• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but since it is OK with the PA5 BTL outputs, I think it does not matter if it could raise up to +20 V or more.
I am sure you are right. The level conversion circuit surely uses at least 10K series resistors. It wouldn't make sense for SVS to allow the sub to work with speaker pouts for these kinds of amps and not hold up with more powerful ones.

nagster

Do you need banana plugs to connect speakers to the terminals or do they have holes in the stock to put bare wire?
The diameter of the hole is about 2.5 mm.
By the way, if you pass the wire through the hole, the banana plug will not fit more than half.
pa5_11.jpg
pa5_12.jpg

nagster

Hi all,
can I use a RCA to TS (unbalanced) cable? Can it damage the amp?
You can use RCA to TS cables or adapters. No problem.
However, the maximum output (1% THD+N ratio) is reduced by about 15% and THD+N ratio is worsened by 0.0001%.
07_thdn_vs_level.png

daniboun

Major Contributor
Either your Multimeter is faulty or your Power supply, maybe you also got some noise getting into your test leads somewhere. the psu isnt grounded, ac leakage is normal and can mess up your results.

i tested mine.

(!! some of it could be from my setup and equipment, im sitting on budget stuff. !!)
equipment used: Unit-T UT61E, Siglent SDS1204X-E, EastTester ET5420 Electronic Load, probes set to 10x. dodgy and long wiring all over the bench.

No load:
37.96V
pretty stable over a timespan of 14 seconds (2V/div)

Noise wasnt too bad either
20Mhz BW limit, 17mV at a few hundred hz.

FFT up to 200khz, ive seen worse.

Constant 4A Load:
Voltage was 37.67V,
also quite stable i dont saw any movement over 14sec (again 2V/div due to my offset range wasnt big enough on 1V/div setting)

noise and ripple increased. roughly 40mV at inner part. looks extreme but keep in mind this is a very low level signal.

And where is all that HF crap coming from? right, the SMPS switching frequency.
its at ~155khz with a bandwidth of 20khz.

the PSU got a little warm after a few minutes under 4A load, nothing to worry about. most notebook psu's doing much worse.

Thanks so much for the shared self measurements.
The stock PSU is definitely not that bad)

BTW :
I asked Amir to test the Connex SMPS300RS LLC vs The brick one, he has both in his possession. It would be really nice to know, what impact can the contribution of a good PSU have in the measurements of the PA5.

Last edited:

Human1

Hi, noob to hifi here. I see a lot of discussion on cables and I was wondering if a simple trs patch cable would work. Is xlr female to trs then adaptor really the only or best way to connect to the e50 dac?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, noob to hifi here. I see a lot of discussion on cables and I was wondering if a simple trs patch cable would work. Is xlr female to trs then adaptor really the only or best way to connect to the e50 dac?
No, you just use TRS to TRS.

AudioArchitech

tons of evidence, to avoid possible eddy current effects

simply taking a magnet to the back of posts not enough, inside the amp side needs to be checked, the nut..

Last edited:

gamerpaddy

where is this "tons of evidence"?
all i find after an hour of googling is either backed by actual data, concluding that there is no audible difference
or random strangers writing their feelings down.
im sure the nut is made of the same material, but im not sure about that lock washer. but since it rests on the plastic part there should be no current flowing trough it.

AudioArchitech

@amirm

we need Amir to get his hands on a bunch of binding posts and do a test!

cheapo of the cheapo ferromagnetic, brass, nickel, pure copper-gold plated... WBT, Electra tube Connectors...

Crosstalk

where is this "tons of evidence"?
all i find after an hour of googling is either backed by actual data, concluding that there is no audible difference
or random strangers writing their feelings down.
im sure the nut is made of the same material, but im not sure about that lock washer. but since it rests on the plastic part there should be no current flowing trough it.
I had a vintage speaker from a german brand I.Q on which I had exchanged the connectors with WBT terminals. I heard no difference whatsoever. But built quality and looks were superb. I will never ever buy expensive connectors.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

we need Amir to get his hands on a bunch of binding posts and do a test!

cheapo of the cheapo ferromagnetic, brass, nickel, pure copper-gold plated... WBT, Electra tube Connectors...
We don't need that. He would test it and there would be zero difference. Certainly audibly, probably measurably.

Tiny magnetic eddy currents won't have any significant impact on the inductance of or losses in the binding post (that is all they could influence).

See the tests at the link posted above. Even steel nails had no audible impact.

Last edited:

timtt

9971EC30-692D-4082-8CC2-C919264EAE94.png
79473479-C53F-4C7E-B949-44E4139D8297.png

Has anyone compared pa5 to outlaw 2220(from amir's reviews it's also a great amplifier)

Davide

Technical question: I read that the input sensitivity of the PA5 is 2.6Vrms.
More or less nearly all balanced DACs deliver more than 4Vrms.
Is it okay to give the PA5 a signal higher than 2.6Vrms and use its knob to adjust the volume?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Technical question: I read that the input sensitivity of the PA5 is 2.6Vrms.
More or less nearly all balanced DACs deliver more than 4Vrms.
Is it okay to give the PA5 a signal higher than 2.6Vrms and use its knob to adjust the volume?
I feed my PA5 a balanced signal from my miniDSP Flex without issue. I leave the PA5 volume at the max and only adjust volume on the miniDSP.

Davide

I feed my PA5 a balanced signal from my miniDSP Flex without issue. I leave the PA5 volume at the max and only adjust volume on the miniDSP.
Yeah but I haven't volume control on my dac...
Can I still supply the PA5 with a higher voltage and use its pot for volume control?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello All,

I have never been serious about a Class D Amplifier before.

Today I received a silver PA5, it weighs like a pound of butter.

This will at least temporally take the place of a 30 pound plus Crown amplifier.

Perhaps there will be no need to hide a stack of 3 Crown TRI-Amped amplifiers in the closet.

I also received two Worlds Best Cables made with Mogami cable and Neutrik XLR and TRS ends.

We will see how it does.

Thanks DT

Top Bottom