• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha r-n2000a loudness adjustment - does it adjust the mids?

dman777

I own the Yamaha r-n2000a which has a loudness adjustment. It sounds like it adjusts the mid frequency to my ears, but I can not tell for sure. Is there a way to look at the specs to find out what exactly the loudness adjustment knob changes?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
With Audacity you can generate test files at different frequencies and then listen to what happens.

But really, you should adjust it to whatever sounds good to you. ;)

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those Yamaha loudness controls are genius. I can't give you the specifics, but yes it would adjust the mid frequencies relative to the high and low frequencies. The way I was told to use it was to turn the volume up to where the music had the energy and slam I preferred, and if it that was too loud for me or the current conditions, turn the loudness control until it tamed the perceived volume.

The irony, I guess, is that the "Loudness" control actually decreases perceived loudness.

OP
D

dman777

Those Yamaha loudness controls are genius. I can't give you the specifics, but yes it would adjust the mid frequencies relative to the high and low frequencies. The way I was told to use it was to turn the volume up to where the music had the energy and slam I preferred, and if it that was too loud for me or the current conditions, turn the loudness control until it tamed the perceived volume.

The irony, I guess, is that the "Loudness" control actually decreases perceived loudness.
Yep, that is exactly what I do. It works out well.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We got measurements:

There is no evidence that the variable loudness changed from the late 70ies either, so it will be the same, no matter what Yamaha amp.
Except for my A-S1200. It doesn't have the variable loudness and that sucks.

Also interesting:

Particularly:
audio_1974-09_Yamaha-1000_f9.jpg

meracus

Such a shame It cant control the main frequency cut off in relation to the subwoofer output … a missed opportunity otherwise a perfect amplifier it seems

SAL_74

I own the Yamaha r-n2000a which has a loudness adjustment. It sounds like it adjusts the mid frequency to my ears, but I can not tell for sure. Is there a way to look at the specs to find out what exactly the loudness adjustment knob changes?
I have ‘not available’ on display every time I use the loudness knob…. Is it serious?

Top Bottom