• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

lewdish

Anyone wanna make the call for me between the Yamaha A6A or the Denon X4700H/6700H. For me that sub 70 Sinad is really disappointing esp on a center channel, if it was only surround that wouldn't bother me as much but the center is a very commonly used channel, and if they can fix it with a software update that would be great. Otherwise the new Denon's are apparently shipping with new boards using lower performing TI/PCM chips instead of the original AKM chips. Not a great time for AVRs imo. Could also wait a bunch more months for a potential Pioneer Elite LX705.

SynthesisCinema

Summarizing... It's a good product, not great but it has some room for improvements ( more power when running in 7ch). Maybe Yamaha will be able to find a way to fix/ mitigate the center + surround issues by a firmware update. This is the first release of this new AVR platform. Basically, we are beta testers! :facepalm:

Yamahas are rarely happy when running 7ch ACD test due to protection activating, however this is quite different to real world scenario so it`s not something one should be worried. There is other sites that has got "normal" power output figures from 7ch (6ohm and 4ohm) ACD test which are fully comparable to any other competitor like SR8015 so Yamaha isn`t really lacking power to similar priced products.

Below is RX-A3070 which has basically very similar powersupply & capacitor section as A6A has. Power measurements when you scroll down and using search you can compare it to competitors (D&M, Arcam etc).

RX-A8A power measurements etc here:

EB1000

Note that the excellent AV Controller App (iphone/Android) is no longer supported with the new 2021 models, and will never be supported according to Yamaha reps (no plans for an app yet). You only get the limited Musiccast app or use the web control. So until, a 3rd party app is made available, you cannot control Yamaha AVRs with your phone.

OldAndSlowDev

Note that the excellent AV Controller App (iphone/Android) is no longer supported with the new 2021 models, and will never be supported according to Yamaha reps (no plans for an app yet). You only get the limited Musiccast app or use the web control. So until, a 3rd party app is made available, you cannot control Yamaha AVRs with your phone.
Yes it's true, I can't make my A8A levitate using the app so in some way I can't control it... But when it's about changing all the settings or playing music or changing scenes, it works. I assume it's not control and... obviously EB1000 is just here for some obvious reasons... spreading false arguments again and again... SU is proud of you little soldier :facepalm:

clone1008

You most certainly can control the new Yamahas with the MusicCast app... Maybe if you actually had one of these receivers and could use the app you would know instead of just posting negative things with your agenda. BTW how's that perfect C658 working out for you?

2021-12-27 08.34.19.jpg2021-12-27 08.34.12.jpg2021-12-27 08.34.04.jpg2021-12-27 08.33.26.jpg2021-12-27 08.33.16.jpg2021-12-27 08.33.04.jpg2021-12-27 08.32.55.jpg2021-12-27 08.32.45.jpg2021-12-27 09.00.22.jpg2021-12-27 09.00.15.jpg2021-12-27 08.59.59.jpg2021-12-27 08.59.52.jpg2021-12-27 08.59.44.jpg2021-12-27 08.58.51.jpg2021-12-27 08.58.40.jpg2021-12-27 08.58.28.jpg2021-12-27 08.58.06.jpg2021-12-27 08.57.51.jpg

Last edited:

EB1000

I usually don't reply to trolls, but there is no comparison to the old AV controller. Musicast is very limited.

3dbinCanada

I usually don't reply to trolls, but there is no comparison to the old AV controller. Musicast is very limited.

Your definition of a troll is rather warped as trolls dont take time to post screen shots. You may disagree with his assertion but a troll he isn't.

clone1008

To be honest I have you pegged as the troll. Seems like I'm not the only one after your latest misinformed negative Yamaha post. ;) BTW please share with us what the old AV Controller app could do that the new MusicCast app can't do that makes it such an earth shattering inferior app that made you feel the need to bash it. I would like specifics since you felt the need to call me a troll. After all I own the A6A which one do you have?

Last edited:

Technomania

Forum Donor
Hahaha. This is like kids throwing sand into each others' eyes. No need to react to low provocations by anyone who only posts negative ideas about products. Pick your fights gents. Some comments are not worth it and there is no need to feed them.

It's enough to say the app works/does not work and that AVR can be controlled in other ways. It's a non-issue. Whether app on the phone works or not is irrelevant for the product itself. It's just another non-essential perk. In his latest video, Gene from AH showed extensive web-based control and tuning for A6A. If app does not work, there is a browser on the phone too if anyone is eager to use phone.

And, there is good old remote control, to keep our phone addiction in check ;)

clone1008

Hahaha. This is like kids throwing sand into each others' eyes. No need to react to low provocations by anyone who only posts negative ideas about products. Pick your fights gents. Some comments are not worth it and there is no need to feed them.

