• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say 2 piece assembly - do you mean two different binding post modules with 4 posts each? Because, the one for the right speaker is working perfectly fine. I only need the one for the left speaker (which is on the right side lol). Unless you mean the 4-post module comes in two parts. What would the other part number be?
Oh you want one side... Then the Yamaha parts guy is accurate. I have not cross referenced your part number.

bboris77

Oh you want one side... Then the Yamaha parts guy is accurate. I have not cross referenced your part number.
Yes, fortunately I did not overtorque the other side. Still fairly disappointed that it broke at all as I’m fairly gentle with my equipment. The sheet metal that the posts screw into must be fairly thin to wear out that quickly. Lesson learned - I’ve gone back to banana plugs now on my other stuff.

WDeranged

I recently spent a couple of days comparing the internal DAC of my A-S301 to an SMSL SU-1, Marantz CD 6004 and the internal DAC of my SugarCube. I'm very impressed. I expected it to be noticeably worse than at least one of them but it's not. I wouldn't bet a single penny that anyone could reliably tell them apart.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I recently spent a couple of days comparing the internal DAC of my A-S301 to an SMSL SU-1, Marantz CD 6004 and the internal DAC of my SugarCube. I'm very impressed. I expected it to be noticeably worse than at least one of them but it's not. I wouldn't bet a single penny that anyone could reliably tell them apart.
I'm not surprised, and I wonder how many others would find the same. I also wonder how much this depends on the quality of the amp and speakers (or 'phones).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I'm not surprised, and I wonder how many others would find the same. I also wonder how much this depends on the quality of the amp and speakers (or 'phones).
Well great planar headphones (DCA Stelth) will have 81 dB SINAD at 2 KHz driven at 94 dB SPL in very controlled conditions regarding residential noise and pretty much all speakers will be far below that so drive a conclusion as you don't listen to DAC or Amp.

WDeranged

I've been running a WiiM Mini from the Yamaha's USB port. For some reason it kept rebooting whenever I'd change channels on the amp. Turns out that Pure Direct cuts power to the USB whenever you're using an analog input!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been running a WiiM Mini from the Yamaha's USB port. For some reason it kept rebooting whenever I'd change channels on the amp. Turns out that Pure Direct cuts power to the USB whenever you're using an analog input!
On the one hand that sucks, but on the other it shows incredible attention to detail. Thy disable the digital section to bring down the noise in the analog parts by a tiny amount, maybe just one dB or so.
Check out Yamahas specs for the A-S300 and the A-S301, Signal to Noise dropped from 100dB to 99 on the CD input. The same can be seen in the 500 to 501 and 700 to 701.

WDeranged

On the one hand that sucks, but on the other it shows incredible attention to detail. Thy disable the digital section to bring down the noise in the analog parts by a tiny amount, maybe just one dB or so.
Check out Yamahas specs for the A-S300 and the A-S301, Signal to Noise dropped from 100dB to 99 on the CD input. The same can be seen in the 500 to 501 and 700 to 701.

Yeah I thought it was a nice but pointless touch. It won't be a real issue for me as I had Pure Direct engaged by accident. I always use EQ and I need the balance control to compensate for one slightly duff ear.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I thought it was a nice but pointless touch. It won't be a real issue for me as I had Pure Direct engaged by accident. I always use EQ and I need the balance control to compensate for one slightly duff ear.
Right. I think Pure Direct also disables variable Loudness, which is a shame as it's so very useful if you have to turn it down at night a bit.

Top Bottom