• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

Rick63

LP-6 V2 is now showing in stock at Sweetwater (only in white at this time):

And the LP-8 V2:

On a side note, I wonder why Kali makes the LP-6/IN-5 in both black and white and the LP-8/IN-8 only in black?

Last edited:

sand_bit

The cabinet resonance is slightly concerning. @hardisj would you consider it bothersome? I wonder if this was present on the LP-6/8 v1, but was not obvious due to less amp energy. @KaliAudio_Official is there less internal bracing for the LP series compared to the IN series?

Sensation

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20211130_065606259.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20211130_065606259.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 195

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In the comment section of the above YT video, both Erin and the good folks at Kali themselves seem to agree that the IN-5 is the substantially better speaker overall. Vertical dispersion is far cleaner, you can get very close without things falling apart (both a result of the coax), and midrange 3rd-order distortion of the LP woofer is a bit concerning as well (it may indicate fairly high IMD levels, which does not bode too well for a 2-way, but I mean what kind of driver quality are you expecting at the price).

Sensation

thanks for the reply ^^

I am using in-5.
In the comment section of the above YT video, both Erin and the good folks at Kali themselves seem to agree that the IN-5 is the substantially better speaker overall. Vertical dispersion is far cleaner, you can get very close without things falling apart (both a result of the coax), and midrange 3rd-order distortion of the LP woofer is a bit concerning as well (it may indicate fairly high IMD levels, which does not bode too well for a 2-way, but I mean what kind of driver quality are you expecting at the price).

thanks for the reply ^^

I am using in-5.

The picture above is my desk picture.

EdTice

I believe this upcoming video confirms that Kali is about to release 2nd generation of their LP-series studio monitors.

Here's spinorama for LP-6 (measured by Amir) and LP-8 (measured by Audioholics):
CEA2034.jpg

CEA2034.jpg

I'm glad to see Kali improving on this design, since they are very affordable studio monitors.

Update 1: They are now officially released. See post #5,6.
Update 2: Erin posted his LP-6v2 review on his website.
Update 3: Erin posted his LP-8v2 review on his website.
Update 4: All 4 speakers compared in size: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Kali-LP6v2-vs-Kali-LP8v2-vs-Kali-IN5-vs-Kali-IN8v2/1636349417879
Update 5: Lp-6v2 and IN-5 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-959369 and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-960518

Update 6: LP-6v2 and LP-8v2 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-975327
Update 7: LP-8v2 and IN-8v2 compared https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ve-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-975340

Discuss!

Sweetwater has these in stock and claims they can arrive by Christmas!

I hope my plans for these work out well and my wife is much happier. We have a pair of really awful PA speakers that I got convinced to buy for our "karaoke nights" but that's really a bad choice of terms since everybody who comes here is a fairly accomplished singer (as in live stage performance experience) and studio monitors are more appropriate for us. My plan is to enable the "Virtual Cinema" or "front surround" feature in an older Yamaha AVR and then run the pre-outs for that to my mixing board and then out to the LP6-v2s. At one point I had the life scared out of me with regards to using HiFi speakers for karaoke but my situation here doesn't quite count as a traditional karaoke night since alcohol consumption is moderate and nobody is going to drop the microphone or bang it with their hand or vomit on the speakers.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Kali's will be a significant sonic quality upgrade to most PA speakers, so go ahead.
I would recommend IN-5 and IN-8v2, since their vertical dispersion is much better suited for a larger audience, where not everyone is sitting in the narrow vertical sweetspot (like you need to be if you get LP-6v2 and LP-8v2).

Longshan

And the LP-8 V2:

On a side note, I wonder why Kali makes the LP-6/IN-5 in both black and white and the LP-8/IN-8 only in black?
They also come in white, or at least they did at one time.

Longshan

I use the speaker by sticking it to the wall.

Is it correct to set it like this?

It is difficult to distinguish the white and black setting seen on the printing.
If it is on a table and against a wall, yes.

