• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Yes. Dirac is automated. You can do similar work manually with the filters in this box. In addition, you can also route low frequency to subs. Or implement an active speaker system.
Many thanks Amir. Can you please explain how it does room correction without a microphone?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Many thanks Amir. Can you please explain how it does room correction without a microphone?

You need an USB mic like the miniDSP UMIK-1 or UMIK-2 that you plug in your Windows or Mac laptop. Dirac Live and the Flex plugin run in your laptop, same if you want to use REW (Roon Eq Wizard) software.

agiletiger

Edit: it's perhaps worth highlighting that the version of Dirac Live available for the Flex will not optimise subwoofer integration in terms of time delays or crossover filters though. All it will do is smooth the combined response of the main speakers and subwoofer(s), which in itself is of course very useful but not fully optimal.
That's what I'm trying to weigh currently. If money was no object, I'd get the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 which would give me an arguably better RC system that also comes with bass management. The cheapest upgrade I'm looking at is the Flex with Dirac Live and I would use one of my old Class A amps with it. It's a difference of over $1,700.

I'm trying to determine a couple things before I make a decision on what to purchase:
  • Have a concrete and detailed understanding of the gap between the Lyngdorf and the Flex options I outlined above.
  • What options/configurations exist in between the two.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I remember reading about 44.1kz vs 48khz issues for minidsp 2x4. Anyone knows if such issue exists for flex?

AdamG

Don’t let others steal your joy and happiness.
Forum Donor
There is a balanced(TRS) version with additional 75 USD.
@amirm, calling your attention to this minor error in price. As stated by @oversky this is indeed the Balanced TRS version and is $550 USD.
Change the I/O Version in the pull down window.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
This is very interesting. But using a 2nd USB Mic you cannot do time accurate measurements because of clock drift between the two devices. I'd like to have professional interface features where I could direct the source clock to be a digital device. Would also be nice if it would accept ADAT input instead of only SPDIF.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amazing price/peformance ratio! These guys at MiniDSP are rocking it and continually raising their bar. For a DIY speaker enthusiast, this is the bomb.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
AVM-90-rear.png

To me, this is an AVR processor. Having a hard time thinking of the Flex as equivalent.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's not forget this is four channels of Dirac (optional), xlr or rca, 2 x 4 electronic crossover, and peq, AND they have promised an all digital version (usb in, spdif out), so if there's an issue with IMD, just wait. A clear hole in one.

JeremyFife

Hi, apologies if this is obvious - I'm new to this sort of tech (I'm a straightforward stereo audio guy). Would this work as a pre-amp, allowing me to route the turntable (analogue in) and streamer (digital into the DAC) and output to a power amp, and to add Room EQ or Speaker EQ? Is there a better way of doing that (for the money)? Cheers

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Excellent device but why so small? I can’t imagine it staying in place when most connectors are plugged in.
As mentioned elsewhere, this is not actually a problem at all, and I have the balanced version of the Flex with TRS cables.

Let's not forget this is four channels of Dirac (optional), xlr or rca, 2 x 4 electronic crossover, and peq, AND they have promised an all digital version (usb in, spdif out), so if there's an issue with IMD, just wait. A clear hole in one.
It's TWO channels of Dirac with 4 output channels. The Dirac is implemented before the output routing matrix in the Flex.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to see a US company make a Dirac capable two/four channel Preamp/DAC for less than $900 with these features. Has anyone tried to use the Balanced Flex with an external DAC? Is there a benefit? Or is it a waste of cables? :D

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I hope this review drives more folks to try MiniDSP.
Been using them for a few years now.
I can't speak more highly of the products I have used.
For someone considering this product, as long as you know what the unit is able to do, the lack of a return policy is irrelevant.
You won't return it.

Integration with REW has always been flawless.
The UI is basically good.
The positive effect effect on SQ and overall system performance clear as a bell.

