• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

Sengin

Does the LP-6 V2 have auto shut off? I saw a few discussions about it for the V1, but Kali in this thread said they try to stay away from it. I don't see anything about it in the manual available on their site. It's something I'm looking for - I switch between headphones and speakers often and I don't want to have to stand up, walk behind my desk, and flip a switch for each monitor each time. But I also don't want to waste electricity by leaving them on all day every day. It's something the Fluid FX80 has (auto shutoff in 10 minutes) with a draw of only 0.25 watt hours during idle (IIRC...).

I saw that Amir had reviewed the V1s and Erin the V2s, but don't see an EQ curve for the V2 here: https://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/tree/master/datas/eq. Looks like there's a python script to auto-generate it based on measurements from either person - does anyone know how it is run so I could generate it? Or must it be done by the owner of the git repo?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

3125b

Major Contributor
but Kali in this thread said they try to stay away from it.
I read that as a no. With the v1 there are many complaints that the standby doesn‘t work properly, so I think this time they just decided to forgo it. That was one of the reasons I ended up with Focal btw, the auto stand-by on those works fine.
If you have to have the Kali, and they are good value for sure, you could get remote controlled outlet adapters for them.

Sengin

I read that as a no. With the v1 there are many complaints that the standby doesn‘t work properly, so I think this time they just decided to forgo it. That was one of the reasons I ended up with Focal btw, the auto stand-by on those works fine.
If you have to have the Kali, and they are good value for sure, you could get remote controlled outlet adapters for them.
That is my assumption as well :). I did send them an email though just for the confirmation.

Which Focal did you end up with? I'm not dead set on the Kalis - they just seemed like the best value for the money until you want to/can spend a grand or so on a pair.

As for the remote controlled adapters, that's not a bad idea...

3125b

Major Contributor
Which Focal did you end up with?
Alpha 65 Evo.
I‘m happy with them, much lower self noise than anticipated (way more than 1dB difference to the 1st gen Alpha as S&R suggests).
No sign of the excessive tweeter distortion Amir found either, and since other reviews don‘t confirm that I‘m convinced that was just a defective unit.
Others I know have also experienced similar issues with Focal, their quality control doesn‘t seem too stringent, I got lucky with both these speakers and the near infamous Elear headphones it seems.
I‘ll be using them in my living room in the future and they are one of the more practical active options with the standby and threaded inserts to mount them to a wall. The good looks for a studio monitor help as well.

I also considered both the LP-6 v2 and the IN-8 v2.
The LP-6 are smaller but you pay just a little bit with bass extension there, apart from that they seem really good and offer great value at 219€ right now.
The IN-8 have the same footprint as the Alpha 65 but are higher. They are 3-ways and I wish I could have auditioned them somewhere irl. In the youtube sound demos the on-axis dip in the highs is very noticeable unfortunately, they would require EQ or an off-axis listening position for me to enjoy them. The potential advantages of them being 3-way don‘t translate in that format and if you can use EQ in your setup they might be a great option.

Last edited:

Sengin

Thanks for the perspective! Self noise level is a concern I have with the FX80s as well, and I can't find much on it (other than random people complaining about it, but with no idea of how they set it up, how far away the hiss disappears, etc).

And yep, these would be connected to my PC so I'd be using EqualizerAPO with Peace (and a handy keyboard shortcut to switch between EQ profiles for my headphones and speakers). Just to clarify, the "they" in "if you can use EQ in your setup they might be a great option" means the Alpha 65 Evos?

3125b

Major Contributor
(other than random people complaining about it, but with no idea of how they set it up, how far away the hiss disappears, etc).
It‘s difficult to quantify by measurement for home users. And different people might be more or less bothered by it depending on listening distance, environment, hearing ability, use case etc.
Generally using the lowest input sensitivity setting seems the way to go, higher sensitivity usually raises the noise floor.
I‘ve had both the first and second gen Focal Alpha in my room and can tell that while I can hear the first gen very clearly at 1-1.5m away, the second gen is not audible at more than 50cm with both at low sensitivity. The Mackie MR524 falls in between the two. Take that for what it‘s worth I guess, unfortunately I have no first-hand experience with Kali at all.
If you find multiple complaints about a specific speaker though, then there is probably merit to them, the JBL LSR or first gen Kalis for example have that reputation.
Just to clarify, the "they" in "if you can use EQ in your setup they might be a great option" means the Alpha 65 Evos?
I meant the IN-8 v2 and the ability to correct that high frequency dip.
The 65 Evo don‘t have the flattest FR but there are no bothersome issues to my ears that require correction.

