• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha DSP-Z7 (or RX-Z7): obsolete?

Good afternoon everyone, this is my first post in this forum.

Thanks to Amin and to all the contributors who send him their gear for testing. It seems, at last, that we are moving out of the dark ages of audio thanks to you all :)

If I lived in the USA I would not hesitate ask Amin if I could send him my Yamaha Z7 over for measuring, because I am wondering if a 12 year-old AVR can outperform today's best in class?

This is the only review I have found from back in the days with measurements, let me know what you think about it and if anything can be directly compared to what is to be found here?

Indeed, the more I read and the more I am starting to believe that AVR's started to see their audio performance degrade since the advent of Atmos and the likes. I was not expecting that since DAC's have made a lot of progress on paper as one would expect. Please do tell me if I am right to strongly consider keeping my good old Z7 with a 7.1 setup :rolleyes:?

Best Regards

Andre

zeb512

Hello Andre,
I've the same question :D.
I'm the proud owner of a Z7 and I would like to know if I will hear a big difference in replacing it with Hypex Ncore amp ?
If some people made the move please comment ;)

noname33

Hello there, The Yamaha rx z7 is a VERY good receiver and always will be. It's one of the best 7.1 avr in 2010 era w/ performance measurements/ reviews to back it up. It doesn't REALLY need to be measured and compared against new high end atmos avr receivers. It's kinda pointless Its amplifier, build quality and performance is somewhere between a newer model like Denon x7200wa and x8500h models-if I had to guess. And those are top notch models. Audioholics website has in depth professional reviews on audio equipment- and that is their specialty. Yes, the Yamaha rx z7 is an obsolete piece of equipment. If you're only running a 7.1 system and don't care to upgrade to a dolby atmos setup; than who cares. As long as you can make your setup work it doesn't matter. a high end surround system w/ good components-speakers, receiver, amp will ALWAYS be good. A dolby atmos setup generally requires more $ and speakers/ work and correct environment isn't always ideal for everyone

My current setup is

Video-Sony LED 4k hdr tv, samsung 4k blu ray player and multiple gaming systems. Ps5 soon to be added in June.

Audio- Denon 4802r 7.1 receiver(2004 year),all Def. Tech speakers-- definitive technology bp10 towers, clr 2002 center, 4 promonitor 1000 surrounds. This Denon model build quality + amp section is same level as a Yamaha rx z7...it actually weighs over 45lbs

I watch 4k blu rays, 1080p content and all resolution video so on. I watch movies/ tv and play games with 7.0 surround sound via digital optical connection- 1.5mbps dts and 640kbps dolby digital- guess what it still AMAZING till this day, and Iv'e compared my setup to many.

Don't upgrade just because your setup is obsolete. Upgrade because you want Dolby atmos etc and newer tech and you can't make your receiver work with newer tech 4k, 8k Tv etc so on. Only upgrade if you can afford $ and REALLY are going to go all out and can set it up correctly and make it worthwhile. Many people don't even setup their 5.1 system correctly-for reference and example. Take care

Top Bottom