• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you help me reccommendations an amplifier for B&W 683S2

glorei

Hello,

i am new here on this forum and this is my first topic. Last 14 days i just read a lot of reviews for DAC and Streamer (Eversolo DMP A-6) on this site. Next month i want buy Eversolo, but next step is amplifier for my speakers. Now i have very old receiver Yamaha rx v 659, but this is 5.1 receiver. I want now just STEREO amplifier with BI Wiring (i have already Vincent BI-WI cables) and this speakers is too hungry of power. My maximal price is 1500€.

Thank you so much for your help, recommendations and your opinions.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Skip biwiring and look for some purify or ncore amp like buckeye or audiophonics ... you find large amount of reviews and discussions in this forum :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want now just STEREO amplifier with BI Wiring
Why? Biwiring is harmless, but also pointless. It offers nothing except more wires.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Series 800 from B&W is too expensive for me.
I think you'll find that B&W isn't real popular here, for various reasons.

kacos

i have very old receiver Yamaha rx v 659, but this is 5.1 receiver. I want now just STEREO amplifier
Why? Your amp can definitely drive your speakers + you can connect the Eversolo via it's RCA output - will work just fine
Listen to how it sounds with your Yamaha first before spending your money ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kacos

OK
I guess I am the exception .. again :rolleyes:
PS: not sure that measured frequency response is what most people look/hear when they buy speakers ..

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK
I guess I am the exception .. again :rolleyes:
PS: not sure that measured frequency response is what most people look/hear when they buy speakers ..
People like all sorts of things. Which is fine. But this is ASR, and we tend to look at measured data.

kacos

People like all sorts of things. Which is fine. But this is ASR, and we tend to look at measured data.
True, but keep in mind that some models were never measured (at least can't find them) and some predate this forum.
And if you 'tend' to dislike a brand because some models don't measure good, well, .. that's not very scientific

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but keep in mind that some models were never measured (at least can't find them) and some predate this forum.
And if you 'tend' to dislike a brand because some models don't measure good, well, .. that's not very scientific
With B&W the tendency seems to be that later models measure considerably worse than earlier. It's not a speaker I'm particularly interested in, but there are several people here who can speak more authoritatively.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
If the measurements are not good then it is totally scientific to reject them. Objective analysis of audio is about accurate reproduction not a subjective like or dislike. Start with a bunch of speakers whose measurements that are decent and pick from that lot what I can afford is my credo. Good measurements show that the designers knew what they were doing and weren't just box stuffers. So many high end speakers (and components) are just pretty boxes stuffed with drivers to bilk money out of status seeking rich guys. ASR has been the proof of that. And its always been possible to measure speakers FR. Just because it doesn't exist in the published literature means that no one did it and probably not the manufacturer either because they knew that the boxes they threw together would not be challenged.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So many high end speakers (and components) are just pretty boxes stuffed with drivers to bilk money out of status seeking rich guys.
I'd say goofy looking boxes. But maybe that's just me.

OP
G

glorei

So, sorry for my question. I am "old school" and i lheard a lot of speakers, amplifiers, on High End expo in Prague. I heard mark like B&W, Tannoy, MBL, B&O, Cabasse, KEF, Focal,...lot of amplifiers Classe, McIntosh, NAD, Mark Levinson, Pathos,... But this was before 15 years. Music was my hobby. But i still remember my flagship sound - B&W 800D with classe (i dont remember model, but was 1x CD, 1x PRE AMP and 4x monoblock). Now, for me is "new age" (DSD, MQA, 24/192bit, DAC Sabre, AKM, Qobuz,...) too much "news" for me. This is a reason why i ask here on this forum. I know, every person prefery other "BEST", and my BEST is "basic models" for others...

kacos

No need to be sorry
Ahh, B&W 800D .. wish I could afford a pair of those & a couple of Classe amps to drive them :D
PS: I have the Classe CA-5200 - it's a 60kg beast of an amp !

JeremyFife

Hi, and welcome to ASR :)

You asked about a new Amp, with a budget of around 1500 EUR. There's loads of choice and one of Apollon's Amps was reviewed here very recently - within budget and pretty impressive.

Don't bi-wire though, it really is pointless.

You are getting comments about your speakers because members here are trying to help you get the best sound for your money and changing your amp might not be the best option.

Look at the review index here, see what you could do. E.g In Europe you get good prices on Focal speakers - worth a thought. A simpler, new, Yamaha amp might also work for you.

If you love your speakers, keep them. That Apollon amp looks great, you'll be happy. Just consider the options first.

Enjoy :)

nerdstrike

You could look into Nord Acoustics latest budget range. They look like pretty good value and you need not sink your whole budget (unless you need an integrated amp).

Top Bottom