• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 494 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait for theirs USB4 version :rolleyes:

CinDyment

I don't have issues with $1,200.00 USB cables. I have issues with a society where someone who can afford to buy a $1,200.00 USB cable is able to earn that money in society. I have issue that they are able to vote. But the cable itself? Nah, that's not the problem :)

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I also just remembered this:
In the transducer landscape (speakers, headphones, iems...) we can often see how people prefer something much cheaper/less prestige more than something expensive/totl/hifi/whatever. And usually the notion of this preference is easily accepted and understandable.
I once attended a talk by Klaus of Odyssey Audio at a show. He began by stating that in his opinion, "Transducers are 90% of what we perceive as the 'signature' of a sound system" and "...are where fidelity goes to die." All present nodded in agreement. He then put forward the proposition that "Vinyl sounds better than digital" and again, all present AFAIK (except me) nodded their assent. I don't understand how one can simultaneously hold these two positions. Weren't they aware that phono cartridges are transducers? To say nothing of another transducer, not in your listening room but in your signal chain nonetheless: The lathe used to cut the master disc. This stage of the process probably has the worst problems of all.

If the problems in the transducers are the worst in a system, a premise I accept, then these choices are the most important in putting together an audio system. Are you really going to hear the difference between 110dB and 114dB SINAD in a DAC? Yet it is easy to distinguish between different speakers and phono carts in comparison tests. If they were all perfect they'd all sound the same.

I don't understand the attachment to a technology that literally traces its origins to Thomas Edison. To me, a good digital recording (it actually is possible to create a bad one, usually by bad miking etc) blows away analog. But what do I know...

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My dream audio system has Audioquest power conditioners, PS Audio gear and Nordost cables, the sound must be amazing!

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
My science teacher clearly was not a trained audiophile when he taught us that energy is not transferred via the wire.
Would there be a market for selling audiophile EM fields?
There are some very good recent YouTube experiments and discussions on Poynting vectors and why our understanding of EM fields and energy transmission is problematic. Alas, it leaves open the door for things like my previously suggested Quantum Audiophile of the Gaps (QAG) theories and speculation :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Garrincha

This is insane, from their webpage:

"How can cables be directional?
When cables are manufactured they do not have any directionality. However, as they break in, they acquire directionality.
Although the cable signal is an alternating current, small impurities in the conductor act as diodes allowing signal flow to be better in one direction over time. This effect is also called quantum tunneling, which has been observed in experiments over 25 years ago. Regardless of the purity of the metal used, there are still diode effects in all conductors. In addition, the insulation material will change when it is subjected to an electrical field."

So their cables work with quantum tunneling! That explaines the marvelous sound!

Last edited:

CinDyment

Our society worships money and people are taught from day one that "more money" == "better everything", including people.
Wealthy people are considered better human beings and this is hammered home at every opportunity.

My concern is more how people with such obvious lack of common sense are able able to accumulate such wealth :)

Sputnik

To think this is only their midrange, the Valhalla 2 usb costs 3 times as much. There's salesmen who will first sell you a Tyr 2, and then convince you that you should upgrade...
Screenshot_2022-03-15-16-12-08-870_com.android.chrome.jpg

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I spent $20 on a usb cable I think when I bought a $99 headphone amplifer from them and, as a percentage of cost of the dac, probably a bigger rip off than this is. I spent 20% of the dac cost on my cable. So this could be a better value than my dac manufacturer provides, assuming the customer spends more than $7k on their dac, and values money in this sort of relative cost fashion (many do!).

You can get by with a $2 cable as Amirm shows.

aslan7

Now I don’t feel so guilty about having spent $90 for a USB cable from a certain company in Florida which, by the way, doesn’t fit into the computer port very well.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I think at this stage we all know that cd transports are all the same, and digital cables are all the same, power cords make no difference, power conditioners make no difference, speaker cables make marginal to no difference. Given the choice I would rather your valuable testing time was spent on measuring things worth measuring like speakers, headphones, etc.

I think it's disgusting that snake oil products like this exist, with all the unsubstantiated claims of improvements, and even worse that there are idiots who buy them. But 100 percent those folk are not your audience.
You should understand that these scams are far more serious when they happen in medicine and food supply, right? You do know that known poisons are allowed in the US food supply that are banned in every democratic country on the planet?

Sputnik

I see potential market for Audiophile grade laptop; around $100k.
You're doing it wrong. You would actually have to make, support & sell a laptop and keep it relevant.

What you should be selling are audiophile laptop stands.

Why would you not put your laptop on a stand that drastically improves clarity, timing, bass extension and soundstage, while at the same time eliminating resonances and magnetic interference?

4 years went into the development, and we are proud that we can finally introduce the single greatest upgrade for anyone who's serious about streaming highres audio.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Now I don’t feel so guilty about having spent $90 for a USB cable from a certain company in Florida which, by the way, doesn’t fit into the computer port very well.
See I feel worse for having spent a bigger percentage of the overall value of my system on cables that cost far less.

The proper way to evaluate the strength of your purchase should also involve net worth. So if my $20 cable is more of my net worth than $1400 cable is of the net worth of the person who freely shared it with Amir (and I suspect that it is by several multiples) than I am a bigger fool than he.

The thing I like about the laptop stand is that the angle can be set to allow only the most harmonic sound waves past.

It's nice to lend the cable, but the cable's owner feels like he was DEFRAUDED in some way, it might be nice to set a legal precedent that the components are being sold with claims that are either legal, or not.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The only scenario that I can possibly envision to explain why any rationale person would spend this kind of money on a cable is that they make so much money that $1400 is for them what $20 is for me. Other than that, I just cannot for the life of me understand such things.

Top Bottom