• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you rebuy your current setup?

What would you do if you got all your money back?

• I would get the same setup

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I would get someting different but use all the money

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I would downshift to a more modest setup

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I would upgrade to more expensive setup

Votes: 33 19.2%

• Total voters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
@Muddywaters yikes. My advice is to take care of the basics first to get your home up and running. Take your time on the electronics. I went from a converted 2 car garage to a much smaller 3rd floor room, but it works. Don't worry about the crap you have to throw away. I t might be a benefit.
Thanks, we totally gutted the home ‘15-‘16 only 12’ of existing internal wall/bookcase was saved back then. We’re bringing it back same as that. Veering off topic sorry.

Today I’ll finish burying balanced cables into the sides and back wall in my room to accommodate potential subs. (Thanks to an ASR’er suggestion). Finished the runs for the subs in the family room yesterday. Doors and trim are in progress so needed toget this stuff done.

Hopefully you’ve recovered some sanity from the stress and are enjoying your music!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get the same if I could, but as everything I have is vintage and rare at that - how many AEG TRS9000s ever come available - most likely I would have to find something else to buy. My 'speakers are DIY actives, and I don't think I have the energy to do it all again. Probably buy some Grimms if I go modern or perhaps vintage Tannoys if I fancy something different.

Just hope I'm never faced with that decision.

S

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't know about that to be honest, like sure it's exciting but like It's really difficult to think of a reason why one would buy it over the D&D. asthetically it's inferior (and like i don't usually put this at the beginning of such discussions but we're talking about 1%ers money here), from what has been shared measurements wise the Dutch&Dutch also wipes the floor with it (and the Kii) because of its flawless 8-inch waveguide and the fact that it is not full range and the 8C also having superb standalone streaming and integration stuff like you mentioned makes it a very hard sell. I really didn't expect the Mantra to be this expensive.

This is why I'm hesitant to deliver speakers for review at ASR, readers assume they can judge speakers on the measurements alone and/or by ranking preference score. It's great that we get lots of objective data. It's a problem that people read too much into them, and think they can can know which speakers sound better based on it.

It will of course be ignored as subjective data by many, but I look forward to getting the thoughts of @Purité Audio on the Mantas, seeing as he is experienced with the alternatives as well. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I'm hesitant to deliver speakers for review at ASR, readers assume they can judge speakers on the measurements alone and/or by ranking preference score. It's great that we get lots of objective data. It's a problem that people read too much into them, and think they can can know which speakers sound better based on it.

Well too bad it’s too expensive for me to actually listen to it.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well too bad it’s too expensive for me to actually listen to it.

That is unfortunate. Luckily there are many other great speakers out there at different price points!

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Knowing what I now know about vinyl’s limitations, I’d probably not pay so much for a turntable and cartridge and use the change to buy a sub and the means to integrate it well.

Also good point @buz - I’d get white Genelecs this time.

Snickers-is

I just realized that the Manta is priced as high as the Dutch and Dutch 8C. that's a tough sell imo considering it's worse on paper in almost every single way other than the face it's a coincedental design.

And I have heard them both several times.

How do you conclude they are worse on paper? Because in real life, this is like comparing a gokart to an F1 car.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

I'd suggest it's MORE of a problem that people read too much into subjective reviews and think they can know which speakers sound better based on them...unless what one is curious about is how a given person with a given set of potential biases and hearing issues feels a given set of speakers sound in that person's particular listening room with it's given array of peculiarities. :D

notsodeadlizard

I'm listening just now to the Alessandro Galati trio and I understand that everything absolutely suits me.
Of course it can be better, it can always be better, but why?

Snickers-is

the low frequency extension alone will make the Dutch & Dutch superior. Which makes your comment below even more ridiculous.

Why does having the woofers inside the same boxes as the mids and tweeters make a speaker superior?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I guess not, so if the gokart and the F1 car were priced similarilly, either the gokart would be over priced, or the F1 car would be a bargain?

Well...if you looked at the spec sheet for a Go Kart and compared it with the spec sheet of a formula One car and then learned they both sold for the same price, would you feel that the Go kart was measurably worse than the F1 car?

Snickers-is

Well...if you looked at the spec sheet for a Go Kart and compared it with the spec sheet of a formula One car and then learned they both sold for the same price, would you feel that the Go kart was measurably worse than the F1 car?

Absolutely. So why would anyone even consider thinking the 8C is superior based on the datasheet?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Absolutely. So why would anyone even consider thinking the 8C is superior based on the datasheet?

I don't know. I'm not familiar with either speaker. I just don't see how the comparison of 2 speakers in the same price range is the same as comparing a Gokart to an F1 car...

Snickers-is

I don't know. I'm not familiar with either speaker. I just don't see how the comparison of 2 speakers in the same price range is the same as comparing a Gokart to an F1 car...

As I said, I have heard both of them. They are very far from comparable in performance. The Manta sounds huge, dynamic, powerful and subtile, while the 8C only does subtile in comparison. They are far more different than people seem to think.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As I said, I have heard both of them. They are very far from comparable in performance. The Manta sounds huge, dynamic, powerful and subtile, while the 8C only does subtile in comparison. They are far more different than people seem to think.
I imagine there are fairly few people in the world who have been fortunate enough to hear both, at the moment at least.
Really looking forward to make that comparison for myself.
Keith

Top Bottom