• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

danzilla31

Forum Donor
He made the first video about getting the unit from Yamaha back in September:

It's now December, so it's roughly three months since he started the project and over a month since he decided to wait for Yamaha to come up with a FW fix for the SINAD variability among channels, but they did not (two FW updates released since then which did not fix any of the major bugs). I know for a fact that the SINAD issue is unfixable by FW. It's unclear if they can even fix the full scale SPL distortion, Gene also mentioned. The new line of receivers uses newer components, which were never used before, so bugs are unavertable. Unless you want to become a Yamaha beta tester, I would wait for at least another year for new hardware revisions to become available with fully matured FW (I assume it will take some time due to current worldwide components shortages).

Do you really want a 3000$ receiver that behaves like this:

?
Maybe Gene's lack of review is the most telling review of all?

squeedle

Maybe Gene's lack of review is the most telling review of all?
He was open about the issues he found and waiting to hear back from Yamaha. And that Yamaha confirmed his findings and he said he would publish the review. So I'm not sure what the hold-up is at this point.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
He was open about the issues he found and waiting to hear back from Yamaha. And that Yamaha confirmed his findings and he said he would publish the review. So I'm not sure what the hold-up is at this point.
Maybe it's just that bad of a review Lol this could be coming from Yamaha possibly. They sent him the product there may be stipulations for that we don't know. Maybe there forcing him to wait until after the holiday season?

I mean it's possible pretty dirty move tho if that's what's going on

squeedle

Maybe it's just that bad of a review Lol this could be coming from Yamaha possibly. They sent him the product there may be stipulations for that we don't know. Maybe there forcing him to wait until after the holiday season?

I mean it's possible pretty dirty move tho if that's what's going on
I guess we could speculate all we want. But IDK how much influence AH even has over the mainstream market. I'd bet not much.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Just to say it, it is strange that the first measurements in a review of a Yamaha A4, A6, A8 will come after Chritmas and the holidays sales period.
They seems already to be in stock since a few weeks.
If I would be on the plot side, I will say that there is something to hide.
Maybe, maybe not. At the end of the day, some serious testing and narrative need to be posted on youtube in order to reach wider audience.

In PC world, we have a few serious outlets and folks performing robust testing of all possible components, attracting huge audiences and having an impact. In AV world, we do not have this. Amir has been trying to take a slice of testing, an important slice. But, for the complexity of AVRs, his scope of testing is limited to a few features. We definitely need more complex testing. Someone or some group of enthusiasts need to set-up a channel on youtube, buy or unite testing gear and start producing professional AVR/AVP content, and not 1 or 2 minute upload of DD+ drop outs or 15 minute narrative that "tonality is warm" or showing inside AVR. Silly. If that does not change, AV environment will never be able to put positive pressure on vendors to bring more complete products to the market.

Until AVR reviewers figure out how to produce such insighful and comprehensive testing content, we are left with crumbs over fora and individual reports from users around the world, without wider impact.

Technomania

Forum Donor
He made the first video about getting the unit from Yamaha back in September:

It's now December, so it's roughly three months since he started the project and over a month since he decided to wait for Yamaha to come up with a FW fix for the SINAD variability among channels, but they did not (two FW updates released since then which did not fix any of the major bugs). I know for a fact that the SINAD issue is unfixable by FW. It's unclear if they can even fix the full scale SPL distortion, Gene also mentioned. The new line of receivers uses newer components, which were never used before, so bugs are unavertable. Unless you want to become a Yamaha beta tester, I would wait for at least another year for new hardware revisions to become available with fully matured FW (I assume it will take some time due to current worldwide components shortages).

Do you really want a 3000$ receiver that behaves like this:
That short was from September 30th, so practically October. It took Yamaha's some time to respond and confirm measurements. It is also true that everything runs slower in Covid world, including communication, information, feedback, updates, etc. It is what it is. Even if there is a "conspiracy" to delay publication after Xmas, so be it. The world of AVRs does not hang on it. If that publication is going to change someone's mind, excellent. Regardless, people will be able to return machines if they are not happy with issues they might discover at home.

Gene's findings and casual posts about audio are not always optimistic. I agree with this, but his impact also depends on how much specific owners or prospective buyers actually care about it. 64dB may be atrocious for some audio purists and enthusiasts, but not for everyone. In the same way, in display threads, 700 nits of brightness may be unacceptable for some HDR enthusiasts, but not for many ordinary folks. There is a broad AVR audience in the world, with different sensitivities, values and needs. You need to accept the idea of diversity of users. That's the world we live in.

There is great thread about all new AVRs/AVPs, here. Highly recommended, with very detailed chronological developments from 2020. I actually posted the link to your initial post #199 on ASR, so that members have access to this information and try to test their gear or research machines in more granular fashion. Find it in OP. There is a good communication between fora and threads and those who search will find information, test and make up their minds. Advising people not to buy 2020 AVRs is nothing new. In the thread below, we have been saying to people to skip all 2020 and most 2021 models due to immature HDMI transition and patchy boards. We also post links to audio measures, in addition to video features. I have been observing this confusing transition from the CES 2020 onwards and cannot believe the on-going chaos with this gen of devices. Promised myself not to buy anything until 2023, until all major audio and video issues are hopefully ironed out. Fingers crossed. Until then, good luck to those who devide to be brave beta-testers and accept carrots with 5 year warranty

Last edited:

Technomania

Forum Donor
Drop him a message on AH and ask.
But IDK how much influence AH even has over the mainstream market. I'd bet not much.
Exactly! Well put. That's why I said that this publication is not Noah's Arc.

squeedle

I'm not gonna bother him, I'm sure he will publish it as soon as he can. It's just frustrating and strange that it's taking so long and that he hasn't explained why (other than the initial delay waiting for Yamaha to respond).

Technomania

Forum Donor
I'm not gonna bother him, I'm sure he will publish it as soon as he can. It's just frustrating and strange that it's taking so long and that he hasn't explained why (other than the initial delay waiting for Yamaha to respond).
More measurements are available on AH's Patreon website for those who cannot wait. The value of access to exclusive AV and PC information has changed in recent years. Reviewers need support for what they do, so anyone wishing to find out something sooner than others need to subscribe and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

lewdish

A new untrusted useless subjective review of the A8A, if anyone is interested:

As pointless as his subjective comments are he does conclude with not recommended the a8a based on the fact that not everything is fully working and buggy.

Technomania

Forum Donor
As pointless as his subjective comments are he does conclude with not recommended the a8a based on the fact that not everything is fully working and buggy.
And that anonymous female voice on a side. Ghastly!

3dbinCanada

3dbinCanada

I didnt realize that A8A had two fans in its chassis. I wonder how far down the Yamaha line these fans can be found. I also wonder if the previous RX-A series also incorporated fans.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didnt realize that A8A had two fans in its chassis. I wonder how far down the Yamaha line these fans can be found. I also wonder if the previous RX-A series also incorporated fans.

No fans in the RX-A3070 for sure.

EB1000

I really don't understand the logic in still using bulky linear power supplies in 2021 receivers. They could save so much space, reduce heat, and improve performance by using modern SMPS. A 2kW digitally controlled isolated multi output SMPS has relatively small form factor. It seems like they use linear power supply only to satisfy the audiophool community...

Top Bottom