• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you rebuy your current setup?

What would you do if you got all your money back?

• I would get the same setup

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I would get someting different but use all the money

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I would downshift to a more modest setup

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I would upgrade to more expensive setup

Votes: 33 19.2%

• Total voters

Matt Bell

I might get class D for all the amps. That's about it.
Same here.
I'd stick with the JBL 4367s and the miniDSP SHD and replace the Devialet (!!!). In its place I'd probably use the DAC/pre section in the miniDSP and get a class D power amp from nord or Audiophonics or similar.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The new Manta 4-way from Thorbjørn at Sigberg, potentially GGNTKTs M-3 again 4 way and another which I will get into trouble for mentioning!
Hopefully soon. I am sure there are more but I find those particularly interesting because they build on principles I am familiar with and which I know work in domestic rooms and sound good.
Keith

Those would be pretty interesting to listen to. Where are my matches?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Would I re-buy my current setup?"

Probably not. Probably couldn't, since it is all out of production.

But I'm happy with it, and it is long paid for, so no changes anticipated.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The new Manta 4-way from Thorbjørn at Sigberg, potentially GGNTKTs M-3 again 4 way and another which I will get into trouble for mentioning!
Hopefully soon. I am sure there are more but I find those particularly interesting because they build on principles I am familiar with and which I know work in domestic rooms and sound good.
Keith

I just realized that the Manta is priced as high as the Dutch and Dutch 8C. that's a tough sell imo considering it's worse on paper in almost every single way other than the face it's a coincedental design.

D

Deleted member 58722

Let's say there's a catastrophic event and your current setup gets completely destroyed but you get back 100% of what you paid from insurance.

Would you get the same setup you have now?

I was just wondering that myself and came to a conclusion that for the most part answer would be "no".

It's not that I really regret buying the stuff, but there sure is some overkill there. I think I could replace my 2.2 system with something like LS60 and save some money,. Not sure I need big Genelecs for my desktop. I have a lot of headphones when one of them is still the best and what I use most of the time etc etc
I would buy all the same agin, other thanI would upgrade my power amp, to say 2Kw.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just realized that the Manta is priced as high as the Dutch and Dutch 8C. that's a tough sell imo considering it's worse on paper in almost every single way other than the face it's a coincedental design.
The Mantas are £1500 cheaper than the 8Cs but then you really need a sub/s with the Mantas ( two really) so that will make them more expensive but then they are four ways , for me the Manta is worth investing in, they are exciting and let’s be honest not many hi-fi components are.
Kii we’re a brand new concept but they turned out ok, Dutch&Dutch were just at the start when I first contacted them and they have been and continue to be outstanding and have added worthwhile refinements.
And who wants to be another B&W/PMC/ ATC/ Monitor Audio/Harbeth etc etc retailer there are more than enough of those!
Keith

Godataloss

I'm kind of at that place right now. I like to change my system up regularly and I haven't in quite some time. Recently put my speakers up for sale at a price well above what I have invested, but not crazy. I had several good inquiries, but not at my asking price. I was considering taking them off the market when I got a solid full asking price with earnest money offer last week. Now, I can't decide if I want to go through with it. I generally don't get overly-attached to gear, but I can't get over the feeling I would regret selling and just end up frittering away the money on something silly like my kids education...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kind of at that place right now. I like to change my system up regularly and I haven't in quite some time. Recently put my speakers up for sale at a price well above what I have invested, but not crazy. I had several good inquiries, but not at my asking price. I was considering taking them off the market when I got a solid full asking price with earnest money offer last week. Now, I can't decide if I want to go through with it. I generally don't get overly-attached to gear, but I can't get over the feeling I would regret selling and just end up frittering away the money on something silly like my kids education...
What speakers are you so attached to?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mantas are £1500 cheaper than the 8Cs but then you really need a sub/s with the Mantas ( two really) so that will make them more expensive but then they are four ways , for me the Manta is worth investing in, they are exciting and let’s be honest not many hi-fi components are.