It's enough to say the app works/does not work and that AVR can be controlled in other ways. It's a non-issue. Whether app on the phone works or not is irrelevant for the product itself. It's just another non-essential perk. In his latest video, Gene from AH showed extensive web-based control and tuning for A6A. If app does not work, there is a browser on the phone too if anyone is eager to use phone.

And, there is good old remote control, to keep our phone addiction in check ;)
There's also a great app that does a lot of adjustments it's called the MusicCast app, but one wouldn't know until they actually use it.;)

GaFan

Have you ran YPAO with more than 3 points? If so, check the results, they're completely off. Have you tried using AI with Netflix's Atmos? You should hear the dialog leaking from the front heights.. There are many more bugs and the sound compared to any other AVR such as the Onkyo RZ50 or Denon X4700H, is very disappointing, according to many user reports.

Here is an impression example, from a user after 2 months of usage (auto translated from by Google):
We connected the A8 in a composition of 7.2.4 There are 2 subwoofers and 4 speakers in the ceiling. We connected 3 different sources to it. Projector and TV.
We performed a basic calibration for initial measurements and settings. And here we encountered a first problem the distances of the speakers came out wrong.
The calibration was performed perfectly according to the book. We did 3 more tests and they all came out wrong. In the last test we used a microphone Of the 5200 without change. [After 2 updates of - YAMAHA the problem is solved but not in all cases] When calibrating
For more than 3 locations always one of the channels responds incorrectly [not always the same channel] There is a BUG Report to YAMAHA and they are aware of the problem. Currently the solution is to calibrate to only 3 locations.
I wrote that it was a short impression and I will explain. There are 2 main reasons.
1. Currently the device is not really ready for a real and comprehensive test. The delay in updating HDMI also hurts things and companions [HDCP 2.3 And its capabilities like - EARC] all these do not work and limit / impair the working capabilities of the receiver. According to the manufacturer should be updated by the end of the year. We also could not test the AURO 3D and it should be updated in the coming weeks.
2. There are some serious BUGS that impair the working capabilities of the receiver. [We reported and the manufacturer is aware of the issues and is trying to reach a solution as soon as possible . [But some still exist for almost 90 days without a solution] The worst BUG is that the receiver is not capable decoding DDP and this means that it is not possible for ATMOS via DDP and since this is currently the main way from STREAMING it serious problem .

Another problem in the same context is if you try to use AI while using ATMOS DDP the sounds do not come for the right speakers [for example the CENTER comes from the ceiling] some things happen when the ATMOS DDP is running.
1. The audio just disappears / stops working. 2. The receiver freezes and stops operating, which requires disconnection from the power supply and restarting. but no, The settings are always saved. YAMAHA admit that the problem exists but in their opinion it only happens with the use of HBO MAX. But this not really the situation. This has happened to us with almost every source and every input on the receiver. [We tried them all] Another problem is that there is - LAG
Seriously when trying to watch DV but - YAMAHA claim that it will work out after updating the HDMI. Another thing is
That there are explosion sounds from the speakers [POP] at different levels in the transition between the different sources. YAMAHA is aware of all the problems that I mentioned and at least regarding some of them they announced that they are trying to reach a solution. After trials there are a number of temporary ways / solutions and workarounds to try to get to the desired audio but at the moment it is in detours and not always accurate. So right now everyone is waiting for YAMAHA to come up with solutions to at least some of the problems.

An example of what happens in a receiver while using DDP is how the audio just disappears over and over again and this is just one problem.

In light of the whole situation as it is at the moment there was really no point in conducting a full examination and review. We made 2 brief comparisons just out of curiosity
One [blind] comparison was with YAMAHA's A3080 at only 7.1 channels. There were 4 present and 3 did not notice
In difference and one thought the A8 sounded better [this is the friend who purchased the receiver] We all agreed that the frequency management system
The lower performs better but still not well enough compared to other manufacturers. The second comparison was compared to the RZ50
The new ONKYO and here everyone agreed that the RZ50 sounds better and its price is less than 50%. For the calibration system of - DIRAC
There is a large part in the differences [there is nothing to compare in the results] but for any serious test / comparison one must wait for the good performance of the A8. [Obviously any comparison of audio is completely subjective]

GENE from AH has decided not to wait any longer for YAMAHA and will soon publish his test results regarding the A6.
All the information is definitely not good. He allowed YAMAHA more than 60 days to comment on how they were going to solve the problems
The mains he found [absorbed a lot of fire on the long wait] and now decided it was time. We will wait for the results including the various measurements post Scriptum. The purchased receiver was returned to the store before 60 days.
I am having the same issue with my A8. It drops signal, sound while watching movies and also experience loud popping noises when searching movies in Netflix. Any idea on a fix? Thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am having the same issue with my A8. It drops signal, sound while watching movies and also experience loud popping noises when searching movies in Netflix. Any idea on a fix? Thanks
Curious, have you addressed the behavior with soft or hard resets at all?

