• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you rebuy your current setup?

What would you do if you got all your money back?

• I would get the same setup

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I would get someting different but use all the money

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I would downshift to a more modest setup

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I would upgrade to more expensive setup

Votes: 33 19.2%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones only here - but if I had my time again I would only buy the one headphone (second hand HD800) and the RME ADI 2 DAC fed from the Wiim mini.

All the other DACs, headamps previous add nothing and many of the other headphones too. Made the mistake of making the acquisitions the hobby.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if (say) around 45% of the people on ASR are done with their system building, including me, what are we here for? The jolly banter?
And second guessing what they are satisfied with. :cool:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While the love of music and listening to it stays, my enthusiasm to test new gear has diminshed to near zero, honestly. I have so much gear in storage that I could buy 4 houses and competently gear them up (not that I am about to). :)

The law of diminshing returns is brutal. Years ago, the combination of design and a good marketing brochure would make me lust to try something new out. Now -and especially with the data in ASR- I quickly know the improvements are very marginal, and that often you end up owning gear that cost you dearly that you don't enjoy as much as you think you would. I even sometimes find "surprise" gear or gimmicks in storage boxes. :)

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Most of my stuff is diy, and the path to build them was as interesting as the result. And the ones i keep, are good sounding in my opinion. The gear i bought is well studied and often already years in use. So yes, i would redo it. But it does not mean i stop doing diy, and from time to time buy a new commercial gear. But in the last 5 years i did not sell much gear again, because i did not fell the need to replace it. I also got a few systems, in different rooms in my house, and not all rooms have a system yet ;)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would first take care of my roommodes (reverberation/reflection) to bring them back to around 0,5 seconds if not that costly:facepalm:

eboleyn

Forum Donor
I'm a bit older and also due to my ASR reading habit for the last few years have managed to settle on a setup which is as far as I can tell pretty optimal for at least my downstairs office setup.

For the living room setup, I'm currently in the process of building what are probably my final upgrade speakers... unless we move it's unlikely I'll change anytime in the moderate future, haha!

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Apollon dual mono amp driving Goldenear One.R. Perfectly happy. If I got a bigger house to boot maybe upgrade to Goldenear Triton Reference. But I'm in musical bliss as is.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Essentially, yes. But because most of my components are older, I’d probably get newer versions of the same kit. For instance, I’d replace my Bryston 4B-ST with a 4B3 and the Bryston BP-1.5 with a BP-2 MM/MC. I would probably not buy another tuner, which I do have now, nor another Topping D70S DAC. The DAC frontier changes too fast to buy an older DAC. I’d rebuy my Luxman turntable in a minute - I really do like its performance and user experience.

Overall, I would stick with the Bryston components which I have found to be exceptionally reliable and to have great customer service.

jhwalker

I'm thinking, "No".

Much as I love my current setup, I think I'd aim for active speakers (like Dutch & Dutch 8c) instead of passive with amplifier, etc. I like the idea of getting the sound as "clean" as possible at the speaker, so I'm hearing the sound of the recordings, NOT the sound of the speakers, as much as possible.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Yes I would

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Yes, unless I had another £4k to spend on Hedd Type 20 and Hedd Bass 12 sub or another £10k to spend then I’d have Kii Audio Threes

Last edited:

jim1274

Forum Donor
Boy, this is a thought provoking thread—had a flashback of 40+ years of gear and changes. Until recent years, especially active changes last year, my changes were slow and infrequent. I still have a pair of speakers (ok, 2 pairs) that are 40 years old and in a system. The thing that really spurred purchases in recent years was discovery of Roon and remote control of zones right from my phone—that added a few zones aka systems. I’m retired so can now enjoy good tunes in every room that I spend time in, so that got things rolling. Of the things still here, boy, I’d probably stand pat for the most part. I’d say most of my changes were driven by technology and digital streaming, making things like my old Superphon Revelation preamp obsolete. On the speaker end, I bought a pair of BMR monitors (from this forum reviews) for my garage zone. Most of the electronics part of the equation was all driven by technology changes. I’m on my third AVR, only because I had to. First one was an NAD that I think was only 5.1, rotated to the garage when purchasing a Denon with newer tech support, then the current Yamaha because Denon was only 9 channel and no ATMOS capability.

Top Bottom