I don't know about that to be honest, like sure it's exciting but like It's really difficult to think of a reason why one would buy it over the D&D. asthetically it's inferior (and like i don't usually put this at the beginning of such discussions but we're talking about 1%ers money here), from what has been shared measurements wise the Dutch&Dutch also wipes the floor with it (and the Kii) because of its flawless 8-inch waveguide and the fact that it is not full range and the 8C also having superb standalone streaming and integration stuff like you mentioned makes it a very hard sell. I really didn't expect the Mantra to be this expensive.

Godataloss

What speakers are you so attached to?
Some rare veneer Khorns with the Volti Audio upgrades that are pretty highly regarded in the community. They're obviously not the end all/ be all- but they do so much right now, are so much fun and are visually interesting as well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some rare veneer Khorns with the Volti Audio upgrades that are pretty highly regarded in the community. They're obviously not the end all/ be all- but they do so much right now, are so much fun and are visually interesting as well.
Ahhh... Horns explains it. I like horns too. They sound so live with impact and sizzle on the trumpets and snap in the snare etc. :D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two systems. I'd probably take the best of each:

Raspberry-pi running ROPIEEXL->RME ADI-2 DAC->(either class D amp, March Audio or NAD c298) ->Revel F228Be

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don't know about that to be honest, like sure it's exciting but like It's really difficult to think of a reason why one would buy it over the D&D. asthetically it's inferior (and like i don't usually put this at the beginning of such discussions but we're talking about 1%ers money here), from what has been shared measurements wise the Dutch&Dutch also wipes the floor with it (and the Kii) because of its flawless 8-inch waveguide and the fact that it is not full range and the 8C also having superb standalone streaming and integration stuff like you mentioned makes it a very hard sell. I really didn't expect the Mantra to be this expensive.
Aesthetics and price difficult to quantify, personally I very much like the slightly threatening look of the Manta, and in terms of price a completely integrated ( sub integration pre-configured built in peq etc) 4-way Manta system is in the same ball park as passive ATC 50s.
Let’s see what they actually sound like when they arrive.
Keith

JonK99

I would love to get my money back and re-buy my five Revel Concerta2 speakers. I paid full price and they're all on sale now!

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t think anyone should aim for anything lower than the LS50 Meta.
Most people who are not serious music / home theatre enthusiasts are just fine with many options that cost 1/10th what the Metas do. Even for enthusiasts, for lots of people a pair of JBL active monitors at $400/pair coupled with a $300 DAC/pre is all the performance they'll ever need.

fubarnow

Most people who are not serious music / home theatre enthusiasts are just fine with many options that cost 1/10th what the Metas do. Even for enthusiasts, for lots of people a pair of JBL active monitors at $400/pair coupled with a $300 DAC/pre is all the performance they'll ever need.
There are a lot of speakers that give LS50's a run for performance
even at lower prices.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like others I like my current setup and my Theil 2.4's. I think I'd change to class D going all digital as I rarely use my TT, maybe a Lyngdorf Audio TDAI‑1120 or Mindsp SHD Power and some in-wall speakers and subs. All-in-One unseen electronics with Roon control and music coming from the walls. That's my vision. Cost would be about the same in todays dollars if I install the speakers myself.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I’m living through the proposed scenario right now. We had Hurricane Ian visit us with 40” of the Gulf of Mexico 9/28/22. I voted for option 2 but won’t necessarily need to spend the entire amount recovered, which is still to be determined. We still have a couple months until we get back in and settled.

Thankfully our excess flood insurance (structural coverage) finally came through this morning. We are waiting on the excess contents $ amount to be confirmed before I’ll have clarity on replacing all that was lost.

Home theater in the family room isn’t my highest priority and I’ve settled in with some older gear and speakers. Will have new subs for it.

My man cave 2 channel room is my baby and will be total departure from its previous setup but not because it wasn’t enjoyed deeply. Time to move on.

@Ron Texas feel for ya and what you’ve been through.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Muddywaters yikes. My advice is to take care of the basics first to get your home up and running. Take your time on the electronics. I went from a converted 2 car garage to a much smaller 3rd floor room, but it works. Don't worry about the crap you have to throw away. I t might be a benefit.

Top Bottom