GaFan

Curious, have you addressed the behavior with soft or hard resets at all?
Yes, normally when it loses signal, sound I will turn it off and unplug it for a while and once I plug it back in, it will work ok for a few days and then starts to lose signal and sound again. It always makes a loud popping sound when I am searching for a movie on Netflix.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, normally when it loses signal, sound I will turn it off and unplug it for a while and once I plug it back in, it will work ok for a few days and then starts to lose signal and sound again. It always makes a loud popping sound when I am searching for a movie on Netflix.
How about a hard reset? Sometimes soft resets like that work, sometimes not IME. Odd noises like that aren't something I'd tolerate, would be doing a lot of analysis....

Open Mind Audio

Does anyone know if the RX-A8A accepts multichannel analog inputs? That would be an appealing way to bypass the HDMI/Sinad limitations when listening to multichannel audio.

The analog section for stereo looks quite good via Pure Direct, making this a good option if you want to use external DAC and amps for critical stereo and rely on the AVR for movies. But I also love to listen to multichannel audio, so am curious to know about options there.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the RX-A8A accepts multichannel analog inputs? That would be an appealing way to bypass the HDMI/Sinad limitations when listening to multichannel audio.

The analog section for stereo looks quite good via Pure Direct, making this a good option if you want to use external DAC and amps for critical stereo and rely on the AVR for movies. But I also love to listen to multichannel audio, so am curious to know about options there.
No. The Cx-A5100 was the last “high SINAD” Yamaha preamp with 5ch in. The CX-A5200 has the XLR bug.

It would be good to see if the RX-A8A has the same center channel bug as the RX-A6A. Hopefully someone can send one into Amir for testing.

lc6

From page 237 of the A6A manual:

YPAO:Low Frequency
Detects the frequency in low frequency range to be compensated.
This function does not compensate the Q factor and gain besides frequency, so that in
“Manual”, you may copy the parametric equalizer values of “YPAO:Low Frequency”, and
adjust the Q factor or gain manually.

But after running YPAO calibration, selecting the YPAO:Low Frequency mode, and clicking Enter on the remote control, I do see Q-factors different from 1 and gains different from 0 dB for frequencies below several hundred Hz. (Also, interestingly, those settings are different from the low frequency settings in the Flat mode, presumably on the account of all 7 correction bands being available for this narrow frequency range.) This suggests that, contrary to the manual, compensation is being applied in YPAO:Low Frequency (and indeed it is audible with a 2-channel source material when switching between YPAO:Front, YPAO:Low Frequency and Through modes.).
Anyone else seeing this in their RX-AxA?

dagjohnsen

From page 237 of the A6A manual:

YPAO:Low Frequency
Detects the frequency in low frequency range to be compensated.
This function does not compensate the Q factor and gain besides frequency, so that in
“Manual”, you may copy the parametric equalizer values of “YPAO:Low Frequency”, and
adjust the Q factor or gain manually.

But after running YPAO calibration, selecting the YPAO:Low Frequency mode, and clicking Enter on the remote control, I do see Q-factors different from 1 and gains different from 0 dB for frequencies below several hundred Hz. (Also, interestingly, those settings are different from the low frequency settings in the Flat mode, presumably on the account of all 7 correction bands being available for this narrow frequency range.) This suggests that, contrary to the manual, compensation is being applied in YPAO:Low Frequency (and indeed it is audible with a 2-channel source material when switching between YPAO:Front, YPAO:Low Frequency and Through modes.).
Anyone else seeing this in their RX-AxA?
I see the same, and hear the same as you. After calibration I get the clearly the best sound and soundstage using YPAO:Low Frequenzy. Bass are clearly better but not shy, the soundstage are actually wider and the vocals and top end much more clear. By far the best setting! The results I read are very different from in Natural or Flat, you can see things are done but it has almost not done anything if you look at the EQ data. only 0,5 to 1 dB adjustments, while in Natural or Flat it have way bigger numbers in the EQ below 250 hz. So my theory is that it works more activly in the time domain using YPAO;Low Frequenzy (so it does a lot of adjustments you cannot see anywhere), and this is backed up by the fact if you copy YPAO Low Frequenzy over to YPAO Manual, the sounstage and clarity collapses. So you must use YPAO;Low Frequenzy to get the best possible sound quality.
I also have another stereo with a Yamaha CX-A5100, and I am used to copying YPAO Natural over to YPAO Manual and then do some manual work. But with my new A4A this gives a clearly worse result, I must use YPAO Low Frequenzy to get the best result.

Top Bottom