For newer users let me tell you what I use the units for.
I do not use Dirac.
Use case 1, I use the units for full control of the HP and LP crossover regions between main monitors and multiple subs.
Unlike typical bass management this allows one to overlap-underlap crossover values which is huge.
You can create separate DSP value for every speaker/sub unit. You can overlap DSP values in two layers.
You can create brick wall filters that may be of use for some.
Then I implement manual/REW assisted room correction below 200hrz(sometimes with some correction between 200-400hrz)
I love the manual abilities, I know some will prefer a more automated system but I don't.
I basically follow Floyd Toole's recommendations which unfortunately are spread out through his book and internet forum posts and similar places.

Use case 2, (for which I hope MiniDSP upgrades the 4x10hd to a unit like this)
I make two way active speakers, with a myriad of controls to seamlessly design the speaker.
Because I am using the version with more outputs than this model, I can add multiple subs actively to my DIY active speakers very easily.
The flex would require additional units.
And of course I implement all of the above.

Anyway,
For the typical user mating this unit to two mains and say two subs. Give it a shot. I bet you will love it once you get the hang of it and the hang of choosing how to HP/LP well and choosing how best to correct for the room without ruining the sound.

Again for newer users.
I follow Toole's advice and never use room correction above the transition frequency range. (PEQ based on correcting the speakers anechoic response is good though)Following the idea that hammering the measured "room energy" into a room curve is not a hifidelity move and is counter to all the science of the Spinorama and what needs to be correct for the sound to be convincing in a real room.
Obviously you will have to decide for yourself and will likely be tempted to "correct or calibrate" everything, Toole's reasoning is quite sound IMHO. Don't do it without reading his(and others) takes.

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Hi, apologies if this is obvious - I'm new to this sort of tech (I'm a straightforward stereo audio guy). Would this work as a pre-amp, allowing me to route the turntable (analogue in) and streamer (digital into the DAC) and output to a power amp, and to add Room EQ or Speaker EQ? Is there a better way of doing that (for the money)? Cheers
Yes, this is basically a pre-amp with 1 analog input and 4 digital inputs (Bluetooth, USB, TOS, & Coax), plus Dirac room correction if you add it, and fully customizable DSP and crossovers on every output channel.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There are cheaper options but they won’t have this level of performance and ease of use. A 2X4HD / DDRC24 will do it but analog performance is much worse and you have no display. You can do it with a MOTU M4 and a RPi4 running CamillaDSP but you won’t have the option to use Dirac and by the time you add an enclosure, display and IR receiver you are at a similar cost.

Michael

aschen

I feel like buckets of 2x4hds will be in the classifieds and ebay in the coming months. This sort of solves the fact that HD is good enough practically but marginal psychologically for hifi use.

I have been very pleased with my SHD, I think this would do the same for me for less since I don't use the streaming, but appreciate the flexibilty of the IO on the full sized unit. Its nice to have mixed rca/xlr, but its a huge price and space premium for that if you don't need it.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
So, it sound like there is really no downside to upgrading to the TRS version ($75US) and using a TRS (balanced) to RCA (single ended) adapter on the input and output side of this processor? In that case it seems like the TRS version would be the best route for people wanting to 'future proof' their purchase if they only have single ended components now but might upgrade to 'balanced' components in the future. If I'm misunderstanding something here please correct me. Thanks!
I completely agree with this opinion. I have the balanced version of the Flex, and I tested TRS > RCA adapters on the analog I/O and it worked great on both. You can adjust the levels of each channel, so balancing stuff out is easy.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Dirac is automated. You can do similar work manually with the filters in this box. In addition, you can also route low frequency to subs. Or implement an active speaker system.
I see this as a replacement for my vintage Yamaha digital PEQ. I can use it in the processor loop of s preamp, but I can also put my preamp in passive mode, put this unit between the preamp and the amp, and manage not only room EQ but also potential crossover duties for a couple of added subs. My current preamp becomes an input switch for all my old analog stuff and a phono preamp, and this unit becomes the EQ and volume control.

And I can channel a couple of digital sources directly to it, if I want.

Do I have that right?

Rick “trying to visualize it” Denney

Top Bottom