believe the massive griping. Ok now I believe. All VERY FUN indeed. Thanks for all the guidance.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Yes, thanks to Amir I bought
AKG k371
Hidizs S9
Topping A50s and a Puffin digital phono EQ.

Plus ..Sony mhc1 thanks to John Yang .
I am very happy with them all .
Plus .. a pair of KRK Rokit G47 powered speakers that I like very much , thanks to Amir and his positive review of their smaller sibling, the KRK Rokit G45.

Last edited:

Eggs Ackley

I got the Topping E50 dac and PA5 amp based on info obtained from this forum. So far I am very pleased. Thank you ASR.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a PA5 and am very pleased-laptop>Qobuz>D10Balanced>PA5>F208's. Very impressive for a tiny amp.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely took the plunge, based on ASR and wider reading;
Sold; Rega Io (integrated), and a bunch of other pieces.
Bought; Topping PA5, miniDSP Flex (balanced) + umik-1 mic
Basic interconnects also based on the advice here
Net cost is zero
Just waiting for the time to swap it all and to measure ... exciting times

brandonhall

Forum Donor
I sold my CXA61 for the same price I paid ($500) due to the review of the CXA81. Prior to that, I bought the Topping E30 and Aiyima A07 to try out for a desktop system. Hard to beat that duo for like $250. I'm going to put them up for sale soon. Just replaced the Cambridge with a Topping PA5 and Topping E50 and I'm happy. I know the system is transparent and it's up to the speakers to "color" the sound to my taste. I think it's safe to say that ASR provides extreme value when electronics are involved.

Top Bottom