• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other issue is that when I try to access the Blusound forum I receive the warning "Potentially malicious software ..."on both Firefox and Chrome. Any idea what that may be?
That issue happens when you use the old forum. My guess is the nerds at BS don't want the history of their promises to upgrade, fix or add features in a forum format where all the posts on a single topic are amalgamated. Example, people have been asking for years for the feature to play a song and auto delete it from the play-que it when it's over, to no avail. They would prefer that every post be new topic in the current format https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200546948-General-Discussions. IMO They don't seem to like interaction among users that exposes bugs, complaints and workarounds.
That said, next to Roon it is only really contiually curated and diverse user interface and in the link above there is a lot of good and helpful information.

ivayvr

I was not even aware that there is a new format. So is accessing the old forum risky or it is only a matter of expired certificate?
Thank you for posting the link!

Frank Sol

My guess is the nerds at BS don't want the history of their promises to upgrade, fix or add features in a forum format where all the posts on a single topic are amalgamated.

:)

Or... they will close the thread with 'No more comments'

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not even aware that there is a new format. So is accessing the old forum risky or it is only a matter of expired certificate?
Thank you for posting the link!
Have not been to the old one in long time because a year ago nobody was posting there. When I did I just ignored the warnings with no consequence.

ivayvr

Thanks guys! The only issue remaining is the screen size. It is no big deal since I also have the app on the phone but like better using my PC.

PuX

he means you need the Volumio subscription to get Tidal Connect
I see, the newer integrations are indeed not free. And maybe even plugins, last.fm plugin used to be free but now it asks to login with Volumio account, not sure why that would be required and if it's free now or not.
well, Volumio is still an option unless these integrations are important for you.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What a killer feature set! When was the last time we saw a DAC with both a subwoofer out and trigger in and out? Yet along a fully rounded streamer.

i wish the S/N was a bit better, can the speaker outputs get high passed within the unit?
not sure if your question was ever answered but yes, when you activate the subwoofer setting in the Bluos app you have the choice of crossover setting. it is also a feature of the Powernode. I love these Nodes, I have the 2i generation and use the coax output so no worries about the DAC. Interface is plug and play, they auto update, and you can stream anything via your network, airplay, whatever.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
not sure if your question was ever answered but yes, when you activate the subwoofer setting in the Bluos app you have the choice of crossover setting. it is also a feature of the Powernode. I love these Nodes, I have the 2i generation and use the coax output so no worries about the DAC. Interface is plug and play, they auto update, and you can stream anything via your network, airplay, whatever.
Could you please show us some screenshots? Does the crossover effect the speaker output too?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Could you please show us some screenshots? Does the crossover effect the speaker output too?
Sure, these apply to the Node 2i and Powernode, I would think it is the same for the new Node but not sure.

From the BluOs app (not the Spotify app or other service app) select the player and tap the three vertical dots:

IMG_2280.png

Select Audio settings:

IMG_2281.jpg

You'll get this screen; move the subwoofer slider to the on position:

IMG_2282.jpg

When activated you'll see the crossover slider:

last.jpg

There has been considerable confusion regarding just what this does. For those not using the Node DAC a full range digital signal is passed out via the coax or optical and your downstream component handles the bass management. For those using the internal DAC I found this recent summary from Bluesound support: (it applies to both the Node and Powernode)

"Depending on the resource you're reading, it could be based on an older firmware version (so not necessarily conflicting, just outdated). As it works now (3.12.xx):

Subwoofer (On/Off) - turning this setting ON will apply a high pass filter to the RCA and Speaker Out (where applicable) based on the crossover set. Leaving this in the OFF position will send full range out of the RCA and Speaker Outs. Note that the SUBW OUT output will not be affected by this (this output will always be active) nor will it set a filter on the Digital Outputs (applicable to NODE and VAULT only)

Crossover: this will allow you to adjust the crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz; anything below your set crossover will be sent out of the SUBW OUT of your player. If the Subwoofer switch is set to ON (as mentioned above), everything above this crossover will be filtered out and sent to the RCA and Speaker Outputs.

