• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Then the NODE should work for you!!

napuli

I had the Node fo almost a year now. Tidal connect works great and this was my main reason fo buying. I also can not tell difference between internal vs external DAC via optical out. Pretty happy user except I wish USB out worked. Bluesound said update coming before 2022. We will see

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I had the Node fo almost a year now. Tidal connect works great and this was my main reason fo buying. I also can not tell difference between internal vs external DAC via optical out. Pretty happy user except I wish USB out worked. Bluesound said update coming before 2022. We will see
The NODE (N130) was released in July this year so most likely 6 to 7 months with it, not 1 year ;)

Well, sorry I pointed you toward this thing. It clearly doesn't do what it's advertised to do. Sad!
no worries, you couldn't have known that.

This WiiM is just an interim solution for me as my Airport Express is on its last leg and my active speakers set is quite old now (but still going strong). Overall, I'm saving for a pair of KEF Wireless LS50 II since a while anyways. :)

Golfx

Forum Donor
I gave up on wireless streaming after years of HEOS via Denon AVRs and Bluos via NAD. There were always tradeoffs and hiccups. I then bought a Roon Nucleus. I solved the “must” be connected by ethernet issue by buying an AirMesh router and placing the node near my Hometheater rack. The roon community is robust and has a loyal informative forum. The nucleus can also find/use all your current downloaded music and use new Tidal and Qobuz hi-res as well.

LuvTheMusic

This entire discussion shows how Bluesound has found a market niche -- and why it would be great for them to have some competition!

The Node series (the old 2, 2i, now just Node) fill a gap: a single, simple product that provides out-of-the-box streaming, with native support for a large number of services and decent, supported software with easy remote control (the BluOS app). The DAC is "good enough" for most people; for the fussier, coax and optical outputs and USB coming soon (we hope) to run to a better DAC.

Alternatives? Well, the discussion above mentioned a few but there are "gotchas". There's the Raspberry Pi solution, but you have to figure out how to put it together, you have to pay extra for subscription that reportedly is not all that great, and it's unclear what the remote control option is. (I suppose there is one, but I've never heard it described.) Seasoned computer hobbyists may have no trouble with any of this, but how many others want to try it?

So the competition needed is a "raw" streamer, basically a Node minus the DAC, analog outputs and controls, and subwoofer out -- just the streamer part with digital out. That would knock a significant chunk off the price. Come on, Bluesound -- or someone else.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Bluesound copied Sonos (who successfully sued them for royalties), so they have plenty of competition. Sonos now does “Hi-Res”, up to 24/48, which is surely enough, and supports virtually all streaming services

Golfx

Forum Donor
This entire discussion shows how Bluesound has found a market niche -- and why it would be great for them to have some competition!

The Node series (the old 2, 2i, now just Node) fill a gap: a single, simple product that provides out-of-the-box streaming, with native support for a large number of services and decent, supported software with easy remote control (the BluOS app). The DAC is "good enough" for most people; for the fussier, coax and optical outputs and USB coming soon (we hope) to run to a better DAC.

Alternatives? Well, the discussion above mentioned a few but there are "gotchas". There's the Raspberry Pi solution, but you have to figure out how to put it together, you have to pay extra for subscription that reportedly is not all that great, and it's unclear what the remote control option is. (I suppose there is one, but I've never heard it described.) Seasoned computer hobbyists may have no trouble with any of this, but how many others want to try it?

So the competition needed is a "raw" streamer, basically a Node minus the DAC, analog outputs and controls, and subwoofer out -- just the streamer part with digital out. That would knock a significant chunk off the price. Come on, Bluesound -- or someone else.
Denon’s HEOS link 2 does this for around $350.00 and has a subwoofer out. Can view at Crutchfield.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Allo Digital with Piano 2.1 DAC

Snoopy

Major Contributor

If they only added XLR out and a better DAC.

Or like you said.. remove the DAC and sell it cheaper.

[...]
Anyways, I've wrote them asking what's up with that Tidal "Connect", why it doesn't work. Who knows, maybe I am really doing something wrong.
[...]
got feedback from WiiM that "it's a known issue" that they are working to fixing it in the next firmware update. Let's wait then...

Frank Sol

On the USB Output : There's speculation it is a Hardware problem with the Node (3) N130 , not firmware.

Update: Bluesound Product Support responds to inquires by sidestepping the hardware speculation. Avoiding it altogether. Their updated response was just wait and stay tuned

Not good for us waiting on the USB Output firmware

ivayvr

Not really related but someone may have the answer: Lately I was unable to close or resize my windows based controller on my PC. For some reason the size of the window is greater than the viewable area of the monitor and you can't see or reach the resize or close functions on the top right hand side. You have to use the "close window" function on a task bar to close the controller.
The other issue is that when I try to access the Blusound forum I receive the warning "Potentially malicious software ..."on both Firefox and Chrome. Any idea what that may be?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The other issue is that when I try to access the Blusound forum I receive the warning "Potentially malicious software ..."on both Firefox and Chrome. Any idea what that may be?
Expired/ invalid certificate?

PuX

There's the Raspberry Pi solution, but you have to figure out how to put it together, you have to pay extra for subscription that reportedly is not all that great, and it's unclear what the remote control option is. (I suppose there is one, but I've never heard it described.) Seasoned computer hobbyists may have no trouble with any of this, but how many others want to try it?
What do you mean by subscription?
Volumio is one of the popular solutions for Raspberry Pi, it's basically an operating system based on Linux, it's open source (read free for our purposes).
All you need to do it flash it on a micro SD card. Then plug it in the Raspberry, plug in a phone charge for power and the DAC and next you just need to change the network/password and add your music server (NAS) if you are using one.
Unless your time is very expensive, I would encourage people to experiment with it, especially when Raspberry Pi is very cheap. It will take you maybe an hour + leave it to scan your music server overnight. Right now there is a shortage so it might be not as cheap as usually, but still nowhere near the price of Bluesound Node or alternatives.

it's probably not as polished, but it's actively developed and USB is supported :)

Top Bottom