• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 116 37.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.1%

• Total voters

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has this review been shared with Onkyo yet? Any response?

TallDan

Hmm not quite - I have read at least one user review, where he mentioned distortion.... then did a full cold boot reset - and it went away.... sounded to me like he got hit by Nanny mode, and the amps were clipping
Ive had a couple instances where mine did not sound right, and the next day seemed to be OK again. Seems like the nanny mode might explain it. I’ll be more confident in that answer when it happens again and I pull the plug for a minute and try again.

My speakers are old 8ohm B&Ws. (As noted, they’re lower at some frequencies.)

Crohnic

I just got one of these a few weeks ago and it kick ass compared to my old Yamaha. I ran Dirac with my laptop and UMIK-1 microphone and it is much better after calibration. I have a Technics SU-G700 integrated running as my main in power amp for my Monitor Audio Silver 300s so the RZ50 only has to power my Monitor center, surrounds and ceiling atmos speakers. The price was hard to beat for how many channels you are getting along with Dirac. One of the main reasons people really wanted this AVR was the the fact that it was one of the first ones out that did not have the bugged Panasonic chip for handling 4k 120hz or 8k 60z for people to use with their new consoles or RTX 30 series graphics cards.

I thought about waiting the next new models of Denon receivers but was tired of waiting and did not want to spend close to $2k, especially since I would be bypassing the internal amplification on the AVR to my main speakers. I am also considering getting a Mini-DSP down the line to help with the bass management.

I only use it for movies and television. When I'm listening to music I plug my SMSL DAC or Rega Planar 3 turntable into the Technics and then all I have to do is swap the LFE from the Onkyo for the Pre-Outs connected to the Technics and change the crossover presets in my SVS SB-3000 in the app to my Music preset.

I am very pleased with my purchase and have no regrets. I never use Pure or Direct mode either as it always sounds thin and dull compared to my Technics while listening to music and when I'm watching movies I am choosing Dolby or THX surround processing. Hopefully some of the issues you found Amir will get handled in a future update, but we all know how most manufacturers are with updates..

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had a look back at the RZ50 Prepro measurements - seperate from the amp measurements - it falls right into line with the well regarded Denon's ... seems like the Amps really are the main weakness.

Yes, and the new Denon receivers with lower performing DACs may measure a bit different than the currently posted ASR reviews with AKM chips.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
This sets a new price point for an AVR with HDMI 2.1 and Dirac Live. Used with external amps this doesn’t seem like a bad solution, and it is less than half the price of the competitors offering Dirac Live.

dang thats crazy, i returned my 3700 when i got the RZ50 because to me it sounded night and day difference.. Although i am using a monolith 7 chan
This has been an excellent discussion. It has brought up the points I have been thinking about and debating on avrs . I tested a Pioneer lx305 with Dirac and I thought the amp was poor..especially the back channels. I also did not like the the stereo mode on the amp ..stereo had an audible echo. My impression of the Pioneer was a cheap amp with Dirac so I returned it.. figured the upper Rz 50 model line would have been better. Denon makes a a good product but I think Audessy is not so hot...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
This has been an excellent discussion. It has brought up the points I have been thinking about and debating on avrs . I tested a Pioneer lx305 with Dirac and I thought the amp was poor..especially the back channels. I also did not like the the stereo mode on the amp ..stereo had an audible echo. My impression of the Pioneer was a cheap amp with Dirac so I returned it.. figured the upper Rz 50 model line would have been better. Denon makes a a good product but I think Audessy is not so hot...

Yes that is my conclusion too - a cheap amp, with Dirac.... - as long as you also have the proviso - And a good Pre-Pro...

The amp is sufficiently capable IMO for surrounds and heights...

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Just had a look back at the RZ50 Prepro measurements - seperate from the amp measurements - it falls right into line with the well regarded Denon's ... seems like the Amps really are the main weakness.

Yeah. Same on the tx-rz50: that echoy mode for stereo (which is a default) is garbage. Reminds me of the similarly gimmicky Pro Logic II modes.
Maybe Denon/Marantz will give up in Audessy after the 200 dollar windows app??? I almost bought it and thought I need to step.off this and wait for a product that meets the criteria. We should crowd fund our own. There is enough people on here that are industry legends and a couple who wrote the book on sound. Why couldn't we make an avr that plays hig res tracks without downsampling them. We would just have to raise the money for the design and get one if the companies to produce it.

usersky

Forum Donor
There is enough people on here that are industry legends and a couple who wrote the book on sound. Why couldn't we make an avr that plays hig res tracks without downsampling them. We would just have to raise the money for the design and get one if the companies to produce it.
Writing books, being legends or even measuring (nothing wrong with these, on the contrary) are so different than building a working device that appeals people and actually make money. Avr industry is in impossible position where Dolby puts in: there is no time to build a very good device, regardless of the price. By the time you deliver it, it would be obsoleted by the newer Atmos Neurologic III+ requiring minimum 18 channels. Market speaks: people want cheap, full of stickers boxes, listing all this season's fashionable empty acronyms. 300 people like us demanding quality do not make enough market. Besides, this device even with 30w per channel, to me looks good enough for the money. Want more? Buy separate power amps. If thy would have written 30w per channel on the box, for me would be a well done device.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With a fan on top of the heatsinks, I don't know why they are current limiting the thing. If heat is a problem, they could turn that fan on than limiting power so severely. Someone thinks they are doing the company a favor here but it is a puzzle what that is.

BTW, I am only driving two channels here. Who knows how it limits with more channels driven.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I wonder - how hard would it be to surgically remove all the amps from the box and still have it work fine as a pre-pro?

usersky

Forum Donor
I wonder - how hard would it be to surgically remove all the amps from the box and still have it work fine as a pre-pro?
I bet this would trip some checks and you'll get an error message.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
With a fan on top of the heatsinks, I don't know why they are current limiting the thing. If heat is a problem, they could turn that fan on than limiting power so severely. Someone thinks they are doing the company a favor here but it is a puzzle what that is.

BTW, I am only driving two channels here. Who knows how it limits with more channels driven.
I'm going to give it some hard time tomorrow in All Channel Stereo on 5.4.4 speakers - Infinity R263, RC263, R162, all 6 ohm. Will use proper ear protection, of course :cool:

How would I know if the Onkyo is running out of power or the speakers are being pushed too hard? :rolleyes:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I'm going to give it some hard time tomorrow in All Channel Stereo on 5.4.4 speakers - Infinity R263, RC263, R162, all 6 ohm. Will use proper ear protection, of course :cool:

How would I know if the Onkyo is running out of power or the speakers are being pushed too hard? :rolleyes:

It will clip - the sound will go from clear but loud, to really harsh....

Make sure your speakers can handle circa 150W at least - clipping can damage speakers... and a 40W amp at clipping can be nasty

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
It will clip - the sound will go from clear but loud, to really harsh....

Make sure your speakers can handle circa 150W at least - clipping can damage speakers... and a 40W amp at clipping can be nasty
Speakers all handle 150-200W from specs.
Will try full-band pink noise to stress-test output capability of amps + speakers, will be careful not to clip them.

Flak

Industry Insider
Not an expert on this subject but it seems to me that steady-state test signals are not necessarily representative of the amp capabilities with the actual dynamic content of music/movies.
If not investigated yet that would be interesting...

Top Bottom