• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you help me reccommendations an amplifier for B&W 683S2

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My “assessment” is here ;)

In more words: very uneven response and substantial directivity issues. This means you can’t even properly EQ this away. It’s quite remarkable to have this in a 3-way… the primary reason is simple: the large midrange plays way to high with upto 4 kHz. There are clear resonances up there, and because of its size it’s beaming a lot, resulting in the directivity mismatch with the tweeter.
Thanks - quite a misleading commentary then, perhaps just by omission. Appreciated

OP
G

glorei

Thank you all for your opinions and also thank you for the expert review of the speakers. Anyway, I'm not going to change the speakers at the moment, so I'll buy a player and leave the Yamaha for now. A lot of opinions have been mentioned here, so i need to read some articles about the "D class AMP".

So, at the moment, it is disadvantageous for me to buy Eversolo, so I will look for a streamer that plays from Tidal and from the NAS (Some like Wiim Pro +).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all for your opinions and also thank you for the expert review of the speakers. Anyway, I'm not going to change the speakers at the moment, so I'll buy a player and leave the Yamaha for now. A lot of opinions have been mentioned here, so i need to read some articles about the "D class AMP".
That sounds like a sensible thing to do.
So, at the moment, it is disadvantageous for me to buy Eversolo, so I will look for a streamer that plays from Tidal and from the NAS (Some like Wiim Pro +).
Maybe a more holistic approach may be useful: list all the features you need from a streamer and amp, and then see what products meet those criteria. There may be multiple options and configurations, from separate devices, to integrated solutions. Having said that, the Wiim Pro + is a nice device. It also comes with a parametric EQ, so can be used form room correction. All you’ll need is a power amp if you don’t have any other sources. But meanwhile, you aging AVR will do just fine ;)

OP
G

glorei

Wow, good question. I would prefer control via TV or display. Kind of like apple tv has an apple music app (I'll be using Qobuz or Tidal, so I'd need a better DAC in the streamer). When I look at the streamers, none of them have this function, unfortunately. I have a large music library on my SSD - all in lossless quality. I don't have any music source at the moment so I want to buy a streamer to listen to music.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, good question. I would prefer control via TV or display. Kind of like apple tv has an apple music app (I'll be using Qobuz or Tidal, so I'd need a better DAC in the streamer). When I look at the streamers, none of them have this function, unfortunately. I have a large music library on my SSD - all in lossless quality. I don't have any music source at the moment so I want to buy a streamer to listen to music.
Fyi the DAC in the WiiM Pro Plus is more than good enough: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-pro-plus-review-measurements-streamer.47020/

orbano

Hi, I have these BW 683S2, I use a Raspberry Pi with a audiophonics Es9038 DAC on top of it, as streamer (with moodeaudio) and as preamp, connected to an Atoll AM200 power amp, and it's a nice combo, quite pleased with it. If you opt for the eversolo, you can also just select a power amp...

OP
G

glorei

I use a Raspberry Pi with a audiophonics Es9038 DAC
Yes, this option also occurred to me, I would just use HAT Allo Boss 2. That way I would install moode or Volumio on the RPi. I just haven't had time to try adding Qobuz or Tidal to it yet. I have an unused RPi 4 model B with 8 Gb ram at home. I have to make a decision.

Top Bottom