Longshan

And the LP-8 V2:

EdTice

Kali's will be a significant sonic quality upgrade to most PA speakers, so go ahead.
I would recommend IN-5 and IN-8v2, since their vertical dispersion is much better suited for a larger audience, where not everyone is sitting in the narrow vertical sweetspot (like you need to be if you get LP-6v2 and LP-8v2).

My space is 12ft across by 16ft deep with two rows of seating (although I could get rid of the second-rate coffee table for a third row of seating if I wanted to do so). I don't think that quite qualifies as a larger audience!

The IN-8v2s would be nice because they can be places horizontally which would be more convenient in terms of finding a good spot for them

The distance from the speaker to the last-row head position is only eleven feet.

I have no idea why the speakers refer to a listening distance of 0.5m to 2.5m. I get that their purpose is nearfield monitoring. Whoever is signing gets the front row and will be right in the sweet spot. If the back row is slightly out of range, they will have to tolerate it.

Of course if the reasons is simply because that's the distance at which you can enjoy the 115dB max SPL, well, I tend to listen at -30dB so I'll be glad to have that back row seat!

It looks like it will take $20 worth of Ikea furniture to make sure the tweeters are at just the right height!

frankh

Eagerly waiting to receive my LP-6 2nd Wave tomorrow and will calibrate them with Sonarworks ID Reference :)

3125b

Major Contributor
Size comparison to some other monitors: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...vo-vs-Adam-T8V-vs-RCF-Arya-Pro8/1640381150193

I'm currently looking for bigger monitors. Just how big I don't really know, but certainly no larger in footprint than the massive Focal Alpha 80. Height isn't too much of a concern as long as it's not a floorstander in disguise :)

I've done anything but the actually sensible thing auditioning them because my local retailer closed down ... and haven't really come to any conclusions. So now I'm just looking for opinions.
Is the IN-8 v2 worth the extra cost and size over the LP-6 v2 subjectively?
And how high is the self noise now, do you have any measurements (preferably comparable to S&R)? They measured the Alpha 65 @25dB and that would really be the maximum I could tolerate, but that seems to vary wildly from person to person.

Thanks.

Size comparison to some other monitors: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...vo-vs-Adam-T8V-vs-RCF-Arya-Pro8/1640381150193

I'm currently looking for bigger monitors. Just how big I don't really know, but certainly no larger in footprint than the massive Focal Alpha 80. Height isn't too much of a concern as long as it's not a floorstander in disguise :)

I've done anything but the actually sensible thing auditioning them because my local retailer closed down ... and haven't really come to any conclusions. So now I'm just looking for opinions.
Is the IN-8 v2 worth the extra cost and size over the LP-6 v2 subjectively?
And how high is the self noise now, do you have any measurements (preferably comparable to S&R)? They measured the Alpha 65 @25dB and that would really be the maximum I could tolerate, but that seems to vary wildly from person to person.

Thanks.

On paper, I would say yes. It's just in a different class.

2 way traditional vs 3 way coaxial design. The fact that it's 3 way to begin with is an upgrade in itself. Having that additional drivers takes the load off so they all play in their optimal frequency range and aren't stressed out. An 8" woofer won't be able to compete with a real subwoofer, but you would have two "subs" at ear level like this, not mono that has to sit on the floor.

egeesman

I just received my pair, there is a strange bristling/tiny crackling noise in certain frequencies, around 40-100hz, but it seems intermittent or dependent on multiple notes of a sine wave being played. I tried everything, different power, cables, isolating the speakers from any surface etc... I wan't to make sure its not user error before I need to return them and be without monitors for a week as I have a mixing job that needs to be completed this week.

Example recorded with a condenser next to the woofer: https://voca.ro/1jRQmZFOIxIB

Last edited:

cata02

I just received my pair, there is a strange bristling/tiny crackling noise in certain frequencies, around 40-100hz, but it seems intermittent or dependent on multiple notes of a sine wave being played. I tried everything, different power, cables, isolating the speakers from any surface etc... I wan't to make sure its not user error before I need to return them and be without monitors for a week as I have a mixing job that needs to be completed this week.

Example recorded with a condenser next to the woofer: https://voca.ro/1jRQmZFOIxIB
Which model did u get?

Top Bottom