• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 646 94.3%

• Total voters

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Not related to 8361 but since this is an active thread... -> Genelec Certified Pre-Owned™ Loudspeakers are coming soon. Factory serviced and warrantied, for total peace of mind.

Lately a lot of posts here are not related to the 8361. Yours is at least related to Genelec

73hadd

Forum Donor
Can someone extrapolate the 86db and 96db THD percentage from the existing data? I was trying to compare apples-to-apples to the JBL 708P graphs for reference.

Thanks!

Update - took a wild guess at this myself, based on a ratio found online that 1db is 1:1.26. Genelec 8361a operating manual says at 95db:
50-100hz < 3%
>100hz <.5%

Conversion to 96db (if it were linear):
50-100hz < 3.78%
>100hz <.63%

J708pG8361a.png

Is this fair?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Is there a downside to placing them 20cm above the floor pointing upwards instead of wall mounting, pointing downwards? Vertical isn't possible, sadly.

Reactions: CMB

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a downside to placing them 20cm above the floor pointing upwards instead of wall mounting, pointing downwards? Vertical isn't possible, sadly.
You have more boundary interaction just 20cm from the floor, but you can deal with it with EQ. Only concern if the angle of incidence of on axis sound is too far off from your head angle.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
You have more boundary interaction just 20cm from the floor, but you can deal with it with EQ. Only concern if the angle of incidence of on axis sound is too far off from your head angle.

I guess that would be the same as the desk setup, then. I thought maybe the first reflection behind me could be a problem since coming from the top it will rather be absorbed by soft bodies (listener, sofa, stuff) whereas coming from the bottom it will hit mainly walls and ceilings. Even after treating them, the absorption qualities are most likely worse.

Am I overthinking this?

herculepirate

I do have the 8260a and have never looked back.
The only complaint is that the interface to each speaker in the Genelec chain is wired. I am sure making a wireless chain in fairly easy in this day and age.
But absolutely second the review in terms of its power and ease of delivery.
I am going in for a Genelec sub next

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I do have the 8260a and have never looked back.
The only complaint is that the interface to each speaker in the Genelec chain is wired. I am sure making a wireless chain in fairly easy in this day and age.
But absolutely second the review in terms of its power and ease of delivery.
I am going in for a Genelec sub next
How much better is 8361A than 8260a?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I am sure making a wireless chain in fairly easy in this day and age.

Wireless in genuine “studio” monitors is problematic to implement due to delay.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is this fair?
Eh, no. The 50dB SPL line here is at 0.5% THD for 96dB SPL. For 86dB, it's about 1.5%. Besides that, 1dB difference is marginal at best, and if Amir's distortion tests are accurate (which I have to assume they are) then they are below 1% distortion at 96dB until you're below 100hz.

index.php

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wireless in genuine “studio” monitors is problematic to implement due to delay.

True but I wish there was a wireless option(in addition to, not removing the ethernet ports) for the GLM link, which doesn't pass audio so latency doesn't really matter. I don't think you can even use regular WiFI->ethernet adapters, since GLM uses a proprietary protocol.

Top Bottom