If you can EQ (and live without standby or wall mount) the IN-8 might be the better choice due to the advantages of their 3-way coaxial design. Used as true studio monitors (wich is not my intention hence different weighting of factors) they seem like a very good choice at their approximate price point. They are 780€/pair over here wich is more than budget 6.5-8“ monitors but much less than higher end ones like Neumann or Genelec.

Filio45

Regardig the auto-standby discussion: It's good ethically and financially not to waste energy but I measured the IN-8's to idle at just 5.2 watts each, and I doubt the two-way Kali's and Focal Alpha Evo's consume more than 3-4 watts each? That's less than most energy saving light bulbs!

Remembering to turn them off at night isn't a burden (for me at least), and I really don't see too much of an issue with leaving them on for several hours a day. Or even 24/7 if you wish.

My older JBL LSR 6328p's idle at about 25 watts each, so for them, yes, the lack of auto-standby is missed a little,

So with modern monitors with class d amps and smps, the absence of auto-standby is of little concern, except for the few who are 'off grid'. They are already 'green' without it.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Focal Alpha Evo's consume more than 3-4 watts each?
Focal Alpha Evo power consumption in stand-by is <0.5W.
These modern monitors with SMPS and Class-D amps have very low idle and stand-by power consumption indeed.
Unfortunately my energy meter just died, when I get a new one I will measure the idle (monitors on but not playing content) and normal listening level power consumption.

Amplifier efficiency is about 90% for Class-D and 60% for AB.
SMPS efficiency is 70-90% depending on construction and load level, linear power supply efficiency is ... idk exactly, but terrible, especially low load. I asked a friend of mine to measure the power consumption of his Rotel 991, he didn't do that yet, but I'm convinced it will draw about 50W in idle.

Filio45

Unfortunately my energy meter just died, when I get a new one I will measure the idle
I actually did measure the Evo 65's when I had them on audition here and they were 3-4 watts or so at idle . My kill a watt meter is quite old and hopefully still accurate :)

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm not so sure how accurate my meter is in these low current situations (yours might be a little more accurate), it shows 11.5W for the pair of speakers in idle (switched on, no input signal) and barely more at 11.7W for low level music listening. Power factor is 0.39 wich is not unexpected for an unloaded SMPS although they would have to have active PFC since they are rated at 110W and full range capable. I'm overthinking this ...
In stand-by (red LED) it doesn't read anything, so the <0.5W spec is accurate.

I also measured the first gen Alpha 65, those have Class-AB amps, they draw 27W/pair in idle (switched on, no input signal), PF is 0.68 wich would fit both a linar and a partially loaded SMPS.

Sengin

I got a response from Kali:
The stand-by function has indeed been removed and is not in plans for making a come back yet. I personally liked that function but most of our audiences did not =\ The amps they have though, allow you to just leave them on indefinitely. I only turn my pair off when leaving town for some days. We did the math for US and its about 50 cents a month to the electricity bill.
Kali LP-6 (EU/220VAC/50Hz): 7.6W
Kali LP-6 (US/220VAC/60Hz): 6.3W

So yes, definitely no auto standby for the V2s. But also a confirmation on power draw.

Hydrav

I might have made a mistake in my previous post. I got curious and tried to google the power consumption of the LP6v2s and stumbled upon this thread. One guy states that Kali did actually add a low power standby mode to the European version of the previous gen LP6 as apparently it's required by law. They're complaining about the standby mode having a too high threshold.

However, I bought my Kali LP6v2s in Europe and have never noticed a standby mode? I've got them on pretty much 24/7 and the blue light is always on. They're hooked up to a Topping EX5, don't know if that makes a difference...

EDIT: Oh, just noticed the post by Sengin. So I guess standby mode is not a requirement in Europe after all.

Why not just add a standby function which you can switch on or off? My SVS subwoofer has an "always on" mode you can switch to if you don't like having it in standby.

Perhaps Kali have decided it would be too complicated and/or add too much to the cost.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Perhaps Kali have decided it would be too complicated and/or add too much to the cost.
Maybe. But I think it wasn't a very good decision from Kali to just give up after it didn't work super well on the first gen speakers.

The first gen of the Focal Alpha has a standby mode that works reasonably well but needs quite a high level signal to reliably turn on.
But they improved it, so on my 2nd gen Focals it works surprisingly well now. They don't turn off even with very low volume and reliably turn on after stand-by with relatively low volume as well while reliably staying off with no input signal. Haven't had a single issue with it so far.