Otherwise than that the SUBW OUT on your POWERNODE/NODE will output much like the RCA outs on the NODE (briefly speaking ofc).

Regards,
Sam R."

Hope this helps. Cheers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, these apply to the Node 2i and Powernode, I would think it is the same for the new Node but not sure.

From the BluOs app (not the Spotify app or other service app) select the player and tap the three vertical dots:

View attachment 173405

Select Audio settings:

View attachment 173406

You'll get this screen; move the subwoofer slider to the on position:

View attachment 173407

When activated you'll see the crossover slider:

View attachment 173408

There has been considerable confusion regarding just what this does. For those not using the Node DAC a full range digital signal is passed out via the coax or optical and your downstream component handles the bass management. For those using the internal DAC I found this recent summary from Bluesound support: (it applies to both the Node and Powernode)

"Depending on the resource you're reading, it could be based on an older firmware version (so not necessarily conflicting, just outdated). As it works now (3.12.xx):

Subwoofer (On/Off) - turning this setting ON will apply a high pass filter to the RCA and Speaker Out (where applicable) based on the crossover set. Leaving this in the OFF position will send full range out of the RCA and Speaker Outs. Note that the SUBW OUT output will not be affected by this (this output will always be active) nor will it set a filter on the Digital Outputs (applicable to NODE and VAULT only)

Crossover: this will allow you to adjust the crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz; anything below your set crossover will be sent out of the SUBW OUT of your player. If the Subwoofer switch is set to ON (as mentioned above), everything above this crossover will be filtered out and sent to the RCA and Speaker Outputs.

Otherwise than that the SUBW OUT on your POWERNODE/NODE will output much like the RCA outs on the NODE (briefly speaking ofc).

Regards,
Sam R."

Hope this helps. Cheers
This is phenomenal! Thank you for sharing!

got feedback from WiiM that "it's a known issue" that they are working to fixing it in the next firmware update. Let's wait then...
Just to follow up: today I’ve got the firmware update, and now Tidal Connect is there, working perfectly fine.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

CMB

In another news, the firmware update for the NODE which will enable USB output will be released on Dec 28th.

Is there actually any qualitative difference between using optical output to the DAC versus the USB output?
For the moment, I use the Node's USB output to connect an external drive and connect the DAC via optical.
Thks

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't think there is a difference in SQ between USB and Coaxial.

Reactions: CMB

PuX

Is there actually any qualitative difference between using optical output to the DAC versus the USB output?
measurable - yes. see DAC reviews with both inputs, one input can be better than the other.
practical - probably not.

tketcham

LuvTheMusic

So the competition needed is a "raw" streamer, basically a Node minus the DAC, analog outputs and controls, and subwoofer out -- just the streamer part with digital out. That would knock a significant chunk off the price. Come on, Bluesound -- or someone else.
There is a streamer/bridge/renderer available from iFi called the Zen Stream that is basically what you described. I bought one and have been using it but the iFi controller app has a bunch of glitches with it, especially DNLA mode to access my NAS (media server) drive. I'm frustrated enough with it to set aside the Zen Stream for now and wait until iFi cleans up the bugs in their iFi Stream app. The BluOS app had a lot of problems for a while but now is working really well with my Node 2i. I'm hoping that iFi Stream improves with age as well. On the other hand, if Bluesound/NAD came out with an upgraded bridge/renderer I'd buy one in a minute.

Tom

bocrux

I recently tried another competing product, the Nuprime Omnia Stream Mini which is pretty raw with no DAC and for outputs it has I2S, Optical, Coaxial, and NuPrime Digital Port (usb cable to a NuPrime DAC's auxiliary port). For $259 it seemed like a good bargain. Long story short I returned it after a day because the wireless kept on failing (there's no ethernet port) and I could not listen to a single track without a drop out. The room had a steady 60-70% wireless signal strength according to their app. Streaming music on Tidal and Qobuz, it would always miss a second at the start of each track and there was an annoying gap transitioning between tracks. I suspect Nuprime's beefier streamers will have similar issues.

Last edited:

Frank Sol

Top Bottom