I'm sure Kali can figure that out as well given the time, it's certainly possible to implement in budget friendly monitors. Afaik they're a small buisness with something like 20 employees, so working on too many things at once may just be too much.

Hydrav

Hah, that's a setup I am strongly considering. How do you like it?

I'm an amateur and don't know much audio theory, so can only give you my subjective impression. Excuse my lack of, or wrong choice of, terminology.

I love the setup, much much better than my previous setup which consisted of JDS The Element and Edifier S1000DB. It's just a joy to use.

The JDS The Element had clear channel imbalance at lower volume which was very annoying, but the EX5 with it's digital volume control doesn't. Although people at the time were applauding the build quality of The Element, I actually prefer the build quality of the EX5. It's also much nicer having the power adapter built into the DAC/AMP instead of an outside power brick. The ability to adjust volume, mute and switch between headphones and speakers with the remote is great. And getting a display is just awesome, it just makes the Element seem like old tech. Don't get me wrong, the Element served me well, but looking back I think it's overpriced. Considering what's out there I would never get an Element 2. IMO JDS needs to up their game. And they're crazy expensive in Europe now.

People were complaining about the EX5 getting hot. I never found it to be an issue, mine gets pleasantly warm and I have never been worried it would overheat.

I had a few minor gripes with the EX5 though, and wrote about them in the EX5 thread. The volume knob is smooth, so it's slightly slippery when you turn it. Would be nicer if it had a more grippy surface. Also the knob is pretty big in diameter so unless you have it elevated, you can't get a proper grip underneath it with your fingers because the table surface is in the way. I think a narrow volume knob like in the RME ADI-2 FS would be better. Finally I find that you have to point the remote straight at the DAC/AMP for it to register, I would prefer if it was much more lenient (like I could point the remote straight up and it would still register the input).

About the speakers, I'm overall happy with them. At first I had the speakers placed low, close to my table and was a bit underwhelmed by the sound. But then I got some proper stands, lifted them up so the tweeter was at ear height and it helped tremendously, it sounded much less muffled. I also put some more distance between the speakers which helped with the imaging. I don't remember the exact numbers but Kali actually recommends significant more distance between their LP line of speakers than their IN line of speakers. So I guess one should consider the IN line of speakers if they want to place the speakers close together.

One thing I noticed is that with the Edifiers I would always be aware of which speaker the sound was coming from. If I leaned one way I was clearly aware that the sound was coming from one speaker, leaned the other way I noticed it from the other. It was annoying. But with these Kalis I don't notice such localization. Don't get me wrong, the stereo imaging is great, but when I lean to the left it's not like the sound shifts and is suddenly clearly coming from a pin point location in the left speaker.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with the bass response, it seemed to me the Edifiers had more. But I think perhaps the Edifiers just had a boosted low frequency response, and I had gotten used to it? Also the Kalis actually have a rear dip switch where you can boost the low frequency with +2db if you want, and I haven't played with that yet. Everyone else is saying the low frequency response is great, so I'm probably wrong. I think on paper the LP6s should have more low frequency output.

Finally I find the LP6s are a bit too big for my desk. In the future I think I'll aim to get some smaller speakers. Furthermore, while looks are subjective, I don't think they're that pretty compared to something like say the KEF LF50 Meta. It doesn't matter too much to me though, I'm more about function and they're not hideous. They look like a serious, professional piece of kit.

Sengin

The ability to adjust volume, mute and switch between headphones and speakers with the remote is great.
Ah, this is actually the one thing keeping me from jumping into it - I am such a sucker for satisfying physical knobs/switches with tactile feedback. I currently have a SMSL SP200 that I'll need to replace (has no preout) and those switches feel so good - I need to decide if it's worth it or if I can live with needing to do everything with the remote. Do you know if you double-tap the volume knob if it'll switch inputs like on the DX3 Pro? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but it would be convenient. If the EX5 had clunky switches it would be an instabuy. But because it doesn't I'm leaning towards the SMSL HO200 or even the Topping A90 since I already have a DAC... But anyway, I've derailed this thread enough :) Thanks for your detailed thoughts!

David_M

Hey ... Need some help deciding between LP6v2 and LP8v2...

1. Which speaker provides the best (and more balanced) SQ in the bass, midrange, and high frequencies?
2. I see the FR response curves from Erin's review and the LP8 is messier in the midrange than the LP6, so is the LP6 better in this regard?
3. How is the low end of the LP6v2 compared to the LP8v2? Are both speakers identical audibly or does the 2Hz difference in F3 make an audible difference?

Thanks!

Top Bottom